Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Will there be a different animation when high level players interact with low level mobs?

oddern92oddern92 Member
edited June 2021 in General Discussion
ive thought about this alot, and think it would be really cool. how if the fireball only deals damage and has an animation on mobs thats somewhat equal to your level, but if a high level player kills a low level mob with a fireball it would turn to ashes or explode. would be a great little touch to show the power of high level players, and something i have not seen before. only in anime

Comments

• Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like the idea in general. I think there could be a cheap and dirty way to implement something like this.

Just by having the size of the partial effects for skill scale with the players level within a set range.
    It would not have to be in such a way that a level 50 fireball is 50X the size of a level 1 characters.
    Or they could scale it based on how many ranks you put into the skill.

I know that is not full on different animations like you are asking for. I feel like what I am suggesting is an easier alternative.

I would not want the animation team to have to make a bunch of tiers of animations for every skill unless they were into that sort of thing, but I do like the concept.

In DDO I always liked how your tumble skill would change the animation for using the tumble action. I think it was at +40 tumble you started doing flips. Very cool stuff. Most skills in DDO did not have different animations, so I think the tumble thing was a one off example.

As for anime... you could put all of your points into explosion...
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    People have complained that much about the skill animations, I don't suppose they're going to risk making any special out-of-the-ordinary effects. Blame all the whingers.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    daveywavey wrote: »
    People have complained that much about the skill animations, I don't suppose they're going to risk making any special out-of-the-ordinary effects. Blame all the whingers.

This is potentially true.

I absolutely don't see Intrepid having a different cast animation or skill flight animation for anything based on target level. This would require an additional check to every single skill cast in the game, and that would add up to a significant amount of resourcces.

What I could see though, is a unique death animation if the kill shot did (as an example) 50% or more of the mobs total HP.

To me, this would be a nice touch.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »

I absolutely don't see Intrepid having a different cast animation or skill flight animation for anything based on target level. This would require an additional check to every single skill cast in the game, and that would add up to a significant amount of resourcces.

What I could see though, is a unique death animation if the kill shot did (as an example) 50% or more of the mobs total HP.

What do you imagine with this unique death animation? The body turning into more or less ashes?
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2021
    I have a feeling the devs won't have mobs explode because that will give even more incentive to one-shotting low level, non-threat mobs.
    "Just the fact that it was fun to kill would have been enough for them to eradicate all living things on the surface."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFNxJVTJleE
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    I have a feeling the devs won't have mobs explode because that will give even more incentive to one-shotting low level, non-threat mobs.
    "Just the fact that it was fun to kill would have been enough for them to eradicate all living things on the surface."

Up to and including Lord British himself...
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Noaani wrote: »

What do you imagine with this unique death animation? The body turning into more or less ashes?

I dont really have anything in mind yet. What ever the final animations end up being, just a bit more deathy.