Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Why are the cosmetics so expensive?

AltanAltan Member
edited June 2021 in Support & FAQ
I heard of the game for quite a while now but I didn't know there was cosmetics you could already get. But why they gotta be so expensive tho? I would have loved to support the game by getting cosmetics but like $375 for the whole pack, damn... can't there be a pack with no currency, no key, just all cosmetics to lower the price?
Also I saw cosmetics have been rotating, are previous one gone for good? Ngl that kinda turn me off 'cause I saw things I would have loved to have but know I'll never be able to ever

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The cosmetics are not expensive.
    Beta access is expensive. Makes sure you are interested in testing, rather than playing, the Beta.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Wait to buy cosmetics when the game goes live.

These are support packs, not products.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    You cannot go back and buy prior cosmetics. Once they are gone, they are gone. But as @Dygz pointed out, most of the cost relates to things besides the cosmetics, so just get cosmetics.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I can't tell you for sure, but I have my own speculation.

If the price was too low, it would encourage people to try and collect them, this would be bad in a number of ways. First off, it would just be an anti consumer practice. Second, high sales volume from low prices might make them not be special for anyone. Third, it might make people more likely to fall into the unintended FOMO mindset. There are likely more reasons beyond this to not have a low price.

The reason for a higher price might be because a slightly higher price is required to make the support meaningful. Especially when you would sale more with lower prices, but have reasons not to. I think it is also an intended barrier to entry to keep people who are only slightly interested from supporting a game they don't understand yet.

If you watched a few videos on YouTube and came away thinking Ashes is WOW 2.0 and that really interested you. Then you went to the website and found cheap supporter packs. You might invest in something based on a misunderstanding. A harsher price would get more people to really think hard about what they are backing.

This is all just theory. I am sure there are many reasons why Intrepid set the prices the way they do.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Hiya friend! Once you already have a Pre-Order Pack, you are able to grab the cosmetics on an individual basis in future months. The initial Pre-Order Packs include a variety of bonuses, such as test access, game time, Embers (cosmetic shop currency), and more!

Yes, cosmetics are only available during a certain window, and once they're gone, they're gone for good! We always share the start/end dates for these items when we announce them in places like our news page here.

I'm going to go ahead and move this thread on over to our Support & FAQ section and close it out, but please don't hesitate to reach back out if there's anything else we can assist with in the meantime!
    community_management.gif
This discussion has been closed.