Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Wish Lists - Too Exploitable?

Found an archived thread on the topic of not being able to trade/sell Cash Shop items in the game, here:

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/comment/136458#Comment_136458

Was wondering if - just maybe there were certain restrictions on them - that maybe a "Wish List" could work?

What if we had the option to place something like 1 to 3 specific items on our Wish Lists that other players could gift us, but only after they'd been on our Wish Lists for a month+?

Or would this still possess too much potential for exploitation and gold-trading/selling?

Comments

• Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    4th answer down in the thread.

go back and read it. I happen to agree with Steven.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    To be more specific to the above, if there was a wishlist system as per the OP, that would just mean people can buy an item for a person that is on their wishlist in exchange for gold or what ever.

The idea of the item needing to be on said list for a month isnt a barrier, it just means people will always have items on their wishlist, so that they can always sell items/gold for money.
  • Options
    McShaveMcShave Member
    edited June 2021
    What if you could buy them as gifts, and send it to other player's accounts. Then it's not really trading for gold, its just buying something for someone. There is the chance for selling gifts for gold, but I imagine those can be found quite easy with player and account monitoring. Also the things you buy in the store are purely visual, so it can't be called P2W. It just allows players the chance to make themselves look like a badass, which we all agree that Intrepid is already selling to players in their store.

edit: just saw that it was in that 4th comment in the linked thread. I agree with that guy lol
  • Options
    McShave wrote: »
    What if you could buy them as gifts, and send it to other player's accounts. Then it's not really trading for gold, its just buying something for someone. There is the slight chance for selling gifts for gold, but I imagine those can be found quite easy with player and account monitoring.

edit: just saw that it was in that 4th comment in the linked thread. I agree with that guy lol

You give me gold, I buy you a "gift".

The end result is I have bought gold for cash.

As for catching people doing this - that is easier said than done. If you look at a week - or even a month - of transactions between the accounts of me and my brother in past games we have played together, you would see what to many would appear to be RMT going on. I'd often buy him things either in the store, or pay his subscription for a few months. Since he had more time than me, it wasn't uncommon for him to send me fairly expensive things that I had need for.

Without looking in to a 6 month+ history, such things would be indistinguishable from people buying a gift for someone and getting gold in return.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    What if you could buy them as gifts, and send it to other player's accounts. Then it's not really trading for gold, its just buying something for someone. There is the slight chance for selling gifts for gold, but I imagine those can be found quite easy with player and account monitoring.

You give me gold, I buy you a "gift".

The end result is I have bought gold for cash.

As for catching people doing this - that is easier said than done. If you look at a week - or even a month - of transactions between the accounts of me and my brother in past games we have played together, you would see what to many would appear to be RMT going on.

My opinion on the RMT aspect is that I don't want it, but it is inevitable. The main reason I don't mind it in Ashes cash shop items is that none of them have stats, they are purely visual. If someone is spending a resource gathered in game for the purchase of cash shop items, it sounds ok to me. There will be RMT in this game, Intrepid can't stop it, so why stop RMT of purchased cosmetics? It would help if Intrepid had really good sensors from blocking mass selling of shop purchased goods, and to keep it more for purchasing for friends and family. As long as these gifts are given from account to account, and not on a marketplace in game, I'm cool with it.
  • Options
    My opinion on the RMT aspect is that I don't want it, but it is inevitable.
    I agree with this 100%.

To further this perspective, imagine you are Intrepid.

You know people are going to RMT in some manner. As such, you are going to do what you can to catch it.

When you do catch someone, you are obviously going to have to ban them, assuming you are fairly sure that RMT is what is going on.

Now, if you are in this situation, would you rather it be that you are banning someone that bought something from a third party or gave the other player cash directly, or someone that bought a thing off of you and your company and traded it to that other player?

I know that if it were me, I would want to do literally everything I could to keep out of that second situation.