Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Crafting Material Quality

When collecting raw materials for crafting, will the raw materials have a range of stats or will 'wood' just be 'wood'?

Going way back, SWG had a system where certain locations would yield a raw materials with a varied stat profile. These varied materials would then yield varied end products; and I always loved that.

It allowed crafters to keep a 'secret stash' of their best materials which they could use to create a superior version of the crafted item. This gave the economy and extra tier when really seeking out the best gear.

Seems like the kind of thing Ashes would be have.

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think different types of wood will be used for different blueprints...which will have the same result as quality tiers.
    Similar to Landmark.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Cerio wrote: »
    When collecting raw materials for crafting, will the raw materials have a range of stats or will 'wood' just be 'wood'?

Going way back, SWG had a system where certain locations would yield a raw materials with a varied stat profile. These varied materials would then yield varied end products; and I always loved that.

It allowed crafters to keep a 'secret stash' of their best materials which they could use to create a superior version of the crafted item. This gave the economy and extra tier when really seeking out the best gear.

Seems like the kind of thing Ashes would be have.

You are somewhat correct in your assumption with how this is planned to be - the developers even cite SWG as the influence for the system they have in mind.

To me though, I would expect that quality number to not be made obvious to players.

Since the quality of resources is what determines the result of a crafting endeavor, and DPS is what determines the result of a raid endeavor, it seems only fitting that either both are made obvious to players or both are obfuscated.

Since we know that raid DPS will be obfuscated - thus giving raiders no real way of knowing how well they are doing and thus no real way of knowing how their rewards are likely to be, it seems only fitting that the same applies to crafting.

It would be hypocritical of Intrepid to not do that, imo.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    From what I have seen and read, that is the intention.
    Resources will have differing levels of quality for the same resource type.[4] This is somewhat similar to Star Wars Galaxies.[29]

Full details here:
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Resources

That being said, I would temper expectations for any system in the game. I would temper those expectations more so for things the DEVs rarely talk much about. The crafting system is one of those things we don't hear enough about at this time.

I want that SWG depth too.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    CerioCerio Member
    Oh that's awesome. I guess that system was pretty great if it stuck in the minds of these developers as well.

Thanks for the quick answer guys.