Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Character Creation

angelicshiyaangelicshiya Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
Ashes’ character creator is supposed to be the best of the best. But I think they’re leaving out an important aspect. It would be great if you could alter the posture and walking/running animation to suit the style of your character. I just feel like many people wanna make a lord sidious-style character, but that wouldn’t work well with perfect posture and the default running animation.

I know I personally want to make and old (age/look selection) heavyset (thickness/weight selection/scale) High priest that leads one of the key roles in the religion aspect. I don't want to be forced to be the standard skinny/lean male; and the most you can change is better defined abs.

If I am old or fat, is it too much to ask for different walk/run animations then the standard RP walk tall and straight, shoulders side to side. Maybe if I choose to make an old character, in my presets I choose to have my old priest walk with a hunch back or lean to the side slightly while walking. Not my 70 year old priest walk/run as if I'm Usain bolt or some young athletic new adventurer.

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Might be too much to ask at launch, but... I think we don't know if that's planned.
    I think it's not planned, though.
    I was hoping for something similar for Landmark and EQNext. They had Heroic Movement and I was hoping we could also get Villainous Movement.

Pretty sure the sliders in Character Creation will allow us to create fat characters, but that's unlikely to affect movement or posture.
  • Options
    Sov54Sov54 Member
    In my opinion movement should be standarized, I can imagine people misusing those weird characteristics to make stupid characters, or exploiting it for PvP/hitbox purposes.

But making old skinny/fat (within reasonable margins) ugly characters? I hope so. Can't see myself playing a kpop-band warrior.
  • Options
    Lark WyllLark Wyll Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like the idea of different movement styles or gaits depending on race. Possibly as an achievement for going full corruption line you could unlock a more sinister looking movement. But could be too much work for too few among the player base.

It's cliche but I'd root for peg leg's for seafaring.
    u3usdraa7gs1.png

• Options
    MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ashes’ character creator is supposed to be the best of the best. But I think they’re leaving out an important aspect. It would be great if you could alter the posture and walking/running animation to suit the style of your character. I just feel like many people wanna make a lord sidious-style character, but that wouldn’t work well with perfect posture and the default running animation.

I know I personally want to make and old (age/look selection) heavyset (thickness/weight selection/scale) High priest that leads one of the key roles in the religion aspect. I don't want to be forced to be the standard skinny/lean male; and the most you can change is better defined abs.

If I am old or fat, is it too much to ask for different walk/run animations then the standard RP walk tall and straight, shoulders side to side. Maybe if I choose to make an old character, in my presets I choose to have my old priest walk with a hunch back or lean to the side slightly while walking. Not my 70 year old priest walk/run as if I'm Usain bolt or some young athletic new adventurer.

Honestly I'd prefer if the skeletons were completely standardized like in ESO. Right now the style of the gear you wear changes based on your race and I think shared animations is a perfectly fine price if it means everyone can access all the looks of the gear in game.
    ZeFuP1X.png
    If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.
  • Options
    angelicshiyaangelicshiya Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2021
    I am not saying them being fat/old means the characters technically "have" to run slower, just that we have options that would realistically show how and old person would walk. Or a fat person, maybe his belly giggles as he walks or he walks with a slight hunch because his belly is holding him back.
  • Options
    I played a UFC game awhile ago that let you basically upload a picture of your face and map it to your character. I'm one of those very boring human males that like to make my character look like me in every game. I'd love some kind of feature like this. The character creator in code vein is also pretty good (in addition to BDO) if they can get something like this out for people to play around and test maybe around beta time or right before the release that would be lit. one last thing is a custom bio option, some people love being able to type up their characters bio and other people just leave it blank. it doesn't affect gameplay but its fun for folks who are super into RP
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I have to agree that it is a bit of a large ask to have different walking animations, postures, ect in the character creator on one hand.

That being said, if they truly want to be "the best of the best" it is going to be hard when they leave out opportunities for character creation features that other games do so well.

I did make a thread a while ago focused on the importance of a good character creator.
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/48710/was-board-ranked-mmorpg-character-creators-lets-talk-about-it/p1

My main motivation for a robust character creator is not some RP reasons, but because Intrepid made the claim that they want to make the best character creator. Well, as someone who spends up to six hours making a single new character in a game like City of Heros. I want the best of the best. The Ashes DEVs use BDO as an example of good character creation, and BDO ain't the game to beat.

So as much as I think the walking animation's customization is a bit of a hard to do feature ask. I also think it is quite needed. No doubt if City of Heros stayed alive. It would have seen such features. They added improved the character creator over the life of the game to because it was a very character focused MMORPG (if not the most ever).

Ashes is might need these customizable animations because games like WOW and FFXIV are starting to do it on a small scale and PSO2 is doing it on large scale.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.