No Kid-Toons, Correct?

The wiki presently specifically mentions that there will be no "low-lies" (the forums *-out the real term, despite the fact that it's used in the Wiki thread, so I assume this term is somehow derogatory):

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Character#Character_appearance

Will this mean no kid-toons at all, or would it be inappropriate? Scanned this section of the Wiki pretty thoroughly, and there's (presently) no mention that toons *must* be adults.

I guess we don't really need them, but as an advocate for RP options? It'd be neat to bring your toon into Verra from Sanctus as a teenager, then add to their age-appearance, as the years go by. Just an idea, as someone who plans to play for the long-haul.

Or does this open the game to all manor of inappropriate-ness?

Comments

• MerekMerek Member
    Not really interested in 'childlike' races, they had that in Tera with the Elin. It's just odd, doesn't add much to the game other than a weird meta-fetish.
  • WizardTimWizardTim Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The wiki presently specifically mentions that there will be no "low-lies" (the forums *-out the real term, despite the fact that it's used in the Wiki thread, so I assume this term is somehow derogatory):

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Character#Character_appearance

Will this mean no kid-toons at all, or would it be inappropriate? Scanned this section of the Wiki pretty thoroughly, and there's (presently) no mention that toons *must* be adults.

I guess we don't really need them, but as an advocate for RP options? It'd be neat to bring your toon into Verra from Sanctus as a teenager, then add to their age-appearance, as the years go by. Just an idea, as someone who plans to play for the long-haul.

Or does this open the game to all manor of inappropriate-ness?

I like where your going with this, but I'm gonna have to just say this isn't really a discussion worth having.

The impact, though kind of cool in terms of potential, isn't worth the arguments with the fanatical plebs who are super touchy about this subject.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I mean we had stuffington :D
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • 3Snap3Snap Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't want kids characters but I do hope they allow us to make short characters. A height slider should be a option, im shorter irl, tall characters look weird to me.
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't want any child-like races in any game I play. I really hate things like the Tarutaru/Lalafell in FF and the Elin in Tara.

Small races like Halflings and Hobbits are fine because they are not modeled after children. When the aesthetic of your race is "child", it is off putting, and I want no part of it.

Yours truly hopes that Ashes stays away from "Child" as a player character aesthetic.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • flameh0tflameh0t Member, Braver of Worlds
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    I don't want any child-like races in any game I play. I really hate things like the Tarutaru/Lalafell in FF and the Elin in Tara.

Small races like Halflings and Hobbits are fine because they are not modeled after children. When the aesthetic of your race is "child", it is off putting, and I want no part of it.

Yours truly hopes that Ashes stays away from "Child" as a player character aesthetic.

Never played Warframe? Super powerful void-child operator as opposed to a standard big beefcake brute was an amazing concept. Loved the idea that the last of the Warframe operators, with the power to crush galaxies, was in the hands of a child who needed guidance.
  • 3Snap wrote: »
    I don't want kids characters but I do hope they allow us to make short characters. A height slider should be a option, im shorter irl, tall characters look weird to me.

Yours truly typically goes the opposite route; When there's a height slider, I go AS TALL as possible, so my toon stands out in crowds. Helps with events-hosting!

• Yours truly typically goes the opposite route; When there's a height slider, I go AS TALL as possible, so my toon stands out in crowds. Helps with events-hosting!

If you're as small as possible, it'll make you harder to target with the point-and-clicky type skills.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fp2svffcmdi83yynpfpexo413mpb1qzxnh3cei0nx&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • daveywavey wrote: »
    Yours truly typically goes the opposite route; When there's a height slider, I go AS TALL as possible, so my toon stands out in crowds. Helps with events-hosting!

If you're as small as possible, it'll make you harder to target with the point-and-clicky type skills.

A genuinely valid point, BUT: once everyone's settled into the game, they'll become accustomed to swapping between the action-targeting and tab-targeting with the toggle-switch (I think 'q' button, from Steven's mention in the latest monthly dev update video); Even if my toon stands out like a 7-foot tall basketball player amongst a crowd of children, making him any shorter will only serve as active camo in group-PvP for so long after release.

Am going High Priest(Cleric/Cleric) for max heal-support, so yours truly usually gets targeted fast enough, anyways.

• Vhaeyne wrote: »

Bro they get disgustingly out of hand over on tera. One of the reasons I stopped playing, aside from the game willfully kicking me for having a worse than average internet connection.
    8vf24h7y7lio.jpg
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • AntVictusAntVictus Member, Alpha One
    I'm fine with not having races like that. I don't understand the want for them either tbh. I usually always have a concern when someone plays one when it's not about being a "meme" which is usually case with the Lala's in FFXIV. I don't like kid races, they don't have a place in games imo.
  • AntVictus wrote: »
    I'm fine with not having races like that. I don't understand the want for them either tbh. I usually always have a concern when someone plays one when it's not about being a "meme" which is usually case with the Lala's in FFXIV. I don't like kid races, they don't have a place in games imo.

Google'd the mentions in this thread with Google Images, and I now have to agree. FF's graphics don't much make it an issue - but that Tera game's kid-looking race looks like it's made for pedo's.

It'd fit better with the lore that all toons would be adults in AoC anyways, since we're all supposed to be of-infamy already, in coming to Verra from Sanctus. Can't expect many 13-year-olds to be people of great renown!

• AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Tera game's kid-looking race looks like it's made for pedo's.

I've had people try to explain that it's not meant to be sexualized but come on. They look like 9-year-olds dressed up as French maids and strippers with animal ears and tails.

Hhak63P.png
  • CaerylCaeryl Member
    “Kid” races are just pedo bait. I don’t trust people who want their characters to look like children
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Caeryl wrote: »
    “Kid” races are just pedo bait. I don’t trust people who want their characters to look like children

This is the one good aspect to such races in games.

It gives you an immediate idea of what the player is likely to be like, and in many cases informs you to just keep well clear of them.

These people are the kind of people that sit by themselves in the back of a theater while an animated movie is on, or play a childrens game like Wizard101 by themself.