Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Immersion - Walking/Running

BigdawgBigdawg Member
edited July 2021 in General Discussion
There was a post not long ago asking us what breaks immersion and for me it’s infinitely being able to sprint everywhere. In almost every mmo everyone is constantly running around frantically. It would be nice to come across people walking around town or down a road to conserve/restore stamina.

I think RuneScape did this pretty well by having a stamina bar that had a very slow regeneration rate while walking. It made towns feel more realistic.

Does anyone know if they will add stamina for running to the game?

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Seems unlikely. Sprint is faster than jogging and has a timer and cooldown.
    There is a walk toggle, but few people will use it during the Preview since each test is only hours long.

• Options
    MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Bigdawg wrote: »
    There was a post not long ago asking us what breaks immersion and for me it’s infinitely being able to sprint everywhere. In almost every mmo everyone is constantly running around frantically. It would be nice to come across people walking around town or down a road to conserve/restore stamina.

I think RuneScape did this pretty well by having a stamina bar that had a very slow regeneration rate while walking. It made towns feel more realistic.

Does anyone know if they will add stamina for running to the game?

Doubtful, sprints are on a timer but forcing everyone to walk in a world as large as Verra would be a nightmare. Your best bet if you want this is to join up w/ one of the roleplay guilds...there are a few wanting to build Nodes together so you can get a few towns that'll have a pretty large RP presence where people would be more likely to walk about
    ZeFuP1X.png
    If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.
  • Options
    cyanideinsanitycyanideinsanity Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    This isn't a survival game so I'd bet it would end up just feeling tedious to many. RS has had plenty of instant fast travel options even during the classic days, where ashes is going for minimal amounts of faster travel

We'll also have mounts, which are to be unlocked from "an early quest in the starting areas".
  • Options
    GrihmGrihm Member
    Every game should have Walk - jog - sprint.
    As for immersion, mine is broken in half as soon as you enter any area and all you get is jumping, sprinting people around you, even if they are moving 10 feet.
  • Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yes, seeing people running (and worse, jumping) everywhere is a problem with "immersion"
    Also, there is not only this for a game, there is game design, walking for 33% less speed can become fast really frustrating.

so prefer the running everywhere than being forced walk half of the time.
  • Options
    I feel like it wouldn’t be too bad if they implemented a auto path feature similar to the one in BDO. The mounts should serve the purpose of being the most efficient way to travel longer distances.

Maybe be forced into a jog when depleted and while walking you regenerate stamina so that you’re never truly forced to just walk.

It’s just always been weird to me seeing everyone run and jump constantly in every mmo. Imagine going shopping downtown (IRL) and seeing everyone running everywhere lmao
  • Options
    it is weird yes
    and horse doesnt does all work
    imagine getting form ennemy to ennemy when you have 10 to kill walking : less weird, more realist but... god... i wouldnt be able to quest like this without raging on each quest.

Realism is nice, but fun is better. And the frustration due to what you ask would be clearly not fun...

Also, you think in "immersion" side, in "roleplay" thought
    but get on the side of the large part (probably majority) who dont care about "immersion" and roleplay. . .
    They wont stay on a game with such frustrating mechanic just because it is "better for immersion"
  • Options
    hleVhleV Member
    edited July 2021
    Jumping is worse than running IMHO. It should be replaced with vaulting, so you only jump if there's an obstacle, either automatically or via button press.

I don't RP but I totally wouldn't mind some limitation to running on foot as long as we have other means to travel faster (mounts?). Walking is obviously gonna be too slow and annoying for 99% of the playerbase, but jogging would be fine I guess.
  • Options
    ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I feel like it wouldn’t be too bad if they implemented a auto path feature similar to the one in BDO.

Ppl like you are why we have that trash feature lmfao
  • Options
    People would just find some other annoying thing to do to make travel less boring.
  • Options
    I like seeing players jumping everywhere
  • Options
    Conrad wrote: »
    I feel like it wouldn’t be too bad if they implemented a auto path feature similar to the one in BDO.

I’m not fully supportive of the auto path. I was just thinking of a way to compromise for the casual player base. I actually hate BDO with a passion because that was the final game that made me give up on mmo genre.
  • Options
    MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

For as large of a world as Verra is meant to be I don't think auto-pathing on roads would be all that bad of an idea.
    ZeFuP1X.png
    If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.
  • Options
    ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Maezriel wrote: »

For as large of a world as Verra is meant to be I don't think auto-pathing on roads would be all that bad of an idea.

Any sort of auto pathing is bad. Players should play not auto a game
  • Options
    I doubt the devs want auto-pathing in Ashes.
  • Options
    After thinking it over I believe the majority of the player base would be against it and for good reason. We don’t want this game to be a hand holding session like others.

The only form I would be okay with is some type of carriage ride you could pay for to get to another town. Ferries going down rivers and across oceans would be cool also.
  • Options
    MerekMerek Member
    edited July 2021

Look, I have to agree with the auto-path crowd. The game world is just too large. Also, I find grinding pretty hard too, can we add an auto-combat option? I want to work but I also want to level, thanks.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Auto-path is on BDO where you goes really faster without it. It is a first point. If you are bored and do autopath in BDO you go slower than if you controll horse (ok, there is sprint in autopath for arti5 in the lifeskill, but you can go even faster with the drift-accel spam)
    In AoC the speed difference between autowalk and controlled is just the skill sometime (and you can do it while watching a youtube video on other screen :p)

Other thing : in BDO travels remain short, autopath grana => valencia is what... 20 minutes ? And the game entirely is mind with being able to be played even while sleeping/working/killing rabbits with afk fishing, the craft system (which can consume lot of time), and the benefits of workers h24. the autopath is just a thing in this whole system. all this game philosophy.

A game is not Feature A + feature B + QoL C + Content D + Class E
    it is a global idea, and the mmorpg is better if all A, B, C, D and E are bind to this global idea/philosophy

I like it in bdo, really. But on other side, when i see what AoC is aiming, it would be a really bad thing :

The world is vast, travels will be longer than most (any?) mmorpg (without the teleport which is everywhere now). It is clearly wanted. else, there would be more than scientific metropolis to be linked together with the big transport thing.Even more, the citizenship in a city, the fact you can have 1 house in one city, 1 appartment in another (or same) and 1 freehold anywhere is also a way to limit people to non stop travel everywhere. When i see all this and other thing, it is clear that autopath, that totally negate the time of travelling is the ennemy of the global idea around the place of our character in the world.

The autopath : i know i can do this way the travel from where i am to my destination in 45 minutes ? ok, i set up the autopath before doing the diner.
    3 hours? ok, lets set up the autopath and then, an automatic shutdown of the computer. so it is done while i sleep/work.
    With this, no more "real" travel time.

To finish it was clearly said there wouldn't be system to autofarm/autoplay. if you want anything, do it with your hand. If you want to go anywhere far away, reduce the window, push the autowalk button, and watch a stream/video/forum topic/last twitter drama, etc. (or on second screen if you have a second one)
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Merek wrote: »

Look, I have to agree with the auto-path crowd. The game world is just too large. Also, I find grinding pretty hard too, can we add an auto-combat option? I want to work but I also want to level, thanks.

The idea is that you generally spend most of your time around your node.

Leaving your general "home" area is supposed to be something of an excursion, something you spend some time preparing for - not something you afk from.
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    edited July 2021
    Merek wrote: »

To further expand on this, the simplest and most effective counterpoint to it is this,

Anything that you can do on autopilot is bad game design. Make the game better instead of skippable/ignorable.
    Reasonable time spent traveling and manually traversing terrain is baseline content as much as people refuse to admit it.

Also, the game is large for a reason, auto-pathing completely tramples over that reason.

Gamers have become too entitled after being spoiled by conveniences catered to the lowest common denominator.