How will gear work?

Hello everyone who clicks their way into this thread
As the title suggests im asking how the gear will work. ive seen a few bits and bobs around on twitter/youtube about "tier 10 gear, tier 20 gear" etc but i am not really sure what that means or how that works.
Will there not be a random factor in gear such as random gear & weaponry dropping from monsters/dungeons that all look diffrent with diffrent affixes that we get to choose and build from? will it be more towards a predestined gear set that everyone will run around in sporting more or less the same gear other than looking diffrent with transmog?

would love for anyone who know to chime in and give me some answers!

Comments

• George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    There is 0 info.
    What we have now are placeholders.

But expect gear to be valuable. Not just free random loot from instanced pve runs, or battleground vendors.
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2021
    99% of all gear will be crafted. Mobs will drop materials vs completed gear.
    We know next nothing about stats and what teritary stats will or won't be present.
    Crafters will be able to "allocate" stats to some degree as well as astetics.
    Check the wiki for more. My phone doesn't like to link properly.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
    There will be gear drops from open world rbs and instanced content.

Mobs will have a chance to drop whole items if you are really lucky.

All gear will be tradable. There was no mention about bound gear on character/account.
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Didn't they say at one point only super rare legendary gear might be soul bound?
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
    Didn't they say at one point only super rare legendary gear might be soul bound?

Maybe, but that doesnt paint the picture of the gear game.
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The great thing about Intrepid is that they specifically always say that they want to hear what you think, and Gear is one of those situations where they definitely care about what you think.

But for the precise question. The intention so far is to have a new gear set available every 5 levels, and a slightly more complex silhouette that tells you something about the player's gear at that Tier. In the Alpha Preview now, for example, if you see someone with a 'cape' you know they are wearing level 15 gear. I don't believe there is any 'low level cape'.

Gear will almost always be crafted, gear that is not quite as good might be purchaseable. Most of the time, you will need the level 5 version of the gear to make the level 15 version (this is much less strongly indicated/confirmed than the other stuff I noted).

In terms of stats, the current placeholders affect your Damage mitigation of either Physical or Magical types. At another tier they add some Mana or Health. At the third tier they seem to have some other effects like 'Chance of resisting CC' or 'Chance of applying CC' or other little things.

This is likely to be entirely placeholder, since Steven has expressed a strong interest in having other, more complex builds and stats, whereas these ones are easy to use for basic tests and observations in Sieges and really early gameplay without running into the main pitfalls of gear design too early in development.

If your concerns (if any) are about how gear is obtained, I hope I've answered your question. If you want to know about what stats gear will have on it or what it will be like overall, that's still an open discussion. There are currently two threads somewhere within the first two pages that touch on it, but nothing serious yet since most people are having the 'we need to wait and see' reaction.

But then there are people like me and a few others that will happily discuss the entire thing, out of trust that this is what Intrepid wants us to do.

So if you want opinions on how gear should work, that can be a thing.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

Azherae wrote: »
    The great thing about Intrepid is that they specifically always say that they want to hear what you think, and Gear is one of those situations where they definitely care about what you think.

But for the precise question. The intention so far is to have a new gear set available every 5 levels, and a slightly more complex silhouette that tells you something about the player's gear at that Tier. In the Alpha Preview now, for example, if you see someone with a 'cape' you know they are wearing level 15 gear. I don't believe there is any 'low level cape'.

Gear will almost always be crafted, gear that is not quite as good might be purchaseable. Most of the time, you will need the level 5 version of the gear to make the level 15 version (this is much less strongly indicated/confirmed than the other stuff I noted).

In terms of stats, the current placeholders affect your Damage mitigation of either Physical or Magical types. At another tier they add some Mana or Health. At the third tier they seem to have some other effects like 'Chance of resisting CC' or 'Chance of applying CC' or other little things.

This is likely to be entirely placeholder, since Steven has expressed a strong interest in having other, more complex builds and stats, whereas these ones are easy to use for basic tests and observations in Sieges and really early gameplay without running into the main pitfalls of gear design too early in development.

If your concerns (if any) are about how gear is obtained, I hope I've answered your question. If you want to know about what stats gear will have on it or what it will be like overall, that's still an open discussion. There are currently two threads somewhere within the first two pages that touch on it, but nothing serious yet since most people are having the 'we need to wait and see' reaction.

But then there are people like me and a few others that will happily discuss the entire thing, out of trust that this is what Intrepid wants us to do.

Interesting. Source...?
    This is the thing I assume you're asking for source on. If not, let me know which aspect, since the rest is either stuff from within the Alpha or specifics from other streams that are based on that linked one (e.g. the precise 'every five levels' thing, I would have to search much harder for, though I am confident that I remember it)

I am sure that gear wont be "tier per 5 lv".
    That's some ff14 stuff right there.

Since gear will take effort to craft it will be more likely carry you for 20lv early on, then 15 then 10 and at end game it will be a top tier for the remaining 5lvs.
    edited July 2021
    I am sure that gear wont be "tier per 5 lv".
    That's some ff14 stuff right there.

Since gear will take effort to craft it will be more likely carry you for 20lv early on, then 15 then 10 and at end game it will be a top tier for the remaining 5lvs.

Ok well, if you're sure, I'll leave it at that. If I come across where I heard it, I'll add it, but I probably won't search if you're confident, since that sort of implies that you think that they will have to change it even if that's their intention.

However, I will note that the leveling rate they've implied matches 'every 5 levels'.

Level 5 after the initial rapid level burst, cheap armor bought from someone.
    Level 10 to make you feel like you progressed from level 5. Then another 6-8 hours with that gear, minimum.
    Level 15, probably don't change all your gear, but whatever you can afford, then another 10-12 hours with that gear. Enough economy online to choose if to do this or not.
    Level 20, same thing, upgrade all the stuff you didn't upgrade at 10, for sure. Economy works enough, high supply of level 10 stuff people selling off to use as materials. Another 16-20 hours leveling with this gear.
    Level 25 - Definitely new gear tier since you'll get secondary Archetype here and want to be able to. Then another 24-30 hours leveling with this gear (Only 70h of the expected 270 so far)
    Level 30 - everything beyond here is close to 40 hours spent in the gear every five levels.

Like I said, I'll link it if I happen across it again. There's a lot of content of Steven and Jeff saying stuff like that, so if anyone else happens to find it or remember where it is, let us know.

I dont know for sure. It just makes sense
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    LMAO
    I don't think gear will carry people for 20 levels since max is 50.
    The devs want to make Artisans meaningful and it's not meaningful you only have to get a new set of gear from Artisans every 20 levels.

Currently, in the Alpha One Preview, gear sets appear to be around every 5 levels.
    And those come with different tiers of stats.
    Also, each of the Artisan types - Armorsmith, Blacksmith, Alchemist - comes in at least 3 tiers of mastery... which makes sense as our max in the Alpha One Preview is Level 15.
    edited July 2021
    Lmao
    There is 0 info.
    What we have now are placeholders.

But expect gear to be valuable. Not just free random loot from instanced pve runs, or battleground vendors.

You think spending a lot of effort to gather materials with guilds or friend, in order to craft every 5 lv is "meaningful artisanship" in early lvs?

I would expect a char lv 1-15 to equip ONE tier of gear.

edited July 2021
    Once again you come and say "here is what we ALL have seen in A1".

Is this the context of the thread? A1 gameplay, or how will gear work in an mmo that wants to bring back risk v reward and challenging progress?
  • HulkenHulken Member

what i personally am hoping for is that there is a good amount of random gear from grinding mobs/quests/world events, treasure you find to allow for some personal build.

just an example: Friend of mine is a Spellhunter he finds a Bow that gives "+5 to Spell damage"
    and i find a Bow that gives +5 to Mana regen (take these affixes as placeholders, i know these probably wont be there)
    He now has a choice of wich one would fit his character/build the best for this given time.

my hope is that stuff like this exists to allow for you to build your character after what you feel you need rather than a system where its more or less predicted from level 1 what your gear will be. i feel like that kind of system will become stagnant real quick. (the tier 5-10-20) sets. i wouldnt mind if crafting gear would be a very big thing in the game but i do very much hope they have gear drops in the game and not having them be too rare. there is players who enjoy crafting and there is people who enjoys grinding and exploration. giving em both the satisfaction dont feel like too much to ask for i would say.

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    This is the thing I assume you're asking for source on. If not, let me know which aspect, since the rest is either stuff from within the Alpha or specifics from other streams that are based on that linked one (e.g. the precise 'every five levels' thing, I would have to search much harder for, though I am confident that I remember it)

Honestly, I didn't hear anything in that question that was in the post of yours.

The only real thing that can be taken away from the answer given to that question was that yes, gear will have a level requirement, and you could also infer from it that at the point of that stream, they didn't really have much more to say about gear than that.

Also, nothing in relation to gear in alpha right now should be talked about in terms of the finished game. None of it will make it that far, other than appearances.
    I mean....
    The way it currently works in the Alpha is more like:
    The Boots of the Mighty you can equip at Level 5 will give you a +1% to Physical Disable Modifier, Physical Skill Cooldown, and Physical Evasion Bonus while the Boots you can equip at Level 10 will give you +3%.
    The Boots of the Sacred Flame you can equip at Level 5 will give you a +1% to Magical Crit Rate, Magic Skill Cooldown, and Magical Disable Chance while the Boots you can equip at Level 10 will give you +3%

That's actually a simplified version, but we will be able to share screenshots in a few hours.
    Gear won't be "predictable", but it's likely that gear will be restricted by level. And, based on the current design, the different tiers will be every 5 levels rather than every 20 levels.
    You could try wearing Level 5 gear at Level 25 if you want to. Sure.
  • HulkenHulken Member
    Dygz wrote: »
    I mean....
    The Boots of the Mighty you can equip at Level 5 will give you a +1% to Physical Disable Modifier, Physical Skill Cooldown, and Physical Evasion Bonus while the Boots you can equip at Level 10 will give you +3%.
    The Boots of the Sacred Flame you can equip at Level 5 will give you a +1% to Magical Crit Rate, Magic Skill Cooldown, and Magical Disable Chance while the Boots you can equip at Level 10 will give you +3%

That's actually a simplified version, but we will be able to share screenshots in a few hours.
    Gear won't be "predictable", but it's likely that gear will be restricted by level. And, based on the current design, the different tiers will be every 5 levels rather than every 20 levels.

having gear being locked to levels isnt bad. thats just fine, all im worried about is gear being very very stale, nothing you can grind for out in the world etc. as mentioned "a rare drop from a monster" for example. its 2 diffrent games, but think world of warcraft classic, you're out slaying boars, majority of everything you will pick up is going to be tusks and eyeballs. but on occasion, you might run into a sword or a shield or a leather tunic. that RNG element
    edited July 2021
    You don't quite grind for gear - you mostly grind for resources and then have the gear crafted and enchanted.
    Hulken wrote: »
    I mean....

having gear being locked to levels isnt bad. thats just fine, all im worried about is gear being very very stale, nothing you can grind for out in the world etc. as mentioned "a rare drop from a monster" for example. its 2 diffrent games, but think world of warcraft classic, you're out slaying boars, majority of everything you will pick up is going to be tusks and eyeballs. but on occasion, you might run into a sword or a shield or a leather tunic. that RNG element

This is generally best handled not by the dropping of gear, but by rare drops that are used to enhance gear or change 'slots' on the gear.

When gear drops, the player has to decide if they care about it, then they have to decide if anyone else is likely to care about it, then they have to find a way to sell it, either by finding the person who cares about it, or someone else who believes they can find someone who cares about it.

Crafters almost always care. They're hoarders. They'll keep piles of Special Webweaver Silk and Sunseeker Horns and Ancient Armor Gems piled up in their houses forever if you let them, which means the economy works a bit better. If you have the gear drop, it's not bad, because some Crafters will deconstruct it for materials anyway, but this causes Intrepid to have to watch out for a bunch of tiny balance problems. Also, the materials can't even be allowed to be 'that good'.

If you find an Ancient Armor Gem, hold onto it until you find a Crafter who can put it into Gear for you, or hand it to a friend. If you find some Imposing Plate Boots that happen to have a slightly higher Physical Skill Cooldown Reduction modifier than most of the same level, it's definitely nice and might make you feel cool, but there's lots of little problems that spring up.

• HulkenHulken Member
    I mean....

This is generally best handled not by the dropping of gear, but by rare drops that are used to enhance gear or change 'slots' on the gear.

When gear drops, the player has to decide if they care about it, then they have to decide if anyone else is likely to care about it, then they have to find a way to sell it, either by finding the person who cares about it, or someone else who believes they can find someone who cares about it.

Crafters almost always care. They're hoarders. They'll keep piles of Special Webweaver Silk and Sunseeker Horns and Ancient Armor Gems piled up in their houses forever if you let them, which means the economy works a bit better. If you have the gear drop, it's not bad, because some Crafters will deconstruct it for materials anyway, but this causes Intrepid to have to watch out for a bunch of tiny balance problems. Also, the materials can't even be allowed to be 'that good'.

If you find an Ancient Armor Gem, hold onto it until you find a Crafter who can put it into Gear for you, or hand it to a friend. If you find some Imposing Plate Boots that happen to have a slightly higher Physical Skill Cooldown Reduction modifier than most of the same level, it's definitely nice and might make you feel cool, but there's lots of little problems that spring up.

Wouldnt atleast gear drops of the kind like Plate/leather/cloth/mail etc etc be a good addition to spice up things, with diffrent looks that then can be taken to a crafter to be imbued with diffrent abilities or turned into a piece of good gear? thinking of Diablo 2, kind of how the Runeword system worked was that you more or less had a worthless item, that just had the looks or sockets and you turned it into a good weapon or gear piece that had use.
    I mean....

Wouldnt atleast gear drops of the kind like Plate/leather/cloth/mail etc etc be a good addition to spice up things, with diffrent looks that then can be taken to a crafter to be imbued with diffrent abilities or turned into a piece of good gear? thinking of Diablo 2, kind of how the Runeword system worked was that you more or less had a worthless item, that just had the looks or sockets and you turned it into a good weapon or gear piece that had use.

That's more of a linear question. Basically, you've implied that it would spice things up for you. I can tell you that it wouldn't do that for me (it never has that effect in games I play where it happens). It also tends to really damage crafters in the long term so I don't like the effect it has, so I would never ask the designers to make any effort at all to add it.

Gear is usually relatively difficult to make, to collect materials for, because gathering is usually pretty safe. One gear drop often ends up being the equivalent of twenty minutes of gathering, or more. It's exciting for the person who gets the drop, but it lowers reliance on gatherers, can mess with crafters, and makes things much easier for bots/gold farmers.

Especially since players drop materials when killed, but not gear. You can 'get rid of' a bot and take their materials, but you can't take gear. That's a small concern compared to 'activating your thrill' though.

Anyways that's my opinion. I can understand how it makes things more interesting for others. It doesn't work on me, and I don't like the effects it has on other things.