Alpha for non-streamers

Is there any way for non-streamers to get in alpha?

Comments

• EvilteddyEvilteddy Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yes! You can buy into the Alpha for $500! But as Stephen has said. "Please Do Not Buy it!" All the funds for the game is there. And the alpha is not to 'play the game'. He actually wants feedback.
  • That's a lot of moola. I have taken part in other mmo alphas and betas and actually enjoy the feedback part. However, that is a fairly steep price point so will leave it to the pros. Enjoy the alpha those that have it.
  • FabbsFabbs Member
    Evilteddy wrote: »
    Yes! You can buy into the Alpha for $500! But as Stephen has said. "Please Do Not Buy it!" All the funds for the game is there. And the alpha is not to 'play the game'. He actually wants feedback.

So what your saying is only streamers and people with wads of cash are capable of providing feedback. Understood, thank you for the clarification. I'm still curious though, who is the "he" you speak of? Then "he " that actually wants feedback.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2021
    Fabbs wrote: »
    So what your saying is only streamers and people with wads of cash are capable of providing feedback. Understood, thank you for the clarification. I'm still curious though, who is the "he" you speak of? Then "he " that actually wants feedback.

"He" in this case would be Steven, the person that bankrolled this game. "He" put up $40,000,000 of his own money to get this whole thing started, and is the creative director of the game.

As to who can access alpha, for the most part the people that have access are people that have been in the community for a while - as alpha access wasn't in any of the supporter packs for several years until only just recently. Until very recently, people with access to alpha had been in this games community since about 2018.

People that just randomly show up to a games actual alpha (as opposed to the alpha that many publisher run that is little more than an early preview) aren't going to be able to provide as much feedback on the game as people that have been discussing details and minutiae of the game for many years.

Additionally, the idea with charging people more money to access the games earlier states is that this means only those that are more involved in the game have access to the earlier builds. This means there are less likely to be people just coming along and seeing the game in it's actual alpha state (again, as opposed to early preview state) and telling others that the game is buggy and not worth playing. If there is no need to put up a noticeable amount of money before gaining access, people do lose sight of the notion that the game is actually being tested, and start to feel as if they are just playing the game.
  • GrowlithekidGrowlithekid Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    The current Alpha 1? Cough up $500 basically. The price goes down each alpha and beta though. I spent $250 when the kickstarter was going on and I'm getting in Alpha 2. Check the shop on the main Ashes of Creation website to be able to pick a pack you want. They all cost money obviously but basically the more you spend the earlier in you get
  • Topcatrs88Topcatrs88 Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2021
    Fabbs wrote: »
    Evilteddy wrote: »

No, you can give feedback here in the forums, which they look at. You don't need to be in the test for them to listen to you. The people in the alphas are suppose to be reporting technical bugs and providing backend data to the devs so they can get the systems they have planned working and see how far they can push them along with stress testing and other things. This isn't a content test, this is data gathering and access to the alpha is a thank you for helping fund the project as they continue to develop it. If they made it available to everyone or for a cheap affordable price they would have way more issues, including people coming in thinking this will be the final product. Also the 500 isn't just access to the alpha. You get all the other things below.

Access to Alpha One test phase
    Access to future Alpha Two test phase
    Access to future Beta One test phase
    Access to future Beta Two test phase
    11 months of game time ($165 value)
    $150 in Embers (in-game marketplace credits, NO P2W!)
    Bulb Bag (Accessory Cosmetic Skin)
    Shaded Duckling (Pet Cosmetic Skin)
    Crested Sunplume (Mount Cosmetic Skin)
    Nestled Vine Vestment (Costume Cosmetic Skin)
    The Drifting Petal (Naval Cosmetic Skin)
    Hilled Hovel (Freehold Building Cosmetic Skin)
    Name Reservation
  • AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Topcatrs88 wrote: »
    Name Reservation

So, the "cosmetic" represent 115$ for this month (you can buy cosmetics only if you bought a preorder pack). 150$ of cashshop money when game is released, and 165$ of subscription.
    Total = 430

It remains a gamble, if finally the game fails, or you dislikes it, you may have 430$ of virtual things, it remains useless.
  • MerekMerek Member
    Why are the forums being bombarded by complaints about the cost of what's basically a demo for developer feedback? Just watch videos, don't waste your money. I'd also rather have people willing to invest give feedback too, they're interested enough to put the money down, therefore there's a higher chance their feedback aligns better with the original ideas of the game. Unlike bored game hoppers.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Aerlana wrote: »
    Topcatrs88 wrote: »
    Name Reservation

So, the "cosmetic" represent 115$ for this month (you can buy cosmetics only if you bought a preorder pack). 150$ of cashshop money when game is released, and 165$ of subscription.
    Total = 430

It remains a gamble, if finally the game fails, or you dislikes it, you may have 430$ of virtual things, it remains useless.

Yeah, but that is why they are supporter packs, not alpha packs.

People that look at that pack and consider it a gamble are probably not the kinds of people that should be able to log in to a game in as early a state as Ashes is - and will be for a year or two longer.
  • AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    every kickstarter for me is a gamble ;)
    i missed AoC but not CU, i also did KS on some pen&paper RPG books, and other things. AoC/CU excluded all is released now (or will be in september, all ready) but was a gamble.
    Why gamble ? because there is the risk you won't see what you invested in, and won't see your money back.
    Crowdfunding is around taking lambda guys and allow them to be investors. And i don't even know any investment that is not a gamble :p