Thoughts on 2 points from the 7/8 Allcraft Interview with Steven Sharif

Just sharing some thoughts on 2 points, from the very recent interview. It was largely stuff we already knew/could look up; Rich and Asmongold really didn't tread much into unknown waters, for some reason.

1) Is it really that big of a deal for games to have "torso sliders" for female characters? You can customize the rest of a character, why should this be left to randomization?

and 2) Hadn't known this, personally, but seems like a reasonable idea: The cosmetics that we buy for clothing will require us to have something *to apply it to*; You won't enter the game and within 1 minute have the super-cool cosmetics on your toon. Had known this about mounts, but not the clothing. As reasonable as this may sound, I just didn't find it necessary, if we're going to have separate appearance stuff, in-addition to wearable stuff.

Comments

• MerekMerek Member
    Just sharing some thoughts on 2 points, from the very recent interview. It was largely stuff we already knew/could look up; Rich and Asmongold really didn't tread much into unknown waters, for some reason.

1) Is it really that big of a deal for games to have "torso sliders" for female characters? You can customize the rest of a character, why should this be left to randomization?

and 2) Hadn't known this, personally, but seems like a reasonable idea: The cosmetics that we buy for clothing will require us to have something *to apply it to*; You won't enter the game and within 1 minute have the super-cool cosmetics on your toon. Had known this about mounts, but not the clothing. As reasonable as this may sound, I just didn't find it necessary, if we're going to have separate appearance stuff, in-addition to wearable stuff.

On the first point, not a fan of 'randomization'. If I want to create a big titty amazonian, let me. Even though I don't care for it, removing any ability to edit your character to your specific ideals is silly, shouldn't happen.

And the second point concerns me. If you've played ESO you'd know about Motifs and how they allow people to make crazy amounts of money just from the ability to create armor in a certain style. These can be purchased with real money, so, it's a degree of P2W. If adding the cosmetic to the armor doesn't make it character bound, this will be an issue. But other than that, I'm impartial.
  • AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Merek wrote: »
    If adding the cosmetic to the armor doesn't make it character bound, this will be an issue. But other than that, I'm impartial.

This is why the best is doing like many current MMORPG : a stuff page for "real" stuff, another for "cosmetic stuff" and a check box to get the character dressed with one or the other.

Applying the aesthetic to a stuff have to make it "untradable" to avoid a way to do "legal RMT". But it will have a big economic impact (because most character will transmog their stuff most of time)
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Torso sliders are a big deal for people who want their Dwarves to have bigger bellies than what is currently in Alpha.

Seems like clothing cosmetics will not have to be applied to comparable gear.
    Don't even know how that could work and make any sense.
  • Sliders have always been a meme on asmon's stream as the "only thing required" for a game to be good so that's what happened there.

As for the issue of applying cosmetics to items then selling them? They have two options, one as aerlana said is to make them untradable after a cosmetic is applied however this clashes with the item dropping if the owner is a corrupted player.
    My solution would be to just have the cosmetic work like it does in albion online or PoE. You get a window where you can apply the cosmetic to said item slot and type of item as long as you wear it. so when you put on an ordinary iron helmet it shows as a bone helmet until you decide to change the cosmetic that applies to it. So if it drops this cosmetic was never on the item in the first place, allowing the free transfer of gear without fear of selling such exclusive cosmetics for a "p2w" advantage.
    8vf24h7y7lio.jpg
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Cosmetics are already untradeable.
    I don't think cosmetics are applied to stuff in a manner that permanently turns the stuff into the cosmetic.
    I expect it to work pretty much as your "solution" entails.
  • ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Wait, what's this about randomization? That's something I first hear about. Might have missed it during All Craft? Can you explain?
  • SathragoSathrago Member
    edited July 2021
    Conrad wrote: »
    Wait, what's this about randomization? That's something I first hear about. Might have missed it during All Craft? Can you explain?

Edit: Nevermind I have no clue what hes trying to say now that I read it again.
    8vf24h7y7lio.jpg
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu