Accessibility for Sight and Hearing Impaired players.

kaegkaeg Member, Founder, Kickstarter
First off, let me say that I donated this game back on Kickstarter.com, and I can't wait to get into for Alpha 2.

That being said, I have quite a few friends who are either sight or hearing impaired. As I am watching Asmongold's stream, for the most part, as a sighted player I have no issues with the UI/HUD, except for the map and minimap (which does need some work, as even for someone who is sighted, the minimap can quickly become an issues), I can definitely see issues occuring when it comes to someone who has an impairment. Are there plans to make the UI to be more accessible to those who are sight or hearing impaired? For example, a text to speech options, or the ability to modify the UI, make it bigger or the ability to be able to move UI elements around on the screen?

Comments

• KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    For $5 every 20min, I'll read to you the quest text as you carry me through quests.

For the visually impaired of course.

Yo hablo Espanol!
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • kaeg wrote: »
    First off, let me say that I donated this game back on Kickstarter.com, and I can't wait to get into for Alpha 2.

That being said, I have quite a few friends who are either sight or hearing impaired. As I am watching Asmongold's stream, for the most part, as a sighted player I have no issues with the UI/HUD, except for the map and minimap (which does need some work, as even for someone who is sighted, the minimap can quickly become an issues), I can definitely see issues occuring when it comes to someone who has an impairment. Are there plans to make the UI to be more accessible to those who are sight or hearing impaired? For example, a text to speech options, or the ability to modify the UI, make it bigger or the ability to be able to move UI elements around on the screen?

Good question and I hope this gets picked up by the devs
  • Yeah. I have red-green color blindness and had problems with the NPC names. It would be great if you had the option to change the colors of the titles.
  • MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    kaeg wrote: »

There are! Like @MineTree, Steven is red/green colorblind so there are already plans to ensure the UI utilizes textures, shapes, and colors so it's not dominated by just one thing. Intrepid has stated that they want to UI to be very modular and customizable

Serendipitously I just put out a video addressing a wide variety of accessibility systems that I truly hope Intrepid puts in.
    ZeFuP1X.png
    If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.
  • Hopefully this is just because the state of the game is so bare bones and these issues will be addressed before launch. Sadly we can't expect their alpha to have full inclusive for people with impairments as their goal is to work on the "meat of the game" then adding more quality of life things later.
  • FlithFlith Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    At the very least UI scaling is needed.
    It's way too small for modern resolution screens and older eyeballs.
  • MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Flith wrote: »
    At the very least UI scaling is needed.
    It's way too small for modern resolution screens and older eyeballs.

I would expect something like this for around the middle of A2
    ZeFuP1X.png
    If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.