The Issues (and Successes) of Sprinting

JeepJeepJeepJeep Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
First of all I want say I am not against having a sprint in the game whatsoever and I also understand nothing in Alpha One is concrete and everything shouldn't be taken as the final product. However, I think it is important we discuss here what is currently bugging us about the Sprinting function. I don't want this get into the obvious sprint animation that everyone is rattled by, because obviously they will add feature to change it in settings. This is more or less a discussion of how the overall game and feel of Ashes is effected by having the ability to sprint.

My biggest problem with the sprint function is that it shuts off when entering combat. For one, this makes absolutely no sense that someone would stop sprinting when escaping or entering combat. Two, this feels HORRIBLE when playing. From the hours I have put into playing so far there have probably been over 100 times my sprint was canceled by Aggroing a mob.

I think there is a good reasoning behind not being able to sprint in combat.
1) It negates a charge move
2) You would rarely die and sprint away from mobs easily
3) There is a higher likelihood of mob pathing to mess-up

I think there is a balance achievable to keep both the integrity of combat and realism (and annoyance levels down). The best way in my opinion to fix this would be to add a decaying energy bar when in combat (if not full time out of combat as well). This would allow you to keep the ability to run while Aggroing mobs and it not feeling horrible. It could also share this energy with the roll ability giving us another layer of depth to combat and allowing us to know when we can and can't roll/sprint. Certain classes could build around having this higher stamina to preform more evasive maneuvers, but when reaching this point we have to ask how possible is all that in a MMO.

Those are just my opinions on sprinting. I would love to hear what you guys think about my ideas and other issues, or appraisals, you have of the sprint ability.

Comments

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Sprint should deactivate when you attack an entity, not when an entity attacks you.

Sprint should not be used to try to escape an opponent you have willingly engaged.
  • ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    i honestly think they should just remove it and maybe give it to a certain class as a skill,

i think mounts are enough
  • AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Shuiyn wrote: »
    i honestly think they should just remove it and maybe give it to a certain class as a skill,

i think mounts are enough

the running speed to go from mob to mob in an area we farm is really good.
    So yes, sprint not really usefull when you have the horse
  • imo infinite sprint is bad, the option of sprinting in combat is bad too

i dont like stamina bars, so my preferred option is a skill, wich increases ur MS a significant amount but only for a short duration of time, and has a cd, if u enter combat u lose the MS and cant use the ability

i think sprint should be a quality of life skill, mostly used for short distances
    (long distance is mount, combat mobility should be in the kit of the archetypes)
  • SamsonSamson Member
    I like the sprinting feature. Just hope they remove the white anime glow when you're sprinting. :)
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • wobblywobbly Member
    yeah as far as i have seen it feels likes sprinting serves little purpose if its infinite and mounts exist in the game. especially if it makes certain interactions with combat feel clunky it might be better to just get rid of it.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2021
    Sprinting being infinite would be new.
    Hasn't been working like that in previous builds.
    We'll have to see if it's placeholder until we have a better economy and easier access to mounts.

Yep. Infinite sprint is new.