Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Players not Looting Mobs

Just a heads up, I understand this is a developmental alpha. :)

After watching various AoC alpha streams yesterday and this morning I have noticed that many players are not looting mobs that they kill. I think this is mostly due to the fact that the dead mobs have no indication that they are lootable (not glowing, sparkles, etc.). I understand that the more "hardcore" players have asked Ashes to be less "noob friendly" but I think many would agree that maybe a slight glow/sparkle to the dead mobs when they have loot on their corpses would be beneficial to all players.
sig-Samson-Final.gif

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    probably because the looting last time i checked took almost as long as killing a mob.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There's been a number of times where I went to loot a mob yet it disappeared before I could even do so. Got to the point where I kinda stopped trying
    ZeFuP1X.png
    If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2021
    Yeah, recently the loot disappears before we can manually pick it up. Almost feels like auto-loot.
    Some individual mobs don't have loot.
    And... the loot is so barebones and un-interesting, there's not much of a reason to waste time picking it up.
    Often, it's easier to wait for Level/Gold boosts for Siege.

We can see the E icon appear when their is loot. It's not because people don't know the mob was supposed to have loot. Sparkles wouldn't help. They just need to fix the bug.
    (Sparkles might be better, aesthetically, compared to the E in any case.)
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Though looting mobs is much faster than it was a couple of weeks ago.

I always loot, which helped me quickly purchase higher end gathering tools, which quickly increased my income.
  • Options
    Seemed to be auto-looting frequently for me.
    I had chat open. Pretty sure I got loot notification even when I didn't press E.
    Didn't have to wait for the circle animation nor the stoop animation.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    I had chat open. Pretty sure I got loot notification even when I didn't press E.

There is auto looting?That is awesome.I love that feature.
  • Options
    An auto-loot system would be way more Quality of Life friendly. I'd rather kill and go, not looking around for loot. That could be a choice in Options? Auto loot and manual?
  • Options
    Auto loot could be nice. I dont see the problem with a sparkle of sorts to identify a lootable corpse IF it is indeed lootable. Be good to distinguish from other non lootable corpses. Looting doesnt have to be hardcore it is just QoL
  • Options
    tautau wrote: »
    Though looting mobs is much faster than it was a couple of weeks ago.

I always loot, which helped me quickly purchase higher end gathering tools, which quickly increased my income.

There used to be a cast time w/ looting which was removed that's why it was faster
    ZeFuP1X.png
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »

If you were in a group then that could have been what it was.
    ZeFuP1X.png
  • Options
    Save the sparkles for other games.

Area Auto Loot is nice. I just hope it's not in the form of some cash shop pet that does it for you. I hate stuff following me around when I play.
  • Options
    Ebro EpaitoEbro Epaito Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I didn't notice auto-looting. I had to hit "E" every time, a lot of mobs just don't drop anything..
  • Options
    I used to think I was in favour of area auto loot but then someone made a good argument that explained my actual feelings towards loot. Assuming that mobs have big and interesting loot tables, its like a minigame/reward looting a corpse, actually interacting with it and seeing a window pop up with potential goodies is a very tactile way of rewarding the most common gameplay loop of killing stuff.

My point of reference and where Ive formed my personal biases would be warhammer online and world of warcraft.
  • Options
    I don't really like auto-loot. Fills up my inventory with rubbish I'd have just left on the ground, and then I end up having to play "The Inventory Game" once it's full.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    It was auto-loot when in a group.
    We do have to hit E, but it's instant now rather than having to hold E and then right click on the loot.
    Before Friday, looting was a bit more cumbersome and not necessarily worth the "effort".

So... people not looting often could be because they weren't aware of the change yet.
    Also could be that they were looting but it was so quick, it seemd like they weren't looting.
    Also, could be that they were in a group.

Sparkles aren't really necessary because the E appearing is quite noticeable.
    If people aren't looting, it's not because they aren't aware loot is available.
  • Options
    Goatrek wrote: »
    I used to think I was in favour of area auto loot but then someone made a good argument that explained my actual feelings towards loot. Assuming that mobs have big and interesting loot tables, its like a minigame/reward looting a corpse, actually interacting with it and seeing a window pop up with potential goodies is a very tactile way of rewarding the most common gameplay loop of killing stuff.

My point of reference and where Ive formed my personal biases would be warhammer online and world of warcraft.
    Well, In Ashes, we're looting resources; not gear.
  • Options
    Instead of sparkles, how about loot bags?
    If anyone played DAoC, they will of course know what I am talking about.