Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Suggestion: Make some quests retroactive when appropriate

2»

Comments

• Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    edited July 2021
    Noaani wrote: »
    The notion of the story behind kill quests in most games is one of two things - either there is a mass of the mob type in question (in which case the quest is usually repeatable), or the NPC is after a specific part of the mob in question (in which case the quest is usually a part of a quest chain).

For the first of these, your idea instantly makes the notion of a repeating quest to kill a type of mob impossible. As soon as you kill the requisite number of the mob, you can just get the quest and complete it instantly as much as you like. So, this automatic completion simply can't work on these quests.

Well, that could be easily solved by having turning in the quest subtracts from your kill count, or resets it to 0 or some other possible solution.
    That is a good point though. It could be solved through making sure quests are structured around such things too.
    Noaani wrote: »
    For the second of these two - the NPC being after a specific part of the target mob - it makes absolutely no sense that we would have known someone wanted the spleen (as an example) of a specific mob, so there is no way we would have collected it. Getting the specific part of the specific mob is driving the story forward.

This I actually addressed in my reply to Dygz near the beginning of the thread when he brought up the item-based retroactive quests. I also think having items flagged as quest items drop is anti-immersive, which is why I didn't originally put forth the idea.

The rest of your post I do agree with, though I will clarify that the retroactive system isn't to support mob farming as a core levelling function. It's entirely a secondary function of the normal questing system we are all used to. In fact, I'd say you'd still not really be incentivized to farm mobs with retroactivity, because you wouldn't know what quests will be retroactive, and what mobs might even be relevant to a quest. You could kil 10 wolves, come back to town, and like my example from earlier in the thread the quest giver is starting a sacrifice ritual and wants you to go kill new wolves since the ritual hadn't been started until you talked to him.

Until you get wowhead for AoC that is I guess and it tells you what mobs are retroactive, but even in that scenario it's not really any different than normal questing, and following guides is far removed from normal gameplay and nobody should design around external sources anyways.
    Aerlana wrote: »
    Why having more retroactiv quest could be bad?
    if it is 10% right, it is not a lot
    25% ? it begins to feel, but have to play
    50%? 75% 90% with only some special bind to lore/main story?
    Where is the good limit. some people would say 90% other 10%
    But when we reach too many retroactiv quest, questing becomes just "speak NPC to get reward"

Just to be sure, you know that the retroactive quests I suggested are just normal quests that take into account relevant history. If you haven't killed any wolves, the retroactive quest would be the normal "Go kill 10 wolves" quest you've seen in most every other MMO. But if you had 5 wolf kills it would show 5/10 killed.

That aside, I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say here, it's a little hard to understand. But if that doesn't answer it then could you explain it again?

As for the rest of your post, you're right, it is a minor quality of life addition to questing. I never said it was a gamechanger or anything, though some people in this thread are acting like it is and that it somehow ruins questing.

It's literally just a minor thing to make the game more enjoyable to more kinds of players. It's not the hardest thing to develop either. As someone who's created similar systems in a game, any game with good analytics running in the background already tracks your kills. When creating a quest, the writer would just have to set "retroactive" to true on whatever enemy could be retroactive. If it's retroactivity is time-sensitive, that kind of check is very simple code-wise and doesn't take up enough resources to affect anything.

In the end, it is just a suggestion. All this debating is just for clarification and explanation. Whether it is implemented or not is fine by me.