PC Recomendation?

edited July 2021 in General Discussion
I'm a console player, but considering buying a PC in the near future to try Alpha/Beta of AoC, but also to play some GW2 until AoC release. Does anyone have any recommendations on good PC laptops or PC towers (with graphics on Ultra/High)? But also something that will be good in 2 years or so once this game releases? Something in the $2k+ range?

Thank you! :smiley:
m6jque7ofxxf.gif

Comments

• A name I hear a lot is IBuyPower, maybe the best option out there? I recommend these specs:

Nvidia 1070 minimum for graphics card (video cards 2070 or higher are hard to find)
    AMD Ryzen 5000 series CPU
    16 GB RAM
    1 TB HDD (maybe a 500 GB SSD for your OS) hard drive
    Also make sure it has wifi capabilities or an Ethernet Port if you plug your PC into your router.

sorry if the terms are too technical, but I tried my hardest to make it easy to read lol.

You can also watch some youtube videos, try to get a recommendation from there. I like JayzTwoCents and GamerNexus.

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    My first suggestion is to not buy anything. Yet.

Key system components are starting to come down in price, and if you buy a computer now, you may find yourself spending $500 or more than if you waited a month or two and bought the same components.

I also suggest going for a desktop over a laptop unless you specifically *need* portability. The fact that you are debating between the two says you don't need portability, however. The reason for this is twofold - you pay less for better performance with a desktop, and you are also able to upgrade individual components as opposed to needing to replace the whole thing as you do with a laptop.

The last suggestion I have is if you go for a desktop, build it yourself. While this may seem daunting/challenging /scary to people that have never seen it done, it really is actually quite easy - it has been referred to as adult lego by a number of people, in relation to how easy it actually is. Also, if you build a computer yourself, you have a better understanding of how to upgrade it in the future, and it will also save you several hundred dollars, as an added bonus.

The two YouTube channels mentioned in the post above are fairly good for getting information on components, though I wouldn't recommend either for a guild on how to build a computer (not sure GN even has one of these, and Jay tends to do a lot with water cooling - which I really don't suggest for a first build). If you do decide to go this route, I suggest searching LinusTechTips channel for build guides.

The downside to building it yourself is that it will take several hours of research.
  • JistJist Member
    Prices are way too high right now in most cases, but yes coming down. I know alot of people have mixed feelings about it, but if you decide to build your own at least research Hardware compatibilities before you buy anything at all, you can use something like PCPartpicker::dot:: com to help see what components play nice with others. Although some would argue its not always spot on, it will definately be of great use for reference at the least. Furthurmore you can comment in thier forums and people can guide you in the right direction, rather building your own or not . Its easy to build a pc even though it looks daunting at first.
  • GrihmGrihm Member
    I'm a console player, but considering buying a PC in the near future to try Alpha/Beta of AoC, but also to play some GW2 until AoC release. Does anyone have any recommendations on good PC laptops or PC towers (with graphics on Ultra/High)? But also something that will be good in 2 years or so once this game releases? Something in the $2k+ range?

Thank you! :smiley:

Right now, due to mining being smacked down upon in Asia, tons of GPU´s end up even with lower prices than MSRP, however mostly sold in bulk of 100 etc. Even if you find a single card of these, do not buy it.

So many will flock and get the first one they see, only to end up with a card that could have been in a mining farm at 100% capacity for a full year. Just wait a little while longer and get a new card instead.