Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The Others Religion (minor lore spoilers)

FrogFrog Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
This post is about players choosing "The Others Evil Religion"

So, as anyone knows there are 7 "good/neutral gods" and 3 "Evil Gods" and Steven stated that religion will be a big part of the game. So there will be guilds mainly focusing on religion like the one I'm in. We are a evil bunch and want to worship the others and gain auguments from them. So what ever that may be, giving us siege defense bonuses but its evil themed like summoning a corrupted small boss or something since The Others made corruption.

It is already confirmed that we can go down a good or evil path in religion, the question is does that mean we can go down a evil path for the good gods? Or does that mean we can go down a evil path and choose a evil god from the others. I think that it would add so much to the religion system if players could choose to worship the others because then we could have for an example 2 divine nodes budding heads because one divine nodes temples are majority in the others and the 2nd divine node has majority in the 7 gods.

What would this mean if we could worship the others in gameplay? Well a question you might have is, well how do you go killing corrupted beings if the others made corruption? Well we could say we are killing them to test the others servants for them. And another thing could be we get evil auguments that are very different from the 7 gods auguments. For an example a augument from the 7 gods in a siege might be a giant AOE heal over time. While the others augument in a siege is summoning a small corrupted boss to fight the attackers. Or effecting your spells to look corrupted in general.

I'm explaining it a bit badly but I believe most of us would like this even if they don't pick religion because it would add so much to the game, not to mention the roleplay. And the story from the perspective of The Others Followers. The Others Followers could be killed on sight from 7 gods guilds because they are heathens, etc.

Comments

• Options
    TruthfoolTruthfool Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    hi There,
    I'm also in a guild that wants to RP followers of the evil gods for good reasons :)
    I totally agree with the propositions you are talking about.
    I would add that It could be very fun to have a specific building/place to make for divine nodes like a secret shrine or cult within the city.
    I also remember something about mechanics that would allow player to play for a time monsters in some events/towns/nodes. Augments could be making it easier to become/Produce/find the tokens for monsters?
    The followers will still have a desire to defend their node, possessions; be it to prove the gods how worthy they are or just because they protect what they build and love (loyal evil).

best
    T.
    Eldritch Harbingers
    We follow the truth of the True gods, wherever she leads us
  • Options
    FrogFrog Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Truthfool wrote: »
    hi There,
    I'm also in a guild that wants to RP followers of the evil gods for good reasons :)
    I totally agree with the propositions you are talking about.
    I would add that It could be very fun to have a specific building/place to make for divine nodes like a secret shrine or cult within the city.
    I also remember something about mechanics that would allow player to play for a time monsters in some events/towns/nodes. Augments could be making it easier to become/Produce/find the tokens for monsters?
    The followers will still have a desire to defend their node, possessions; be it to prove the gods how worthy they are or just because they protect what they build and love (loyal evil).

best
    T.

good Idea!
  • Options
    Evil and Good are just a matter of a perspective.
    What if we look at the situation from the other side?
    Being banished to the Void...doomed to insane suffering and to starve only because you did what you think was right?
    I wonder if the game could offer us a choice...to see the story from both points of view. Who will be "evil" in the end? The victims or the executioner?
    Every coin has two sides.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Being part of an 'evil religion' is kind of an odd statement. If I define 'good' and 'evil' based on what my 'god' tells me, then whatever my god tells me is good is good. Therefore an 'evil' religion is only seen as evil using another religion's definition of good and evil.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Typically, RPG settings have objective definitions of the behaviors that fall under Good or Evil.
    The labels are fairly inconsequential - a rose by any other name is still a rose.

I had thought that Ashes was not going to have Good v Evil since there are no factions.
    But, it seems as though there basically is and... I'm concerned some cultural concepts, like Necromancy, will be deemed objectively evil/dark/twisted.
    I could easily see the Niküa worshiping bones and skeletons and Raising skeletons as part of their ancestor worship. My hope would be that Necromancy is not considered to be tainted by Corruption.

But, yes, it should be possible to worship the gods of Corruption.
    And then the game will be as I originally expected: Non-Corrupt v Corrupted; rather than Good v Evil.