Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Lone Wolfing It

2»

Comments

• Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Good for you :)
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There will be bonuses to joining a guild. What these actual benefits are we don't know yet.
    Most gear will be crafted and bosses will drop materials so in theory you should be able to buy either the materials or the completed items for almost all gear.

Reading through you initial post brings way more questions. Like why stay if the guild is not going to help each other out? I would have quit that guild waaaaaaayyy sooner. Any guild screwing over their members like you described is not a guild I would want anything to do with and the first time some other guild asked me by personal invite to join them I would have left and joined the people asking me to come play.
    I left a guild an RL friend is in for silly shit the guild leader does. Get better friends and don't be afraid to move on.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Guilds
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I love MMO's, especially in PvP. But i mainly solo or play in very small groups. That's what i enjoy. I will join a guild, but won't be actively playing with dozens of people in it. I don't like people like that lol.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    DudebruhDudebruh Member
    edited July 2021
    There will be bonuses to joining a guild. What these actual benefits are we don't know yet.
    Most gear will be crafted and bosses will drop materials so in theory you should be able to buy either the materials or the completed items for almost all gear.

Reading through you initial post brings way more questions. Like why stay if the guild is not going to help each other out? I would have quit that guild waaaaaaayyy sooner. Any guild screwing over their members like you described is not a guild I would want anything to do with and the first time some other guild asked me by personal invite to join them I would have left and joined the people asking me to come play.
    I left a guild an RL friend is in for silly shit the guild leader does. Get better friends and don't be afraid to move on.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Guilds

Complacency.

Because once in a blue moon, one of us plebs spamming for help in guild chat might need help with a quest I'm also trying to get help with (...But then we can never find a tank and healer so it never happens anyways lol).

I don't know man. The smaller, good guilds don't really invite strangers. Especially in games like EVE Online. And for reasons that @FuryBladeborne mentioned, they don't want some new guy coming along, looting, then leaving the guild. All understandable.

I'm not expecting to be showered with loot and credits when I join a guild. I'm expecting to not sit on my ass waiting for some officer to make us do what he wants to do, to progress his character.

And though I do often times have friends in good guilds ask me to fill a spot once in awhile (as a guest), their guilds are pretty hardcore about schedules and whatnot. I've been asked to leave my guild for theirs, but I wouldn't be able to meet their commitments.

But yeah, I'm left asking that question all the time. Why am I in a guild?

Guilds have changed over the decades. Some are ran like a business now. I came back to one game and got some random invite (I know, those are the bad ones). They were making people follow their Twitch channel as a requirement for staying in their guild. I quit that guild later that day, but still, goes to show you that some are only in it for themselves and using others.

I can think they suck and are abusive, but I do realize by staying in these McGuilds, I'm to blame.
  • Options
    The problem with this sort of leadership is that guild leaders often start to believe their own hype. They start to think that they're entitled. In one of my guilds in ESO, I was "reprimanded" for sticking up for a fellow guildie who was being bullied. Didn't stop me, obviously, but they tried it. You've just got to look around for the right ones. Get to know the leaders when you join, and if they're not right for you, then leave to find better ones.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2021
    @Dudebruh
    If creating a guild still only costs 500g at launch, I expect most people will join in-game guilds before hitting Level 10...just so they can participate in Sieges and get some of the in-game guild perks.
    But, I also expect there will be a lot of those guilds will be run casually rather than being hyper focused on everyone playing with uber efficiency.
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    The problem with this sort of leadership is that guild leaders often start to believe their own hype. They start to think that they're entitled. In one of my guilds in ESO, I was "reprimanded" for sticking up for a fellow guildie who was being bullied. Didn't stop me, obviously, but they tried it. You've just got to look around for the right ones. Get to know the leaders when you join, and if they're not right for you, then leave to find better ones.

Yeah, I had that happen before.

I was "scolded" the other day for looking out for a follow guildmate.

Yet again, some Officer was claiming all of the loot for his 9th alt. I said in guild chat, "Hey, why don't you let Peon #37 have some gear for once so that we can have another healer when you Officers are not around?"

He pulled me into a private chat and got on me about leadership, loyalty, and being a team player. LOL

Me, a 44yr old former Marine, small business owner, and can retire at 50 is being reprimanded by some kid with a retail wagie job flexing his "authority" over me.

I think they just need validation or something. I really do. That's how miserable their lives are.
  • Options
    My personal advice as someone who was a former lone wolf, make your own connections and play off of that. Realize and accept that content will be limited, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy your experience. Try out new things you can do on your own that you never did because you were part of a guild such as gathering/crafting/refining. Make friends, invite them to parties etc. Its tough to find likeminded people, but there's other lone wolves out there, trust me.

Oh and, there's going to be a profession named ''Bounty hunter'', you can make a living off the heads of corrupted players by tracking them down. The concept is really cool, maybe you'll like it.
  • Options
    TyranthraxusTyranthraxus Member
    edited July 2021
    Dudebruh wrote: »
    daveywavey wrote: »

Yeah, I had that happen before.

I was "scolded" the other day for looking out for a follow guildmate.

Yet again, some Officer was claiming all of the loot for his 9th alt. I said in guild chat, "Hey, why don't you let Peon #37 have some gear for once so that we can have another healer when you Officers are not around?"

He pulled me into a private chat and got on me about leadership, loyalty, and being a team player. LOL

Me, a 44yr old former Marine, small business owner, and can retire at 50 is being reprimanded by some kid with a retail wagie job flexing his "authority" over me.

I think they just need validation or something. I really do. That's how miserable their lives are.

I'm in the pool of others in this thread who are dumb-founded that you are in/stay in such guilds.

Why not find better?

By now, it's certainly no mystery as to why you would have an aversion to guilds.

• Options
    TyranthraxusTyranthraxus Member
    edited July 2021
    a
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I've been in a number of guilds across various games, and I can't recall ever being in a guild as abusive as the one described in the OP. I'm sorry if you had that experience but that is a nightmare and it would be rare. It's like your first roommate is a serial killer, and you don't ever want to have another roommate again and want to live alone because you don't want to go through that experience again. The chances are infinitesimally low that it would happen again. That's a special kind of awful.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    I've been in a number of guilds across various games, and I can't recall ever being in a guild as abusive as the one described in the OP. I'm sorry if you had that experience but that is a nightmare and it would be rare. It's like your first roommate is a serial killer, and you don't ever want to have another roommate again and want to live alone because you don't want to go through that experience again. The chances are infinitesimally low that it would happen again. That's a special kind of awful.

+10 points for use of the word " infinitesimally".
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/