Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What do you like the most / what do you hate the most of AoC?

As a "new" adventurer here, I'm trying to catch up all the information in the forum and in youtubers' channels. I'm not playing the alpha yet, so I don't have any personal opinion based on any gameplay by my own.

As some of you do, and some would have more info about the world than me, I would like to know what's what you are liking the most and what do you hate the most / are missing on the game,

Comments

• Options
    DudebruhDudebruh Member
    edited July 2021
    In strictly my opinion?

I think anyone that answers that before Beta, is foolish. I like the direction the game is going in. But, I also know that sometimes ideas don't work due to technical limitations, etc etc and may not make it into the game. Or "This looked good on paper, but in practice, it kind of sucks, let's take it out." happens a lot in projects in all industries.

I'm going to reserve judgement until Beta. There's rarely major over-hauls of game loops and mechanics by that point. What you see is what you're getting, more or less. (Yes, there have been a few, rare exceptions over the past decades.)
  • Options
    Dudebruh wrote: »
    In strictly my opinion?

I think anyone that answers that before Beta, is foolish. I like the direction the game is going in. But, I also know that sometimes ideas don't work due to technical limitations, etc etc and may not make it into the game. Or "This looked good on paper, but in practice, it kind of sucks, let's take it out." happens a lot in projects in all industries.

I'm going to reserve judgement until Beta. There's rarely major over-hauls of game loops and mechanics by that point. What you see is what you're getting, more or less. (Yes, there have been a few, rare exceptions over the past decades.)

I can't agree more with you, you can't answer this 100% in terms of micro topics you like, but as you said, you can like the direction the game is going in, more macro decisions / ways they are taking.

Is there any big/macro decision, like I saw a discussions with, for example, to have or not to have alts in AoC, you don't actually like?
  • Options
    CondeZero wrote: »

Is there any big/macro decision, like I saw a discussions with, for example, to have or not to have alts in AoC, you don't actually like?

My first question would be, what did the Devs say about this? It's all that matters. Either way is not a deal breaker.

I'd prefer to have an alt on the same server with my main and not spread out across different servers. I don't think anyone is forcing me to have alts, not sure why some rando is bothered by it.

I plan to have 3 characters btw. I'm too old to be an altoholic anymore. 24 possible specs is enough for me.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2021
    I love the risk/reward tradeoff that is salted throughout the game. Decisions have consequences, you mess up your attack then you die and drop stuff you gathered, and so forth.

What I like least? Well, some of the players. The ones who want everything easy and whine when their own poor playstyle gets them killed. Or the ones who can't figure out a quest and quickly complain that it is "bugged." I heard a lot of that over the test weekend, including on quests that I already completed. I help those who ask for help, but the ones who whine are on their own.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Love: The transparency and commitment to a specific design philosophy. It allows people to discuss things within a framework and understand the direction of things with much less of a fear of the equivalent of a cryptocurrency rug-pull (though a lot of dissenters are really hoping for that rug-pull to make the game suit them better)

Hate: Kaelar Architecture. This isn't to say it's badly done. In fact, it's really well done. Too well done. As an arrogant and proud Empyrean Elf, I feel like it's literally designed to make me dislike it, and in that, it does a spectacular job. I hate it utterly.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Things I like the most: Risk vs Reward being a core focus of the game. A competitive and persistent open world environment. The fact that more than 75% of the game in modernized Lineage 2 systems.

Things I hate the most: Family Summon System, Some awful looking races (Dwarfs), Too many quests in the game already for my taste.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    What am I missing? I'd love to know more of the lore surrounding the pantheon of gods, even if it's just their names and avatars.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    Family summoning system is a big dislike for me. As is the spammy nature of auto-attack, the attack animation itself causes a loss of control in melee anyway (albeit short) And to add to these things, the fact that people seem unable to understand the difference between feedback and critique by hiding behind "it's only Alpha" Yes, and this is where you test system and give feedback so they know the direction to go in for future iterations.

The things I love are the open world, the dungeons in said open world. The fact that many areas seems to favour teaming up. The lack of invisible walls and the ability to explore mountains and the like. I love the feel of the blink spell. I'm a huge fan of utility spells like that.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2021
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Pantheon
    Norlan - Goddess of Fate
    Resna - God of Hope
    Shol - God of Truth

Likely some of the other servers are also named after gods.
  • Options
    DecidendiDecidendi Member
    edited July 2021
    Since we are in the very early stages, I can only say what I like/dislike purely by looking at the ideas and proposals for the game that have been provided to us by the development team.

Also, we all bring ideas we want to see from our past favourite MMOs and let's be real, they will often be very different and will often clash.

1) I love open world. I've been playing hardcore L2 for years and so this comes to no surprise. I never got into games like WoW purely because of lack of open world pvp/pk and lack of risk v reward when it comes to it.

2) I hope I am right, but from what I've seen thus far, there will be quite a bit of grinding involved. I love slower progression in MMOs when it comes to levelling and obtaining gear, because I truly believe that in an MMO, the best experiences are achieved by progressing through the world slowly and feeling that you've achieved something by putting time and effort into the game. Perhaps you kill a monster and it drops a really good piece of armour, or you kill some rare mob and it drops a really good weapon that can only be otherwise crafted. Those experiences for me are the best.

3) I love the majority of the proposed systems: i.e. Nodes, crafting, artisan systems, castle sieges etc. If they work as intended, I think the game will cater to every type of MMO player there is. I am especially hopeful that the node system will provide players with a unique experience in developing the world and changing it purely based on what said players wish to change and where they wish to do that on the map by working together.

Things I'm 50/50 on:

1) The combat system, but purely because I am a clicker due to playing L2 for so long, so it will take a while for me to get used to.

2) Mounts. I think they should be extremely difficult to obtain. And from what I've read, only flying mounts will be difficult to get, which will most likely mean that everyone will be riding some type of mount quite early in the game and personally, I was never a fan of it. (Again, very subjective).

3) Skill trees: I'd like to see people needing to work a bit harder to learn new skills. Perhaps hunting certain mob and obtaining a spell-book or something similar to learn said skill, instead of it being purely based on skill points. But again, I'm biased here and basing it purely on past experiences. Also, I quite enjoy grinding :>

Apart from that, I cannot really say what I dislike a lot, because from what we know, most in-game mechanics are still being worked on. For example, I do not like how you can spam your wand and destroy the mobs without bothering about mana and/or using any skills. But again, this is something that they'll probably work on when balancing the game. I do not know how crafting/enchanting or any other systems will work, so I can't really comment on that.

• Options
    I Really enjoy the PVP and class system and the fact that things will be balanced around group PVP.
    I also really like that there will be no add-ons like damage meter and that there wont be a LFG/LFR.
    And the world itself is just.. *chef's kiss*

I wouldn't say 'hate' but based on the footage i've seen since i haven't been able to play the alpha myself, i dislike some of the basic animations such as sprinting but i believe that's already being polished and all that. Besides that, some UI elements aren't my preferred style such as damage numbers but i believe those are also just placeholder xD Don't have much more negative stuff to say.
  • Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Zyggi wrote: »

1) The combat system, but purely because I am a clicker due to playing L2 for so long, so it will take a while for me to get used to.

2) Mounts. I think they should be extremely difficult to obtain. And from what I've read, only flying mounts will be difficult to get, which will most likely mean that everyone will be riding some type of mount quite early in the game and personally, I was never a fan of it. (Again, very subjective).

For the point 3 i mostly disagree but really personnal, and don't think that arguing this will be interesting.

1) I did the opening of the servers by clicking skill, just the basic attack was not mouseclick (or it was because it is pushing the mouse left button)
    but yes after i did the rebind for my comfort to use shortcut and better
    I recomment you to just force yourself to go with shortcut from the first second on the game. you will have to change a little some to be more comfortable, but if you force yourself from the begining it will become fast enough really natural ;)

2) Flying mount wont be "hard" to obtain it will be very specific (mayor of T6 node or "king" of a castle...) and temporary (if you are no more mayor of T6 node, because node deleveled, or you lost the mayor title, no more flying mount)
    And also, some rare loot for temporary mount (timer)

On the other side for ground mount, what will be quite "easy" to get will be the "basic" mounts.
    BUT with husbandry, you can obtain mount with different stats to quote the wiki
    Animal husbandry and taming create unique mounts with unique abilities and stats.[12][68]
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Mounts#Animal_husbandry

So while basic mount will be easy to get, getting some stronger and specific stats/skills will be harder, and will be one of the profession any character can take.

• Options
    CondeZeroCondeZero Member
    edited July 2021
    Since we are in the very early stages, I can only say what I like/dislike purely by looking at the ideas and proposals for the game that have been provided to us by the development team.

Also, we all bring ideas we want to see from our past favourite MMOs and let's be real, they will often be very different and will often clash.

1) I love open world. I've been playing hardcore L2 for years and so this comes to no surprise. I never got into games like WoW purely because of lack of open world pvp/pk and lack of risk v reward when it comes to it.

2) I hope I am right, but from what I've seen thus far, there will be quite a bit of grinding involved. I love slower progression in MMOs when it comes to levelling and obtaining gear, because I truly believe that in an MMO, the best experiences are achieved by progressing through the world slowly and feeling that you've achieved something by putting time and effort into the game. Perhaps you kill a monster and it drops a really good piece of armour, or you kill some rare mob and it drops a really good weapon that can only be otherwise crafted. Those experiences for me are the best.

3) I love the majority of the proposed systems: i.e. Nodes, crafting, artisan systems, castle sieges etc. If they work as intended, I think the game will cater to every type of MMO player there is. I am especially hopeful that the node system will provide players with a unique experience in developing the world and changing it purely based on what said players wish to change and where they wish to do that on the map by working together.

Things I'm 50/50 on:

3) Skill trees: I'd like to see people needing to work a bit harder to learn new skills. Perhaps hunting certain mob and obtaining a spell-book or something similar to learn said skill, instead of it being purely based on skill points. But again, I'm biased here and basing it purely on past experiences. Also, I quite enjoy grinding :>

Apart from that, I cannot really say what I dislike a lot, because from what we know, most in-game mechanics are still being worked on. For example, I do not like how you can spam your wand and destroy the mobs without bothering about mana and/or using any skills. But again, this is something that they'll probably work on when balancing the game. I do not know how crafting/enchanting or any other systems will work, so I can't really comment on that.

That's exactly what I wanted to read from this post, so thank you so much for sharing your opinion, and of course, enjoy the grind as much as we can when the game is live! ;)

P.S I personally agree with almost all your points mate, fingers crossed with the following years!
  • Options
    Jxshuwu wrote: »
    I Really enjoy the PVP and class system and the fact that things will be balanced around group PVP.
    I also really like that there will be no add-ons like damage meter and that there wont be a LFG/LFR.

I wouldn't say 'hate' but based on the footage i've seen since i haven't been able to play the alpha myself, i dislike some of the basic animations such as sprinting but i believe that's already being polished and all that. Besides that, some UI elements aren't my preferred style such as damage numbers but i believe those are also just placeholder xD Don't have much more negative stuff to say.

I would add here that, if it's not possible to modify your UI (move your HP bar, etc), which I'm not sure if it is or if it isn't, I wouldn't like it. Maybe it's something personal, but I would like to have the option of modify it, at least to put some UI elements where I want to!

Thx for sharing mate
  • Options
    Jxshuwu wrote: »

I would add here that, if it's not possible to modify your UI (move your HP bar, etc), which I'm not sure if it is or if it isn't, I wouldn't like it. Maybe it's something personal, but I would like to have the option of modify it, at least to put some UI elements where I want to!

Thx for sharing mate

I agree to that! Some UI scaling and being able to move it around a bit should definitely be possible since it has no effect to the performance and gameplay of others.
  • Options
    RamirezRamirez Member
    edited July 2021
    Aerlana wrote: »

On the other side for ground mount, what will be quite "easy" to get will be the "basic" mounts.
    BUT with husbandry, you can obtain mount with different stats to quote the wiki

So while basic mount will be easy to get, getting some stronger and specific stats/skills will be harder, and will be one of the profession any character can take.
    If you have husbandry and unlimited source of mounts, shouldn´t exist an way to lose mounts? If not everyone will be riding in the OP mounts and make them less valuable , is like playing albion and everyone is riding a mammoth(one of the must valuable and OP mount)...

• Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Things I like the most: Risk vs Reward being a core focus of the game. A competitive and persistent open world environment. The fact that more than 75% of the game in modernized Lineage 2 systems.

Things I hate the most: Family Summon System, Some awful looking races (Dwarfs), Too many quests in the game already for my taste.

The questing system right now feels bad and I really hope something changes. It's going to end up being thousands of random quests that send you all over the map for boring content. Go fetch 11 pages that got scattered. Dust off these vases. Get me plant samples all over the place. No thanks.

I also very much dislike the melee combat in this game. I am playing a tank to main tank for my guild so that my players always have someone they can count on for raids/pvp. If players will always be forced to either stand still or move forward during combat, I will actually hate playing a tank. Forcing my position and not allowing me to move around is just not fun.

The characters look bad right now. Dwarves look poorly designed and their ability to flip every jump is.....I don't even know what to say here other than it's just a dumb idea to implement.

I try to be positive in 99% of my posts and bring as many people into AoC as possible....but sometimes I need to blow off a little steam. This combat system has be rethinking how much time I will actually put into AoC. If they continue down the path of forcing melee to move forward or not being able to use abilities while "auto attacking" I honestly may not even play.

Ranting aside, literally every single other thing about AoC is lightyears ahead of the competition. From the mount system, to nodes, to the way the game looks visually.....it's all amazing.
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The community and the community.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    ariatras wrote: »
    Family summoning system is a big dislike for me.

4862e5aeec981ed07d4660df34e6d3a2.jpg
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Khronus wrote: »
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

The questing system right now feels bad and I really hope something changes. It's going to end up being thousands of random quests that send you all over the map for boring content. Go fetch 11 pages that got scattered. Dust off these vases. Get me plant samples all over the place. No thanks.

I also very much dislike the melee combat in this game. I am playing a tank to main tank for my guild so that my players always have someone they can count on for raids/pvp. If players will always be forced to either stand still or move forward during combat, I will actually hate playing a tank. Forcing my position and not allowing me to move around is just not fun.

The characters look bad right now. Dwarves look poorly designed and their ability to flip every jump is.....I don't even know what to say here other than it's just a dumb idea to implement.

I try to be positive in 99% of my posts and bring as many people into AoC as possible....but sometimes I need to blow off a little steam. This combat system has be rethinking how much time I will actually put into AoC. If they continue down the path of forcing melee to move forward or not being able to use abilities while "auto attacking" I honestly may not even play.

Ranting aside, literally every single other thing about AoC is lightyears ahead of the competition. From the mount system, to nodes, to the way the game looks visually.....it's all amazing.

This type of feedback is also positive to the game, and much more if they listen to us, so that's why I opened this thread. Thanks for sharing mate, hope they have it in consideration!
  • Options
    GaelgrimmaGaelgrimma Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The thing that drew me to this game was the environments. The art for the environments and mobs is wonderful...the sunshafts coming through the trees is nothing short of delightful. I have loved just wandering in new areas enjoying the vistas and the sounds of the wildlife.
  • Options
    MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The community
    ZeFuP1X.png
    If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.
  • Options
    RamirezRamirez Member
    edited July 2021
    Positive
    +Environment
    +Risk vs Reward
    +Open world pvp
    +Criminal system
    +Nodes
    +Open world dungeons/raids
    +Economy/politics driven
    +Music and sounds in general
    +Armors

This is basically for what i watch from streams and YouTube

Negative
    - Melee combat
    - World/raid Bosses ( no presence visually and weak mechanics in general)
    - Nameplates ( i would remove in mobs, just pop when target or with the mouse)
    - Dwarves ( Should be a little bigger, bulky and change that flip for a fat jump, signature racial jumps would be fun)

I have seen other things that i dislike but i think are just to early in work
  • Options
    Many of my likes/dislikes have been mentioned above, so I only have one that I can add for now that I haven't seen:

LOVE that this will NOT be cross platform. PC only
    tK6oEvp.png
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    As a "new" adventurer here, I'm trying to catch up all the information in the forum and in youtubers' channels. I'm not playing the alpha yet, so I don't have any personal opinion based on any gameplay by my own.

As some of you do, and some would have more info about the world than me, I would like to know what's what you are liking the most and what do you hate the most / are missing on the game,

DISCLAIMER: I have not played Ashes! I have watched about 7-8 hours of stream content, read forums, the wiki, and pre-ordered the package that allows me to access Alpha 2.

After reading the thread, I think these points are a little different, but here we go ...

Positives:
    +The open world. The field of vision is huge and everything feels so big (great job).
    +The quests have multiple text options, though I'd suggest incorporating a toggle for insta-text/slow-read text so people can take their time or skip ahead if they'd like.
    +The node system is probably the most novel MMO concept I've seen in a long time and really think it'll help the success of the game.
    +The three classes we've been exposed to seem unique and versatile.
    +The depth of the economy and tax systems.

Concerns:
    -To be totally candid, I'm kind of nervous about the combat. I like tab-targeting and the only action-combat game I really enjoyed was Wildstar (RIP). Of course, it's alpha, but I do think they need to choose one or the other instead of this hybrid style. There are certain things they should double-down on to ensure a successful project and combat, which will count toward a majority of a player's time, is something that MUST feel good. I'm not saying this because I'm personally a fan of tab-targeting, but it's just a lot to consider when they have to balance classes in the future. Even if they did away with tab-targeting and made combat action-only, that would be a better solution to me than hybrid combat.
    -As much as I don't like the notion behind "linear" quest progression (sounds very unexciting), I do think it's a necessary evil. I wasn't a huge fan of watching someone in the alpha pick up a level 3 quest and then a whopping level 15 quest from the same NPC. I think there needs to be some kind of restriction to this content so newer players aren't getting smashed by this stuff, and it just seems like a pain to run to a location to find the quest would be impossible at your level (even with a group), only to double-back because you got a new quest later on.

SUPER pumped for this game. Think it's going to be great. Just some feedback!
  • Options
    RavelRavel Member
    The company making it.
    The verb, not the composer name.