Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

I feel no soul from this game

inusaainusaa Member, Founder, Kickstarter
This game seems to be just about ideas and gameplay, I don't see any single piece of lore and soul from anything I saw or read yet.
Even the website don't describe anything at all, so it's very hard for me to feel connected. I just see a world with... things on it, without any context, any story..

I don't know if it's supposed to be a sandbox, but in any case, we need a setting.

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It can take a little digging to find the lore we have, even on the wiki. But there you go.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Lore

We're keeping lore very close to the chest and the reason for that is because it is very rich. It is diverse. It will have applications outside of just the MMORPG. We intend to take it much further, but I want it to be something that the players get to reveal themselves, that's not just handed to them and then the experience is lost. They should feel when they're experiencing this that it relates to them on a personal level.[6] – Steven Sharif

It is about mythology and discovering what truths mythologies are talking about and finding out what really happened on this world so long ago; and that's part of that discovery process; and we want people to feel that throughout the game, not just in terms of lore but in terms of the world itself.[7] – Jeffrey Bard

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Origin_story

Lore comes after base systems.
    We get tidbits now and again but we will get next to nothing till launch they want us to discover the lore as we play the game.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    That is entirely my bad for assuming that just putting in 'Lore' did not lead to a page like that.

I should know better.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Most of the lore is being specifically withheld to be discovered in game. The playable races of Verra fled a great deal of time ago to Sanctus and are now returning to Verra. The characters of the players know little or nothing about Verra. That is how the players are approaching Verra as well.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2021
    inusaa wrote: »
    This game seems to be just about ideas and gameplay, I don't see any single piece of lore and soul from anything I saw or read yet.
    Even the website don't describe anything at all, so it's very hard for me to feel connected. I just see a world with... things on it, without any context, any story..

I don't know if it's supposed to be a sandbox, but in any case, we need a setting.

Wait for release. What the hell do you expect before release from a brand new game?
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't know if it's supposed to be a sandbox
    It's supposed to be an Alpha.

They are testing the systems out. It's almost completely devoid of content at this point.

It's like griping that a cake that was just pulled hot out of the oven has no frosting on it.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    The center video is from the last Extra Life 24 hour stream last year. Steven give some of the lore about what is going on.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/2020-11-08_Extra_Life_Livestream
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    LMAO
    Well, there are bits of lore if you know where to find them, but a lot of info is being kept secret -especially lore- so that we have plenty of stuff to discover in-game after launch, rather than being jaded because we've known all the lore 5 years before launch.

We get plenty of feels when we run through the game and stumble upon fascinating points of interest: "What is that? What does it mean? And why is it there?"
    Had several instances of that while running around in the Alpha yesterday - with a friend who has been also been testing for months. We found cool stuff that wasn't in the game before and/or stuff that we couldn't get to before.
  • Options
    This shot from @Nerror already shows a world with character:

GZ77JjW.jpg

As others have stated already in your thread, most of the Lore is to be explored in-game. Steven's got a whole story planned out, but it'd be kind of spoil-some to give too much of it away, ahead of time. The guy they've hired to make the music (he hasn't started yet, from what I can gather) has done a good number of other titles and really added to the "soul" of those games. If you're really eager for it, there's a fair amount of lore already in the links to the forums others have posted. The story's a big secret, though....

My guess? The Goddess of Creation is empowered with every death that occurs, but far moreso on Verra than on Sanctus - and I think she wants to be the ONLY god!

They've got a great crew and the man at the helm is a gamer, himself; I'm free of any worries that the game won't have soul.

• Options

That was something i called out on social a while back, but was told they are keeping lore hush for now. Lore matters a lot to me and the story around your character. But i understand why they won't be talking much about it, YET. But it's coming! :)
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    Lore is told through gameplay stories, through quests. The game hasn't gotten to a content development stage as of yet. There are some quests there and likely they have stories written up for certain areas but you will not see any of this in Alpha 1.
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    edited July 2021
    GZ77JjW.jpg

Such an impressive screenshot. I'm incredibly impressed by IS for their environment creation
  • Options
    MerekMerek Member
    edited July 2021
    I don't think this game will be anywhere near as deep compared to games such as FFXIV or WoW, they've got quite an insane amount of lore and world building behind them. When it comes to Ashes though, all of the 'lore' will be used to give loose reasoning as to why certain races, mobs and mechanics exist. That's about it. The game is a sandbox at heart, can't change that. And really, nobody should play an MMO for the story, we've got singleplayer games for that.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Merek wrote: »
    I don't think this game will be anywhere near as deep compared to games such as FFXIV or WoW

To start off with, no.

But that is because those games have had years, or (in the case of WoW) decades to build their lore.

You cant expect a new game to compare to that right out of the gate.
  • Options
    Lol, what kind of gamer would want a game with "ideas and gameplay", huh?! :D
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This shot from @Nerror already shows a world with character:

GZ77JjW.jpg

[/i]

That is a good screenshot. I think I have a screenshot somewhere of me standing next to that very gnome from a few weeks back.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Thanks for your answers everybody :)

Of course I don't ask for spoils and for knowing everything before the game release, but just the bare minimum setting. Right now we know absolutely nothing of this world, and I find that annoying.

I think it's the only mmo I get to know that tell us absolutely nothing, it makes me feel I don't even know where I put my foot in.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2021
    LMAO
    You know absolutely nothing.
    We actually have a bit more than the bare minimum.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Pantheon
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Why is there lore on a wiki, while the previous website and this one have nothing ?

New customers shouldn't have to dig the web.
  • Options
    The wiki is community run.
    Intrepid has more important things to do then gather and correlate everything said and posted.
  • Options
    Three reasons. Alpha. Alpha. Uh, and Alpha. It is not a content test. I’m sure you don’t like that answer, but it is what it is.

How much of the soul of a game comes via the players and community? I happen to think quite a bit. Each node, each server, each community will have varying degrees of soul. And what the players do quite literally changes the world around them.

There are nuggets of info hidden in the dialog of quest givers that reveal what looks to be a deep level of story. This game doesn’t carry the Star Wars style introduction to tell you what is going on. You have to discover that on your own through your exploration and actions.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2021
    Why is there lore on a wiki, while the previous website and this one have nothing ?

You are set to prove that it's the studios fault. Nobody is buying it.
    You are not a customer. The game has not been released yet.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

You are set to prove that it's the studios fault. Nobody is buying it.
    You are not a customer. The game has not been released yet.

This is truth. For everyone that has given money to the studio thus far (myself included), we are backing a project in development. We are not customers and nothing is currently owed to us.

Even if you spend money on something that should have a return (for example, a package that grants access to a testing phase) that isn't a guarantee. If for some reason they cancel the beta tests and instead have some company do QA up until release, well that's possible I suppose. (It would be weird, but it could happen.)

Once the game is released, then there is a product, anyone who has provided money has something owed to them, and we're now customers. Oh, and (heaven forbid) if the studio goes belly-up for some reason and the project is canceled before release? We're out of luck there. (So let's keep faith that won't happen.)

Hhak63P.png
  • Options

I get what you mean. It would be nice if the website had some basic info on the setting as a reference point for new people.
  • Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Most of time (all time?) site got some section for showing races and classes. the site doesn't have it yet.

And i think people look more often to those before downloading a game than the lore section... Because part of players don't care lore in begining.

What i say is not "no need of lore section" on the site, but more "the site lack of many thing for now" mainly because "the game is far from existing yet" this will be a thing to treat with during/after alpha 2.

Patience ;)
  • Options
    @Aerlana Thanks for not being passive agressive in your answer like a lot are
  • Options
    bloodandthunderbloodandthunder Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't think this game will be anywhere near as deep compared to games such as FFXIV or WoW, they've got quite an insane amount of lore and world building behind them. When it comes to Ashes though, all of the 'lore' will be used to give loose reasoning as to why certain races, mobs and mechanics exist. That's about it. The game is a sandbox at heart, can't change that. And really, nobody should play an MMO for the story, we've got singleplayer games for that.

The backstory is important to for the setting and theme. It's up to the players to create the lore surrounding the present and future of the game
  • Options
    Ravudha wrote: »

I get what you mean. It would be nice if the website had some basic info on the setting as a reference point for new people.

The website is not finished yet. They are still working on it and I guess they just don´t want to add stuff that may or may not change.
  • Options

I don´t think it´s gonna be like that. The thing with games like WoW is that it´s been out for years now and had the time to build that lore. But with how Steven talked about the game I think he is pretty invested in the lore so I guess we don´t have to worry on that front. Let´s wait for the release and see how it goes.
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    MineTree wrote: »

I don´t think it´s gonna be like that. The thing with games like WoW is that it´s been out for years now and had the time to build that lore. But with how Steven talked about the game I think he is pretty invested in the lore so I guess we don´t have to worry on that front. Let´s wait for the release and see how it goes.

Also, the lore is based on his pathfinder campaign which he had been building for a long time.