Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Is it me, or the characters are a little out of proportion to the rest of the world?

From what I've seen, I feel like the characters in this game are smaller in terms of proportion to the rest of the world (buildings, houses, trees, etc.).

Is it just me, or does someone else feel it that way too?

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It's just you.

More seriously, as I can obviously only speak for myself, I don't feel it.

I know it was discussed that the Creative Director prefers to play MMOs fully zoomed out, which might have led to the 'default' camera distance from the player being further out. Most streamers aren't likely to change this, I haven't seen any who have adjusted it.

(Group Lock Disabled)
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Uh oh!
    Can of worms just opened! I'm running for cover!
  • Options
    RaizoxRaizox Member
    Azherae wrote: »
    It's just you.

I know it was discussed that the Creative Director prefers to play MMOs fully zoomed out, which might have led to the 'default' camera distance from the player being further out. Most streamers aren't likely to change this, I haven't seen any who have adjusted it.

(Group Lock Disabled)

Several streamers also said it.

But this has nothing to do with that.
  • Options
    Oh, ok, then I definitely don't feel it.

A door on a house doesn't seem to be the wrong size, to me. And my character doesn't seem to be the wrong size relative to the door...

The palm trees are usually the size of the ones I've seen in my life, and the shorter trees have branches that annoy me because they have collision and my character can't run under them.

The dungeons, however, are vertically huge, which they've said is by design, so I see the feeling there as intentional.

• Options
    Open world PVP your camera is zoomed out to scan for other players.

As for scale, looks about right to me.

I get a sense they want the ruins and dungeons to have a rather epic scale. Supposed to represent a sort of paradise lost. Also makes more space for big monsters.
  • Options
    GrandSerpentGrandSerpent Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    In short, yes, but there's a fairly good reason for it to be that way.

Third-person games have some unique design constraints which necessitate a larger scale than is strictly "realistic", since characters need a lot of room to move around comfortably, and the camera needs to be able to zoom out without getting stuck on anything. This is a larger problem in MMOs, where dozens of characters might need to occupy the same room for an event like a siege or raid, while still having enough room to reposition freely.

At a "normal" scale, environments would feel cramped and awkward to navigate. Therefore, buildings in MMOs are designed to accommodate this, and are often built with high ceilings and large floorplans.

From what I've seen in the alpha, props like market stalls, wagons, and tents are in-proportion with characters, but buildings are scaled up a bit, and trees are tall enough that the camera won't clip through branches if it's fully zoomed out. However, in practice, I don't find this to be that noticeable, especially with the camera zoomed in for a closer over-the-shoulder view.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yes, I feel pretty small compared to the world.

But then again lately I've been testing with a dwarf mage so I think that should be expected.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    If there is one area to complain about it’s dwarves having poor visibility in high grass areas. But then I suppose that goes both ways with respect to other players.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2021
    Nah, it's pretty to scale to me. In fact I was fairly impressed with how everything felt proportionally. The best example I can give is the village walls in Winstead (for those of you who are streamer view only.) They are just high enough to cover a decent amount of the lower laying buildings, but like in actual medieval architecture, the wooden walls (palisades) are mostly made out of tree sized logs (relative to the ones surrounding winstead) and about a a third to a quarter of a persons height depending on elevation. They are pretty in line with the actual palisades and fortresses I've been to irl. No one will build a wall bigger than they need to irl and many fantasy games screw that up. They either get outlandishly out of proportion compared to the trees, wood, and available quarries or/and make things egregiously tall and big to make things feel more important and 'epic'. This is acceptable for temples, castles and statues, but day to day buildings? I'm quite happy with how things are right now.

Relative to the character they feel like they were made by and for an average human. As a dwarf player, they feel slightly too big to me, however, I think Dunir dwarves will be built a bit taller than the base test model on average.

Barrels? Wagons? Tents? They all feel slightly too small honestly, but close enough to correct that it doesn't bother me. I think that has a lot to do with the fact that things are in third person and the zoom is kinda far like Azherae said.

As for natural landscapes? No, those are about to scale. If anything the landscapes feel a bit smaller than I'd expect. I've been to many mountains and sweeping hilly areas on multiple continents and can say that things do tend to make you feel that small irl. It's working as expected given the areas Intrepid has chosen to 'show off' the most by making the starter area, even a little on the smaller side I'd say. Maybe in the full build this will be increased relative to natural landscapes since this is only a low laying tropical area for the most part. The truly mountainous areas are close to the world border (I tried) so I couldn't get a good sense of the more extreme terrain. Admittedly I haven't been up to the northest north.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    One thing I think it's fair to mention is that right now we have almost no customization options. You pick one of a few heads, one of a few hairstyles, one of a few facial hair styles, and a race and gender. That's it.

The final game is supposed to have an extremely robust customization system, I believe it was said that it should be on par with what you see in Black Desert Online. So it's possible that the characters we make now are on the low end of the height scale but we will have the option to make them much larger in later testing stages and then release. Just a guess.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    When EQ Next was still a thing. Building stuff the Dev's did a contest. Lots of people built stuff that looked "right" compared to their characters. But when players went in they would get stuck. They talked about how player spaces had to be bigger for playability. There need to be room for players to move and maybe even fight with out getting stuck behind a table in the corner type stuff.
    So the play spaces being bigger is a design feature.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    MalapapasMalapapas Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2021
    I thought I was the only one that felt off by the character scaling. I even asked my discord if anyone else saw this. I just thought maybe it was the zoom out factor if you zoomed too much but something about the aesthetic relative to the size of the character just felt unnatural (could it be missing ambient sounds or maybe weather effects to make it feel more alive?). The character generally felt "small". Maybe if UI customization becomes a thing you can make the skill bar smaller and then zoom in more without losing too much FoV. Or maybe the Orcs would feel "bigger" once they become available...
  • Options
    Have seen a few comments around about this topic. @KiraTV had video posted yesterday wherein he specifically mentions this, but I just couldn't agree; Seems proportionate, to me.

The thing that has been taking me out of the environment is how many streams have had to turn down their graphics settings - especially around crowds of players. Even "beast" machines have been putting out low FPS around groups. Some streamers remember to turn it back up later, but a good number do not.

The most un-real element to me so far has been character movement; There's something a little off, about it. There are plenty of custom animations so far, but the running seems too "default", or too much like the un-decorated avatar moves, in Unreal Engine. Dwarves don't seem to have this problem, as their movement animations are all custom - but Humans definitely seem to have it.

• Options
    If there is one area to complain about it’s dwarves having poor visibility in high grass areas. But then I suppose that goes both ways with respect to other players.

Don't go into the long grass!!!

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jurassic-pedia.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F05%2FLongGrassRaptors.png.png&f=1&nofb=1
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    It's just you.

(Group Lock Disabled)

No it's not just the OP. Something with the characters does feel off, as if they are a bit too small for their surroundings or maybe it is the lighting. All I can say is it looked better in the livestream for June, probably because better lighting? The player characters do look a bit out of place in the world at the moment.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    dewan58 wrote: »
    It's just you.

(Group Lock Disabled)

No it's not just the OP. Something with the characters does feel off, as if they are a bit too small for their surroundings or maybe it is the lighting. All I can say is it looked better in the livestream for June, probably because better lighting? The player characters do look a bit out of place in the world at the moment.

They seem to me, as someone who has played, within proportion of irl objects relative to the characters. What seems off to you?
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    MakinojiMakinoji Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    I agree the model looks a tad small but only when inside places like homes, like the furniture, is going to eat them up. Steven has a vision for this grand world of his, so that will be hard to get changed.
  • Options
    I can sorta see it now, that I've tried to, and I can say why I might not have before.

I assume that characters in games like these are quite short, particularly when they aren't of the 'tall race' in the game, whatever that is.

I also expect ceilings to be high, for camera movement related reasons, and the Empyrean Architecture (I wouldn't spend too long in a Kaelar house) makes that even moreso.

Maybe that's why? We're playing non-customizable characters, as someone pointed out. Those of us who normally play tall characters might notice it faster? (so far that seems to be how it goes for everyone I know)

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think it's the camera angles; not the lighting.
    Of course, the devs know how to adjust the camera to get the best images for their videos.
  • Options
    Raizox wrote: »
    Is it just me, or does someone else feel it that way too?
    this is an issue with third-person perspective in games.

If you go to Stormwind, in World of Warcraft, you will notice that the designers used a technique that Disney started using in their parks: the buildings have wrong proportions ON PURPOSE, having towers get "smaller" as they get higher so that when players look at them from afar, they look taller. Disney used this in their parks to make things look bigger and more exciting.

But that is easier to do in a cartoonish design like wow.
  • Options
    SunScriptSunScript Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The size thing is not something that bothered me, because I end up comparing my size with that of the pork roast I pass by, the tents I go in, etc. Relative to the objects I've seen the size seems fine. For tall architecture, I don't know what to say other than I love feeling intimidated by the architecture in games.

I did notice the default zoom out though and liked it. I like to play as zoomed out as is possible/practical in all my MMORPGs and strategy games and actually everything. I imagine that's going to be adjustable and remain adjustable though, to suit different tastes.
    Bow before the Emperor and your lives shall be spared. Refuse to bow and your lives shall be speared.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think they fit pretty well. It helps not to be zoomed all the way out btw. Also, Dunir are friggin' tiny. Like gnomes.