Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What’s wrong with the world?

I don’t see a problem with the world. I feel like the world looks nice, but then again it is an alpha map so it probably isn’t all what it should look like but either way I like it, what’s the problem with it? That it’s just too big?

I just recently watched skylent games video on ashes of creation and it’s test, he completely bashed the game but I’m not understanding why he hates it. He claims it just doesn’t seem immersive and that the characters seem floaty but to me, I don’t have a problem. Now the character shadows I feel like makes it look like the characters sliding but other than that it’s good. It does remind me of elder scrolls online and I hated that game but i liked the environment here than I did in that game. What are y’all’s thoughts im curious because obviously the community is split because of this.

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't think the Community is particularly split.
    The vast majority think what we have now is great for an Alpha One.
    People who are expecting a close-to-finished game might feel otherwise.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Sounds like someone who doesn’t understand what ‘Alpha test’ means.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    JaveonJaveon Member
    Dygz wrote: »
    I don't think the Community is particularly split.
    The vast majority think what we have now is great for an Alpha One.
    People who are expecting a close-to-finished game might feel otherwise.

Very true. I’ve seen mixed emotions through most content creators but, that one seemed to just not like the game entirely.
  • Options
    JaveonJaveon Member
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Sounds like someone who doesn’t understand what ‘Alpha test’ means.

True I guess you could say that then.
  • Options
    GaluxGalux Member
    As mentioned, Alpha & stage 1 at that :) Write feedback on how to improve the world so the devs can gather information on where to go next. Saying game bad me no like does not provide anything at all.
    8DGfGVF.png
  • Options
    I like that this game seems to have a mix between realism and non-realism. A little from guild wars and a little from elder scrolls. To me, that's the best of both world. I'm excited how this world will look in the final product. Right now everything does look very much placeholder. But it's Alpha and the game won't come out until late 2022 or 2023. They got time!
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    to be fair noone is saying they dislike it and everyone knows this is an alpha, how ever what better time to raise issues and concerns than during an alpha, i think this is why the NDA was lifted :)

as for the world i can only speak for my self but i think i share the same thoughts as the people you are referring to

i think as a whole the world looks incredible, the team are absolutely doing an incredible job and to top it off they are designing all the art them selves so massive props

but i can definitely see what people are referring to also,

the world seems a bit big and over scaled, a bit generic and is missing that certain immersive feel, it feels more like you are out in the country side than on a new planet/world. i feel like the view distance could be scaled back a bit to add a bit more mystique and adventure to the player experience,

the character models could be scaled up a bit and the world scaled down, not in world total size but for example the rocks and flowers all seem over scaled, obviously there are parts of the world that should have these additions but to have the same flower every 5 meters on a different scale feels a bit dull.

as it is atm there is no draw/pull to make the adventurer want to explore, nothing pulling them off the path, you look into the distance and see the same generic 3 tree models with a few rocks scattered in between and there is no reason to go off the path, resulting in the players just going generically from quest to quest.

I obviously know this is an alpha and things will change over time, i think once intrepid add weathering affects/ and make your character a bit more grounded ie footsteps left in the mud, less of a walking over ice feel, it will change dramatically and they are definitely on the right track to doing this, but to sum it all up i think players are extremley excited to play a new game, part of the new game feel is exploring the world. when you can see the entire map from the top of a mountain it almost ruins the experience ( in my eyes anyway), theres something magical about going into a new area that you know is a high leveled area and exploring for the first time not knowing what to expect

just my thoughts anyway :)
  • Options
    Javionn wrote: »
    I just recently watched skylent games video on ashes of creation and it’s test, he completely bashed the game but I’m not understanding why he hates it.

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fc1.staticflickr.com%2F9%2F8498%2F8292174927_3885a96d42.jpg&f=1&nofb=1
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Ebro EpaitoEbro Epaito Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This subject has a very slippery slope........content creators can wield immense power in these types of situations. Will gaming companies cower to them ? I only watch 1 content creator for this game and its rare that I catch his live stream and he's pretty no nonsense and has a ton of info on this game. The second social media platforms were monetized the "message" became "tainted" , everyone has an agenda and the world is full of haters. You can follow and be a sheep or play the game and make up your own mind. ehhhh
  • Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    As already said,
    Many games you goes in alpha and it is a beta. or at worst what we will have in alpha 2 (already most main features in the game). Not a back-end alpha that test the core of the systems, the netcode, the servers.

So lot of people will compare this alpha1 with alpha they saw elsewhere.

Second problem : many streamers are just brainless players that can't even understand anything outside their own vision of "what a good game is". No curiosity. They are unable to understand "why this game is so popular" when it come to exotic game design they don't understand. and they don't try even ... just "people now are dumb"

Community split ? read the forum... the most splitted debate now are "parser in the game : yes or no ?" and "tank as name of archetype" . . . And while on both this topics i defend my opinion, i am far to be angry or anything of this kind with those on the "opposite" side... and i feel the same from them.

The community now is not streamers, it is not the "silence majority". Those are just people who comes, watch the state of the game to maybe get more interested and finally play it when release.

The "community" right now is on forum, the game is in development and the forum is where people who have many hopes in this game comes to say what they like and dislike, what they hope, how they want things to change. They care about what the game can be in the end.

when we will go in beta 2 (last step before release) yes, the community will be outside of the forum. But again, a guy who will watch and say "but, why the fuck is there not a on/off on PvP?!" won't be from AoC community. because simply the game is not for them. People saying "game is shit" because they will dislike from this are just unmature people who consider their opinion and taste better than the others
  • Options
    bloodandthunderbloodandthunder Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don’t see a problem with the world. I feel like the world looks nice, but then again it is an alpha map so it probably isn’t all what it should look like but either way I like it, what’s the problem with it? That it’s just too big?

I just recently watched skylent games video on ashes of creation and it’s test, he completely bashed the game but I’m not understanding why he hates it. He claims it just doesn’t seem immersive and that the characters seem floaty but to me, I don’t have a problem. Now the character shadows I feel like makes it look like the characters sliding but other than that it’s good. It does remind me of elder scrolls online and I hated that game but i liked the environment here than I did in that game. What are y’all’s thoughts im curious because obviously the community is split because of this.

Oh wow! I never heard of skylent, and just watched his video on AoC. He comes off as a severely entitled individual who think the world owes him a favor on a silver platter. AT the very beginning of the video he gives himself away, he's entirely jaded by the fact that he didn't get selected for the content creator program and wasn't given a free pass to play the game, so he instead decides to bash on it taking every petty route he can find.

I would not sub to him nor value his opinions as any sort of authority.

• Options
    I can agree that the character does not seem to fit into the world(at least to me) but I can't really say why... but then again this alpha is a system test so the graphics are not the focus. Still, the world looks great, they just have to play with the UI and the character a bit so that they play well with the world I guess.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think I used to think the characters didn't quite fit the world last year, but have since acclimated enough that I barely notice it now.
    I think part of what I felt is that the characters are slightly more cartoony than the environments.
  • Options
    MakinojiMakinoji Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    Just remember the same things were said about every MMO ever made.
    Gw2 suffered from the floating criticism but it's barely noticeable at all bc of the work they did to improve it.
    I can only guess this streamer was ill-informed and should have stayed out of a testing environment.
  • Options
    GrihmGrihm Member

Just pointing out...In Alpha 1, you play on about 17% of the total world size.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/World_size
  • Options
    I did the research as to what an Alpha is and set my expectations accordingly.
    I'm blown away by
    1) how good the world looks
    2) how long it takes to travel around even this small chunk of Verra
    3) how much actual (mostly working) content there is for the testers to engage with
    4) the quality of several of the placeholder animations
    Before the NDA drop I placed my expectations somewhere between the most pessimistic and most optimistic opinions. The reality that streamers are showing me is much, much better.
    That said, there is still a ton of systems to implement, test, rework (rinse repeat) so I still think 2+ years until release.
    Forum_Signature.png