breed/raise mounts

IcehoundIcehound Member
edited July 2021 in General Discussion
hello dear community members

i have a suggestion
instead of just giving players mounts from vendors or quest just like other games ,why you dont allow people to breed and raise basic to rare type types of mounts in there yard ,adapting somewhat similar to "albion online game " mount system?

these mounts would get a stat based on how successful the certain breed process has been

each mount would be good at certain things like
-bulky horses with higher hitpoint but with less stamina and slow speed
-skinny horses with low hp but faster and higher stamina
-mounts which can allow players to carry more items with them
-mounts who have the ability to fight along side the player

and give mounts abilities and gears,like wearable armor set which effects the stats of a certain breed mounts

different color pattern ,the more rare a mount gets the rare the color gets

in order not flood the market with mounts, give mounts life cycles, meaning
-basic mounts are allowed to die 2 times during combat before they vanish from your inventory
-the more rare the mount becomes the further the chances a mount gets before it disappear from your inventory if they die a specific times during combat .

-this would strengthen the link between a mount and a player making rare and legendary mounts so valuable to players, thin of it as the relationship between ( Roach and the witcher )

-reduce the number of stock mounts available on the market place

this will add further game play mechanics and better experience for players

so what you think, am really looking forward to hear your thoughts

Comments

• CptBrownBeardCptBrownBeard Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    We don't know the exact details yet, but there will an animal husbandry system similar to what you're asking.
  • We don't know the exact details yet, but there will an animal husbandry system similar to what you're asking.

i really hope, because i always wanted to breed animals in video games, sadly there arent simply games which focus on this and do it right ...

imagine even going further and allowing us to cross breed between 2 different animals creating new creature as a result ..

people would spend months on trying to breed different range of animals
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    What little we do know so far is here.
    I am with you hope they need to be brought into the world by players vs just go see a vendor in town.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Animal_husbandry
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    What little we do know so far is here.
    I am with you hope they need to be brought into the world by players vs just go see a vendor in town.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Animal_husbandry

Having a horse vendor in town definitely threw me off in the alpha. Zero mounts should be sold by vendors. They should all come from the profession. Maybe there could be a "mount vendor" that only sells mounts that players have given to that npc to sell with a cut going to the town. Instead of having to sell it in town, just dump it off and come back later to pick up the profits.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2021
    It's Alpha One. No taming yet. And no Animal Husbandry yet.
  • MerekMerek Member
    Again, Animal Husbandry is meaningless if mounts aren't finite.
    That's not true.
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2021
    Merek wrote: »

Do you mean finite as in 'will always cease to be usable after a certain amount of time or distance', or do you mean finite as in 'can eventually be phased into another function where they are no longer rideable and retire/disappear'?
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Mount coming from husbandry will have different stats and skills.

1) depending on skill, not impossible you want have 2, 3 or more different to fit different situations
    2) due to stat variation again, you could do more and more to have the "best possible"

Also, a thing important : animal husbandry won't be like breeding horse and getting T9/T10 in BDO where everyone can do it. it is a profession bind to freehold. and it is 1 freehold per account (so alt won't change anything about it)
    Only some part of players will do animal husbandry, so before we reach a point where everyone get his mount of his dream... there will be time. lot of time.
  • I think for mounts Albion system would fit better in aoc , but instead of losing mounts when ganked, for aoc would be great lose durability if you die with your mount in the inventory...

That would people think 2 times before use there OP mount for banal things, and use low tier or more comum mounts to daily activities
  • MerekMerek Member
    Aerlana wrote: »

Mount coming from husbandry will have different stats and skills.

1) depending on skill, not impossible you want have 2, 3 or more different to fit different situations
    2) due to stat variation again, you could do more and more to have the "best possible"

Also, a thing important : animal husbandry won't be like breeding horse and getting T9/T10 in BDO where everyone can do it. it is a profession bind to freehold. and it is 1 freehold per account (so alt won't change anything about it)
    Only some part of players will do animal husbandry, so before we reach a point where everyone get his mount of his dream... there will be time. lot of time.

Again, it's meaningless. At least a blacksmith will have consistent work, once I've got a good mount, it cannot degrade or die, unlike armor. I don't know what it being bound to a freehold means either, I'm gonna assume that anyone part of a decent guild will have their own in-house blacksmiths and animal trainers, rendering outside parties useless. Eventually, not within the first week or month, but eventually, the skill will be rendered useless.
  • AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2021
    Again, it's meaningless. At least a blacksmith will have consistent work, once I've got a good mount, it cannot degrade or die, unlike armor. I don't know what it being bound to a freehold means either, I'm gonna assume that anyone part of a decent guild will have their own in-house blacksmiths and animal trainers, rendering outside parties useless. Eventually, not within the first week or month, but eventually, the skill will be rendered useless.

Yes, most guilds prepared and organised will have their own breeder "rendering outside parties useless" like for ... any gathering, processing and crafting... the biggest guild will probably able to be autarcic.

BUT

1) tamer + breeder duo can do more that what guilds need to sell it to smaller guild without breeder, or even guildless people.

2) due to variety of mount, you will probably want two or three for there different skill and so for the use in different situation

3) we don't know how system will work : on one part, how much game time to tame animals to do the breeding, then, how much time (in game or maybe even... IRL) to get a mount...

Just point 2 and 3 can lead that it will need time to get all people have their own mount...

And finally, if we reach a point where every character even the most casuals, get the mount of their dream. . . It will remain one thing : the mule ! Again some are breedable.

To be honest, time we don't have answer about 2 and 3 (because... system not in alpha-1 so can't test to see...). In such situation, i wait the time to test it (alpha-2 probably) and i trust the dev team enough to do a good work to have no kind of artisan being useless past one point.

Also, in the worst case (the really worst case i really think we won't see), we get to the point that breeding and taming becomes useless, they just can go from taming to another gathering profession, and from animal husbandry to another processing profession.
    The profession is 3 skill trees : gathering, processing and crafting. Each character can master one of the skill tree (so or gathering, or processing, or crafting). Animal husbandry is "just" one of the different "processing" profession.
    It's meaningless to you but not to other players.
    People are going to want mounts and pets with different skills.
    Especially combat mounts. And different mounts will fare better in different conditions - especially weather.
    Just because you will want to keep just one mount forever does not mean the same will be true for most players.
  • Dont forget about eggs from bosses etc. Everything will depend on your animal husbandry. Mostly time which mount can be kept.
  • iirc mounts can be used as caravan components too. Although ...

1. we don't know if the caravan mounts are reusable once a caravan has reached its destination
    2. we don't know if the mounts die or drop if a caravan is robbed & destroyed. (I remember seeing "caravans drop components & loot certificates" somewhere on wiki ...)

And caravans are the key to Verra logistics. So animal husbandry folks probably won't go out of business.