Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[Closed] Casual Gameplay

AutumnEmbersAutumnEmbers Member
edited July 2021 in General Discussion
Ashes of Creation seems like a great game, but it also seems to be a hardcore game that requires you to play at least a few hours every week to really get the most out of everything. I tend to take many multi-month breaks from MMORPGs, and I think that this will significantly impact the game for me. It seems like, if I take breaks, I will:

1. Lose my house due to either the node being overrun or lack of maintenance
2. Lose my mount because they have timers
3. Lose my armor/gear because of the degradation system
4. Lose my village/town/city because of node wars

And whatever else might be easily lost within a month or so.
It probably won't be a problem for most players. Subscription players tend to play a lot every month, consistently. But I wanted to put this out there. Will the game be enjoyable for players like me, who tend to take multi-month breaks? It seems like I'll forever be a wandering, naked, and companionless sad adventurer.

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Wait...

"2. Lose my mount because they have timers" What is the purpose of a timer on mounts?
    "3. Lose my armor/gear because of the degradation system" This sounds like a CONSTANT stupid grind.

Then this game would be a deal breaker for me...
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    As far as what we know so far, 1 and 4 are possible, 2 is only possible if you had a Timed mount from a drop, and 3 doesn't work that way (most games only damage your armor when you fight)
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Azherae wrote: »
    As far as what we know so far, 1 and 4 are possible, 2 is only possible if you had a Timed mount from a drop, and 3 doesn't work that way (most games only damage your armor when you fight)

In ESO, the more damage you take, your gear will become broken overtime and you will need to repair it for X amount of gold. But you will never lose your gear.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    1 and 4 might happen. Just join a different Node.
    Most mounts do not have timers. If you are casual, you probably won't have many mounts that have timers.
    Item decay occurs with death; not passage of time.
  • Options
    Judging by what others are saying, it seems like the only thing that I will lose is my node/home. That is fine. I don't mind being a nomad if I can keep my companions and my clothes.
    But is there anything else that I will lose if I take long breaks?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Member
    But is there anything else that I will lose if I take long breaks?
    Fun
  • Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Houses loss comes only from node destruction if i don't do mistake.

And node destruction is a big risk even for no life people playing 12h a day, 365 days a year. So don't consider this as risk if you do breaks, just you won't be active in defense, while some of the potential attackers might be also in break.

Freehold (which is little different that house) can be destroy after its node was destroyed. else, you have 2 weeks to do quests to make it in another node influence (so long break + node lose = sure to lose also your freehold)

For other thing to lose... i don't see
  • Options
    If you're going to be taking multi-month breaks from Ashes, don't expect it to be the same when you log back in. The server isn't going to sit and wait for you to come back again. As to your question: I imagine the game will still be enjoyable, but not as much as if you put the effort into it.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ashes of Creation seems like a great game, but it also seems to be a hardcore game that requires you to play at least a few hours every week to really get the most out of everything. I tend to take many multi-month breaks from MMORPGs, and I think that this will significantly impact the game for me. It seems like, if I take breaks, I will:

It probably won't be a problem for most players. Subscription players tend to play a lot every month, consistently. But I wanted to put this out there. Will the game be enjoyable for players like me, who tend to take multi-month breaks? It seems like I'll forever be a wandering, naked, and companionless sad adventurer.

1. If the Node is destroyed or hasn't been maintained you can lose your house, however the blueprints to rebuild it and have all your furniture and what not are sent to your mail upon loss so you can rebuild in a new home. It's less an outright loss and more of a debt.
    2. As of right now the only mounts w/ timers are the very limited flying ones. Your normal mounts are just mounts like in any other game.
    3. Your armor/gear does have durability and rather than just gold it'll take crafting materials to repair it. Having your gear looted by others only happens if you're extremely Corrupted.
    4. Yep, that's the eternal risk of AoC. It's what's supposed to motivate you to participate in Sieges and Caravans to not lose the place you call home.

Taking a multi-month break from AoC will be no different than taking a break in any other MMO, it'll continue to move on and grow w/o you. The difference w/ AoC is that it's the players that determine that growth, not the devs.
    ZeFuP1X.png
    If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.
  • Options

You'll be able to avoid all/most of those things just by logging in an hour per week.
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    If you're going to be taking multi-month breaks from Ashes, don't expect it to be the same when you log back in. The server isn't going to sit and wait for you to come back again. As to your question: I imagine the game will still be enjoyable, but not as much as if you put the effort into it.
    This does not answer my question.
    I don't expect a game to be put on pause while I take a break. That's ridiculous.
    What I'm asking is if I will lose things that I own while offline, thus cutting my enjoyability with my personal kind of gameplay. All answers so far have been similar. The only personal thing that I might lose is my house, and even that may not be such a problem. This is fine.
  • Options
    I don't expect a game to be put on pause while I take a break. That's ridiculous.
    What I'm asking is if I will lose things that I own while offline, thus cutting my enjoyability with my personal kind of gameplay. All answers so far have been similar. The only personal thing that I might lose is my house, and even that may not be such a problem. This is fine.

You only actually asked one question, which I specifically answered in my reply.

"Will the game be enjoyable for players like me, who tend to take multi-month breaks?"

So, yeah. It kinda did...
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options

As I said you don't technically "lose" anything besides the physical space your house was in and any standing w/ your Node. (Corruption not counted) Majority of your personal belongings travel w/ you as do blueprints for your house so most "losses" are closer to being a debt than anything else.
    ZeFuP1X.png
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Maezriel wrote: »
    3. Your armor/gear does have durability and rather than just gold it'll take crafting materials to repair it. Having your gear looted by others only happens if you're extremely Corrupted.

Yeah this seems awful to me. Having to lose your gear you've worked hard for and having to re-grind it if you lose it. I mean, if you are doing raids/PvP, you will take quite a lot of damage on your gear. So am i going to have to farm materials every day i log in then? That seems boring and very time consuming to me.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2021
    Is there durability loss from battlegrounds deaths?
    I think we don't have enough design info to whine about that yet.
    If you die often enough during a raid that your armor breaks, you will have to repair it.
    Dying has consequences. Just be glad permadeath is not one of those consequences.
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2021

1. Yes, it is possible you will lose your house if you take extended breaks due to your Node being destroyed as well as you not paying your tax on your house causing you to lose it.

2. The only mounts you lose due to timers are flying mounts, and if you're only playing a few hours a week you most likely will never get one anyway so you don't have to worry about that.

3. Your armour and gear does not degrade because you are logged off. Your armour and gear degrades like in any other MMORPG. However, in Ashes you are required to pay both gold and materials in order to repair your gear, not just gold. So if you have a steel sword, you'll need to pay both (for example) 50 gold and 3 steel ingots to repair it instead of most other games where you just pay 50 gold.

4. Yes, this can happen.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2021

Yeah this seems awful to me. Having to lose your gear you've worked hard for and having to re-grind it if you lose it. I mean, if you are doing raids/PvP, you will take quite a lot of damage on your gear. So am i going to have to farm materials every day i log in then? That seems boring and very time consuming to me.
    A game that has heavy gear loss will have content based around that - one design decision of a game will always inform the remainder of design decisions in that game.

Having a game where there is full on gear degradation so that all gear is destroyed eventually would result in that game not having the same level of gear grind as other games, but you would just need to perform that grind more often.

Creating a game with gear destruction yet with the same gear acquisition rate of games without it would be like trying to put WoW style raiding in a game with permanent character death. It just wouldn't happen so isn't worth thinking about.

A game that is in the middle will obviously fall in the middle of that - this is where Ashes is likely to sit.

It isn't as if the game is going to require you to go and spend all of your time on working towards gear maintenance, as that would clearly be bad game design, just as perma-death in a game with WoW style raiding would be bad game design.
  • Options

There are no Death Penalties applied to events like Caravans and Sieges b/c the focus is on the objective. Most of your durability loss will be from regular PvE and spontaneous PvP. You also don't necessarily have to grind the mats. Nothing's stopping you from spending gold to purchase someone else's mats or paying a little extra to get a crafter to use theirs.
    ZeFuP1X.png
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Nothing's stopping you from spending gold to purchase someone else's mats or paying a little extra to get a crafter to use theirs.
    Considering the notions some people have, this point is worth repeating.

Repairing gear in Ashes need not be any more complicated than handing an appropriate crafter some coin - as opposed to handing an NPC some coin.