Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Size of Verra

KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
In LazyPeons recent video he mentions that alpha island is roughly 17% of what the game world will be upon release. I'm assuming and hoping his information on this is incorrect. Does anyone have any additional insight on this topic?

Alpha island contains 9 nodes and there will be 103 nodes with 5 castles. If anything, based on simple math, alpha island is roughly 1/11th of what the world will be and this is not counting the under realm. Considering an alliance "currently" is able to have 1200 members, I am afraid of zergs controlling massive areas. If LazyPeon is correct, the world will be entirely too small.

Comments

• Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Grihm wrote: »

Wow I completely missed that haha. I guess only time will tell if 1200 people (and more in a second/third alliance) will be able to completely zerg all content and roam without a care in the world.
  • Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2021
    to it, have to add the around 100km² of underrealm (with its own nodes)

What is intended, i find it small also (it includes land AND water)

it will make not really close, and easy to figure out... it is said that we have 9 node, and in "final" game in the same area there would be 18-20 node. so 2 time what we have, it makes node quite close. (and the biggest will be 0,2 km² also. Metropolis will have a diameter of 0,5km.

It is also not so small. traveling from east to west of the map without sea on the way already take long time.

For "will 1200/2400/4800 people be able to zerg" the problem is not so the size of the world but also the population size, and how much is needed to avoid decay of a TX node. or if you prefer, population needed to make living enough a metropolis.

A village can have 0 guild patron
    A town can have 1 guild patron
    A city can have 2 guild patron
    A metro can have 3 guild patron

With those indication we can think it will need A LOT of people to decently populate 1 metro ZOI, and there will be 5...

and about "zerg and roaming" i don't remember where i did read it, but would need around 1h30-2h to go from north to south (can't remember where i did read it so maybe totally false) it helps to consider how fast any guild can "rush" all. (with 2 continent, so need time to make boat to go to the other one if you want to know time for a guild to clean all PvE content at least once)

To have any idea about all of it, have to wait beta 1 i think (or if steven/any dev speaks about it before)
  • Options
    MarcetMarcet Member
    I think Steven said once that the map is like 13 "Skyrims"
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It's Verra Big

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Current Alpha 1 map is indeed only 17% of the full intended Verra map. It is also a mashup of a couple of territories, and not a final continuous territory.

Guilds have a MAX of 300 members, assuming that they only put points in guild size. I highly doubt that will be a norm however, so alliances may vary in sizes a bit.

The #s mentioned (1200, etc.) is assuming that all your members are online at the time.

Controlling territory will be a large part of the game. World should be big enough to handle multiple areas, as there's supposedly going to be 5 metropolis' per server. If one guild/alliance is heavily controlling one area, there will be plenty of opportunity for a player to change their citizenship to a more friendly environment if they're not happy in the area they're in. There's also multiple servers, if one doesn't like the one they're currently on.
    tK6oEvp.png
  • Options
    SoggyBandaidSoggyBandaid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    For me I think an important aspect is not just how much territory zerg guilds can control, but how much territory grass roots guilds can't control. Map size aside, I've seen a lot of players asking about seeing node progression in alpha. I don't want to see node progression, but I believe the implication is that smaller groups are struggling to level nodes at all.

I don't know the back end node mechanics, but I think the leveling should be exponential. Even if a max 1200 alliance can't actively control all poi, it won't matter if small alliances (say 60-120) cannot actively grow a village.
  • Options
    Arthus DawnbreakerArthus Dawnbreaker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Being slightly constricted to walking and ground mounts will help make the world feel a lot bigger than it is. making flying rare helps with that. The game will expand a lot after Alpha is over and overtime I don't have any doubt the world size will be satisfying.
  • Options
    Exciting Stuff, this map will be HUGE!
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't even think the 17% is counting the under realm which has been promised to be gigantic. So maybe closer to 10%?
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    JustVine wrote: »
    I don't even think the 17% is counting the under realm which has been promised to be gigantic. So maybe closer to 10%?

here we have 70km² map with a later Steven says about alpha1 map.
    Final map will be 480km² (both including water area. and nothing known yet about %of sea area in final map) + 100km² of underrealm.

Also, wiki information are not young, things could change.
  • Options
    I watched a video from Narc, he mentioned it took him 25 minutes to sprint across the Alpha-1 map. Considering being on a mount would be faster, this is just not big enough for what can be considered a castle regions. Sieges will last hours, and this means anyone from the castle area can participate, and from surrounding nodes if they get word about this early on.

I would like for it to take 30 to 45 minutes on mount to get across the castle region, or else a zerg can definitely have impacts around the world.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2021
    Was Narc using infinite Sprint? Which is most likely only infinite for the Alpha One testing.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Was Narc using infinite Sprint? Which is most likely only infinite for the Alpha One testing.

🤷‍♂️ Can't find the video, sorry mate