Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Camera max distance is really detracting from the beauty of the game.

NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited July 2021 in General Discussion
From a game mechanical perspective I appreciate how far out we can zoom the camera. However I've found that when I am doing so, a lot of the beauty of the game is lost.

I am not advocating for reducing the max camera distance. I like the option. However, I suggest all of you currently in A1 try running around with the camera zoomed in for a while. It feels quite different, and much more visually pleasing IMO. Especially for you streamers out there, please give it a shot. I've noticed most of you are zoomed pretty far out. I've only seen one so far that really zooms in regularly and let the viewers see the beauty and the details.

Ashes is a very detailed game graphically, but at max camera distance you simply don't notice most of it. The structures, NPCs, foliage, and mobs all have a really great level of detail when you zoom in. I took a couple of screenshots from places you've all seen, but to be honest they don't really do the difference from camera zoom justice. It's something you need to try and experience for yourselves :smile:

First picture here is an area you've seen a lot of times if you are a tester or watch the streams. I bet most of you rush past that wagon without further thought to get to Sergeant Landry so you can start killing those animated armor. I usually do.
VCUEfO3.jpg

However, if you zoom the camera in, you start noticing the details. The intricate wood carvings, and you actually see the sign there with the text "The Stitch", which, if nothing else, makes you go "hmm" and wonder what that is all about.
tINPFZl.jpg

Next screenshot is from the cave with the flower quest. Zoomed all the way out it's pretty enough, sure. I'd wager most people just click E and move on, however.
0VG5Cbx.jpg

Zoomed in, you can really see how beautiful and intricate and detailed the flower actually is. There's animation there as well that you obviously don't see in the screenshot. I really appreciate that level of attention to detail. B)
q3HMlc7.jpg

Comments

• Options
    GaluxGalux Member
    I always play rather zoomed in, gives me a sense of how huge the world is and the monsters compared to my character.
    8DGfGVF.png
  • Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited July 2021
    Is it possible to just let players who enjoy the camera distance play that way, @Nerror?

Not every player has the same gameplay preferences as you … especially since the Alpha screenshots and streaming footage from a distance have been amazing so far.
  • Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nerror wrote: »
    I am not advocating reducing the max camera distance. I like the option. However, I suggest all of you currently in A1 try running around with the camera zoomed in for a while.

@Taleof2Cities

He does not say "play like i do"
    But "hey all of you, take time to enjoy the beauty of the game when you zoom in, here are some examples"
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I prefer zoomed in. I wish we could use the same angle the devs use in the demo videos.
    Hopefully, we'll get that option in Beta.
  • Options
    Arthus DawnbreakerArthus Dawnbreaker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I agree playing zoomed in gives you a different experience and shows off the graphical visual design of the models, textures, and light reflecting off shine armor. I think if anything else they should default the camera to zoomed in when you start the game an just let users know they can zoom out if you would like too.