Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Aliases is ashes

I think it would be very useful and more interesting to have an in game mechanic for aliases. Something that allows players to mask their identity and possibly even build a reputation as a mysterious persona. In a game that’s primarily going to be developed and revolves around the actual players, I can see this as something many players would love. Some guy that’s always assailants and a hired mercenary, only for it to actually be the mayor of a mode. It’ll lead for more fun and engaging experiences. I can imagine prominent figures also not wanting to be recognized while undergoing expeditions or events of the sorts. It would definitely add more depth to the game.

I’d love to hear other people’s thoughts on this.

Comments

• Options
    GaluxGalux Member
    edited July 2021
    Alright i'm off for today everyone! Goodnight..
    sneakily walks away where i cannot be seen... *status offline*

Aegu.gif
    8DGfGVF.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Pretty sure Aliases are in the design.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Some call them alts.
  • Options
    GaluxGalux Member
    tautau wrote: »
    Some call them alts.
    Sure, the game isn't very alt friendly though to my understanding. An alias per character could be fun & simpler for many. Although i'm not quite sure how many who would use it but the idea sounds fun none the less :D
    8DGfGVF.png
  • Options
    Ashes is alt-friendly.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Dygz wrote: »
    Ashes is alt-friendly.

How so?
  • Options
    This would be really cool, and particularly useful for rouges! The only problem I see is, what would the disguise be? The obvious answer would be to just change your armor, but I think having an actual equippable Disguise Cloak that goes over your armor and obscures your face would be better, it'd also be a way of letting other players KNOW you're disguised which I think would add an interesting element to it.

Plus I could finally live out the fantasy of being a mysterious cloaked stranger in a shadowy corner of the tavern lol.
  • Options
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

This would suggest that Ashes is alt-enabled, not alt-friendly.

In most games, you can use an alt to be a part of a different faction or city. In Ashes, you can't.

This one fact makes Ashes less alt-friendly than any other major MMO on the market, imo.
  • Options
    Sure but not everyone has the energy to make an entire alt just for stuff like that. I know people that would rather focus on one character or account. Even if some prefer alts, I don’t really see a reason why it’s something that shouldn’t be added. Just another thing that improves qol and makes things interesting.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I get the point, but I honestly prefer if people can't hide their actions behind aliases. Act like a jerk, get a rep for being a jerk. Act like a good person, get a rep for that.
  • Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    the idea is full of potential.

But there is 2 problem

1) how would it work ? where, and how do you activate your alias. What really it offers ? Aside from roleplay itself. I can't really see it. I really speak about technical thing

2) i fear it could be use mainly for bad behaviour. and become more a source of problem than a fun thing. Human is really genious when it comes to abuse mechanics to get any kind of profit, even really low one.
  • Options
    We'd probably get aliases from the Thieves' Guild.
    I imagine if we can change the name of a Node, we can change the name showing in our nameplates. I don't think it would be difficult to code.

Corruption should deter "bad behavior".
  • Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Corruption should deter "bad behavior".

Corruption only fight against one kind : the abusive PK

The list of bad behaviour we will see is... really really long. the games limit lot of them, but don't worry, humans are really good to find any way to be a dick.