Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Mobs Dropping Rare Items

After seeing a lot of the latest Alpha test i'm really looking forward to play the game, IT LOOKS AMAZING; but i got only 1 request wich i hope is shared with other players: please please please make the random mobs across the world have a loot table with a super rare item (different for zones, like BDO) to drop at a very low rate and make a "YUHUUU" sound from the caracther when you find it. I played a lot of BDO and that was such an enjoyable feeling to get when you were grinding and dropping rare stuff, it makes that game soooo enjoyable becouse there is always that element of suprise there that makes you want to play and explore more and more and more.
I really hope every mob grinder out there agree and support this idea!
Thanks for the attention

Comments

• Options
    ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Definitely agree, theres something special about getting an armor peice upgrade or a wepon or in those rare occasions an epic item from a mob

Looting is a massive part of immersion so I hope they dont waste it by just dropping mediocre same same items
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Almost all gear will be player made.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Crafting
    Anything that you want to bring into existence in the world is going to be built by players: Whether that is Ships, Siege engines, Weapons, Armor, etc.[10] – Jeffrey Bard

High-level materials

Materials for crafting high-level items are obtained from world bosses and through the deconstruction of other high-level items.[39]

Many end level items with crafting will require mats from world bosses etc. we want those systems intertwined. However. There may be opportunities to deconstruct high level items and replace those needed materials as well. We will be testing the crafting trees in alpha and beta.[39] – Steven Sharif

That said I am all behind rare crafting materials dropping where it makes sense. No dragons teeth from wolves type nonsense.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    godmilkgodmilk Member
    edited July 2021
    I'm all for materials and "proof of kill" trophies dropping from creatures like wolves, boars, or whatever. Getting a bow, sword or, chain vest from an animal doesn't make sense. However, I assume that the world will also have more sophisticated PvE enemies that will wield weapons and wear armor. Mobs like this should drop weapons and armor among other things.

I agree with the comments above, that finding rare equipment as you are out grinding and exploring adds something very special to the experience and fuels the desire to return to exploration. It's that instant gratification of having the final item immediately with no other action required that make it so thrilling and you'll end up having fond memories of certain zones where you were fortunate to experience it.

Also, not everybody who plays MMO's is in love with crafting/professions and some just want to be able to get out into the world, fight, and find their equipment through that avenue.
  • Options
    MelofeignMelofeign Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If there are rare whole items (armour or weapons) that drop and are of amazing quality, then the demand for crafting will go down. If finding an item that a crafter made that you want, or having a crafter make something you want from materials that you found is too difficult, you will lose the player that isn't interested in the crafting economy.

Perhaps a compromise could be limited use items? So instead of a sword of awesomeness forever, one that lasts an hour or a day. Long enough to use and enjoy, but not long enough to make crafting moot.

Another option may be to have crafting enhance the drops, so the sword of okness enhanced with crafted boom juice becomes the sword of awesomeness, but I don't think that serves the initial "yay I got something really cool" vibe that we were looking for.

So limited use (even if that is will decay and cannot be repaired) may be the best way to serve both those that love the thrill of seeing something they can use on a bad guy's corpse and those that are trying to make the best stuff so you'll actually be interested in using it.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited July 2021
    Another take on this would be for mobs to drop rare items that start quests which may result in some awesome item being crafted, or a super hidden location being discovered, maybe even a new rare crafting skill (e.g. advanced smelting). This would lean into the player economy, allow for those rare moments to feel epic & special, without focusing solely on direct drops.

I'd rather AoC help shift the reward paradigm in mmos away from "epic loots' and more toward am awesome experience or character skill.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    CROW3 wrote: »
    I'd rather AoC help shift the reward paradigm in mmos away from "epic loots' and more toward am awesome experience or character skill.

While FFXIV helped me to understand what i disliked in wow, why i had less fun, while i did quit FFXIV then WoW to discoveer GW2, i realised that a vertical evolution system can easily be bad. Getting some is nice, but getting a lot of horizontal evolution (and choice) is far better.

Avoiding a competition around "who has biggest stuff" which implies to have sometime new stuff, making old one slowly obsolete is a thing to aim in a sandbox i think (nothing having new stuff in vertical system sometime, but should be rare or special addition )

So totally in the same general idea
  • Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited July 2021
    That said I am all behind rare crafting materials dropping where it makes sense. No dragons teeth from wolves type nonsense.

Yeah well what if the wolves are Dragon Tooth Munchers who live off eating rotting dragon teeth from dragon corpses and you need the "semi-processed" dragon teeth from their bellies?

I'm sorry don't hit me.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    godmilkgodmilk Member
    edited July 2021
    Melofeign wrote: »
    If there are rare whole items (armour or weapons) that drop and are of amazing quality, then the demand for crafting will go down. If finding an item that a crafter made that you want, or having a crafter make something you want from materials that you found is too difficult, you will lose the player that isn't interested in the crafting economy.

I don't think this is necessarily true if it's done well. You can have balance between both that promotes a healthy economy. I also tend to like the idea that through crafting you can get some very focused/specific benefits that you may not be able to get through a world drop.

In my opinion, being able to get laser-focused on what stats/effects you want to get out of your equipment and then go after crafting it, is and should be the benefit to crafting versus finding a random drop that may not have the stats you are looking for but is still powerful/valuable equipment.

• Options
    GrihmGrihm Member
    But why would a random npc in the world have a " super rare " item for starters? All that does, is to water down what that item is, and what rare means, and especially what it takes to get one.

If someone want a rare item, there should be a requirement to work for it, not just " oh... that random bandit everyone kills 29 times / hour just dropped a rare ( insert random item ) ".
  • Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited July 2021
    Grihm wrote: »
    But why would a random npc in the world have a " super rare " item for starters? All that does, is to water down what that item is, and what rare means, and especially what it takes to get one.

If someone want a rare item, there should be a requirement to work for it, not just " oh... that random bandit everyone kills 29 times / hour just dropped a rare ( insert random item ) ".

Because random bandits can get lucky too. Honestly I think they should make it so that said random mobs use the rare items they are about to drop. so instead of the loot table being randomized when the mob is killed, it is randomized when they are spawned. Maybe that goblin has a wand of woes that can proc a fear effect on hit? Maybe that bandit stole a magical ring that makes it easier to deal with magical attacks.

I think if they did this the world would become much more interesting and give just one more reason to travel around searching the map for hidden "rare mobs" with such gear.

Edit: Also, killing mobs for hours to secure a rare drop is working. I don't know what you mean by saying it is not.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    What's the rare drop in Alpha One?
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    But why would a random npc in the world have a " super rare " item for starters?

Well, why would you have a super rare item?

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    GrihmGrihm Member
    Random npc´s should just drop ordinary items. A rare one should be a reward....because of the actual name of it. Rare.

Anything that is above " normal " should be limited in both how it drops, and where. Otherwise, just make the item " normal ".
  • Options
    Lore-wise it doesn't make sense for gears to drop directly from mobs though. The world of Verra's been deserted for *god knows how many centuries*, and players (and npcs) are supposedly the first batch of "people" coming back to Verra.

i.e. The mobs shouldn't have any gear (no "gear from dead adventurers" etc.) to drop in the first place... Well unless they're bandit-type humanoid mobs, or tulnars.

So, plz limit drops to materials, proof of kills etc.
    Unless it's a raid boss in a raid dungeon from before-the-time. Then may be it makes sense for it to drop relic class gears from long long long long long ago ...
  • Options
    Lore-wise it doesn't make sense for gears to drop directly from mobs though. The world of Verra's been deserted for *god knows how many centuries*, and players (and npcs) are supposedly the first batch of "people" coming back to Verra.

i.e. The mobs shouldn't have any gear (no "gear from dead adventurers" etc.) to drop in the first place... Well unless they're bandit-type humanoid mobs, or tulnars.

Unless it's a raid boss in a raid dungeon from before-the-time. Then may be it makes sense for it to drop relic class gears from long long long long long ago ...

There are still humanoids that live on the planet can scrounge up random ancient weapons and powerful relics. Hell you find random animals with all sorts of trash stuck to them in real life. Just think about sharks. Who's to say that didnt happen in this fantasy world? There are larger, longer lived and strange creatures in the world of Verra, im sure there is plenty of apocalyptical magic "trash" for them to accidentally get tangled in.

I don't really care if they decide to do full item drops or not, I just wanted to explain that its not so farfetched for you to find items on non-humanoid creatures within the world.
  • Options
    Sathrago wrote: »

There are still humanoids that live on the planet can scrounge up random ancient weapons and powerful relics. Hell you find random animals with all sorts of trash stuck to them in real life. Just think about sharks. Who's to say that didnt happen in this fantasy world? There are larger, longer lived and strange creatures in the world of Verra, im sure there is plenty of apocalyptical magic "trash" for them to accidentally get tangled in.

I don't really care if they decide to do full item drops or not, I just wanted to explain that its not so farfetched for you to find items on non-humanoid creatures within the world.

Thing is Verra supposedly only have a tiny leftover humanoid population (tulnars ...... I mean, damn tulnars, if they didn't exist then we don't even have to talk about this, damn those god-damned tulnars), and most man-made items from before-the-fall should've already degraded and perished over this long~ period of time, save for a few exceptionally high quality / enchanted ancient relics may be.
    And the remnant (damned) tulnar civilization likely did not have the production capacity to create enough junk to populate the wild mobs with full-item drops.

Unlike IRL, our ocean wildlife has all kinds of man-made trash (mostly plastic stuff and fishing nets) stuck to them coz we have a 7.5+ billion population constantly polluting this planet :/
  • Options
    BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited July 2021
    I agree with this idea. And by rare items being dropped by mobs, a rat doesn't need to drop a sword, it can rarely drop its tail undamaged which is used for some crazy shit. A dragon can have a rare drop table of its scales, fangs or whatever.

I guess the alpha version of the game has an awful loot table, but I'm sure it's gonna be improved. In MMORPGs, there's only a few things more exciting than hitting that 1 in a 1000 loot table roll from regular mobs, at least in my opinion. Reminds me of OSRS and some crazy loot like pets, mob-type specific body parts, etc.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »
    But why would a random npc in the world have a " super rare " item for starters?

Well, why would you have a super rare item?

I feel like folks with the OP's mindset are usually talking more about rare cosmetics; There's no reason a level 5 NPC should drop The Sword of A Thousand Truths.

Yours truly wouldn't mind a level 5 having something like a 1 in 1000 chance of dropping a rare cosmetic. Just something nice that has a rare chance to drop, when running through even low-level Nodes.

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Well, a respark of this discussion.

Today I fought a specific elite dragon (Nightling) and it dropped Plain Cloth Boots which are a basic level 12 item.

Normally I don't like this, but when it's predators, I just assume that they were near the remains of some unfortunate person. Maybe this Nightling couldn't stomach eating their shoes, for whatever reason.

I should wash these before I wear them...

Anyways, they're not actually at all rare, so technically this is the other side. This mob apparently drops something that otherwise would be crafted, but it's also the sort of thing that would probably be used as part of something else in a crafting line.

I have no strong opinions, but figured I'd note it since the posters at the top of this particular page seem like they'd have more to say.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    The only time this is appropriate is when Jon gives you a quest to figure out where Bob went and when you kill a predatory mob it drops ‘Bob’s boots.’
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Azherae wrote: »
    Normally I don't like this, but when it's predators, I just assume that they were near the remains of some unfortunate person. Maybe this Nightling couldn't stomach eating their shoes, for whatever reason.

Filet of sole is not for everyone.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    ClintHardwoodClintHardwood Member
    edited July 2021
    I second the need to have a chance at a potentially rare drop from common mobs, but I don't think they should be equips. For example, if I kill a wolf, and it normally drops tattered fur and chipped claws, I'd like to have a rare chance to get an overgrown claw for weapon crafting or preserved saliva for potion production. Hell, maybe even give dropped reagents a rarity system. If I get my typical tattered fur, let it have a chance to be normal, common, rare, or epic, where increased rarity makes the items it produces give better products during crafting.

There should be a chance at 'oh shit, I just made bank' even when fighting basic mobs. The potential dopamine and serotonin rush keeps even mundane grinds exciting.
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    My hope is that bosses and "rare" mobs will have a chance to drop rare items/gear/materials/weapons and that normal mobs will simply drop trophies/proof of kills and materials. Who is to say that in a world filled with weapons/armor, you can't find a sword lodged in between dragon scales or an amulet in a steaming pile of dragon shit.

I agree with @bloodprophet that the drops should make sense off each mob. Instead of 12 papers that states "Yo, I killed 12 plant monsters" that I trade, I would hope to see a specific item or body part to sell as proof of kill. Parts would be cool (wolf head, scalerunner scalp, bunny feet, etc).