Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our ongoing Alpha One testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Can I buy cosmetics from previous months?

ShinozukaShinozuka Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited 3:22AM in Support & FAQ
Is it possible when the game is done to purchase cosmetics from previous months?
«1

Comments

  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    No.
    :(
  • AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Steven said he disliked the false "limited" things in cash shop. Or you do it for a limited time and never come back, or you say "it will come back".
    And it is a good thing. i prefer permanent stuff in CS that what they did until now, but if they stay on this road, i can only applause.
  • MalapapasMalapapas Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This is a pretty bad system IMO. For players who like to do things like fashion or mount hunting they will be 3 years behind by the time the game releases (if we are lucky). These types of premium purchases should be reserved to Deluxe Edition or Special Edition type release of game, or for cash AFTER the game released, when players had a chance to determine if this game is going to be worth long-term investment.

    Stephen keeps saying he intends to fully fund the game himself and only make these purchases if you want to support the game but its hard to believe that when they started their cash shop practices while in pre-alphe, alienating a portion of their player base in the process.
  • ShinozukaShinozuka Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Thanks for the replies :)
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    Malapapas wrote: »
    Stephen keeps saying he intends to fully fund the game himself and only make these purchases if you want to support the game but its hard to believe that when they started their cash shop practices while in pre-alphe, alienating a portion of their player base in the process.

    'Early bird gets the worm.' That's like a bedrock aspect of a free market.

    If you find that 'hard to believe' and 'alienating' then - man - life must be either really rough or ridiculously easy.
    AoC+Dwarf+750.jpg
  • AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Malapapas wrote: »
    they started their cash shop practices while in pre-alphe,

    This is what is for me a problem. I had the same problem with overwatch/heart of the storm alpha/beta cash shop already be there. And will ever had the problem for any game including those months/years-long "anticipated access".

    For ashes, they want to do pack to allow people to support game ? ok, with goodies ? fine with it, it remains a "crowd funding" after all. but in such situation you do one pack, with one set of in game goodies and be it for 10 years, you stick with it.


    And having those 4 years cosmetic (or more) not avaible to the buy when game releases is not a problem...
    I also hate the collectos edition sold during 2 years... (*watch to FFXIV/WoW*). You did wait, support the game before it got released and get things the people waiting the release won't have ? I don't see the problem.

    People deep in cosmetics stuff in MMORPG can be jealous, but most of them are able to go over this, admit they "was not here soon enough" and... will enjoy what they will have. i hope the game will offer already variety of nice cosmetics stuff !
  • I'm still hoping to be able to tame a velociraptor :(
    Daveywavey-member.png
  • 2 points that might help:

    1) It's been promised that there will be other colors/VERY similar sets that you achieve in-game for ALL of the Cash Shop cosmetics.

    and

    2) I think more players would be FAR LESS DISAPPOINTED if they realized that you can only have *1* copy of the cosmetics PER ACCOUNT. I've always thought this 2nd point sucked, but I understand why they're doing it, like this. In short, if you buy a cash shop cosmetic set, only *1* of your characters can have it active, at a time; You'll need to trade it to your alts, to use it on them.

    In the meantime, Steven Sharif wants us to be able to get the "best looking" variants of the outfits from the highest-end content in-game, versus the best-looking sets coming from the Cash Shop.



  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Alpha One
    2 points that might help:

    1) It's been promised that there will be other colors/VERY similar sets that you achieve in-game for ALL of the Cash Shop cosmetics.

    and

    2) I think more players would be FAR LESS DISAPPOINTED if they realized that you can only have *1* copy of the cosmetics PER ACCOUNT. I've always thought this 2nd point sucked, but I understand why they're doing it, like this. In short, if you buy a cash shop cosmetic set, only *1* of your characters can have it active, at a time; You'll need to trade it to your alts, to use it on them.

    In the meantime, Steven Sharif wants us to be able to get the "best looking" variants of the outfits from the highest-end content in-game, versus the best-looking sets coming from the Cash Shop.




    1. This is not in fact the intention. I will link the quote after this that shows it.
    2. The quote has been about parity. Not variants, but in game cosmetics which are equal or better in quality. (subjective)
    misinfoslam.png
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • @unknownsystemerror , doesn't the quote reinforce point 1, rather than countering it?



  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    I've seen several variations of the Covid Castigator outfit.
    Seems like we will be able to attain those variations.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    Dygz wrote: »
    I've seen several variations of the Covid Castigator outfit.
    Seems like we will be able to attain those variations.

    Given that we were active and lived through that sh*t, I think we should all be granted that cosmetic as a collective community hug. ;)

    AoC+Dwarf+750.jpg
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    (I keep thinking that, too)
  • GrihmGrihm Member
    Rare items be rare... not a trophy for all.
  • ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Honestly, for privately funded mmo, they still went for a heavy FOMO with the cosmetics. Could've easily added each pack bound them to a testing phase instead of monthly. Literally many of us missed the good shit in covid and now we can't buy them cuz we got affected. Like at least if you are privately funding, don't think being even slightly greedy is OK. Easily could've made each pack released monthly in a given phase but this is obvious its just milking people even if slightly.

    People defending that is what saddens me. Enablers never good
  • KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    edited July 22
    You will be able to find better or equivalent cosmetics in game. Steven has said this ad nauseum for years.

    You may not get that exact color scheme or pattern, but part of the pledge for AoC is that cosmetics from the cashshop won't be the 'best" skins in the game.


    The game is fully funded through Steven, and every dollar they get from cosmetics packs just helps the game be done that much fuller and faster, so I've made peace with it.


    Life is about missing out on some thing you may want. I wanted to go to space with Jeff Bezos in his rocket, because I wanted to fide a giant penis into space. All my phone calls and letter went unanswered, and I was very disappointed. But such is life. Sometimes, we just miss out on things.


    I'm also at a loss how anyone with a brain can equate "company selling product = evil greed" by default. This is the dead brain take of the decade right here.

    Aq0KG2f.png
  • RavelRavel Member
    Can we get rid of the cash shop altogether?
    The verb, not the composer name.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    No.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    Look at it this way. You'll now have the opportunity to get skins that the folks joining two years from now won't get.

    I don't get the whining. This is literally how most of the economy functions. Do you call up Jeff Bezos to complain that you can't buy shares at $3.00 anymore and it's just not fair you have to pay $3,600?

    Ridiculous. :D
    AoC+Dwarf+750.jpg
  • RavelRavel Member
    Dygz wrote: »
    No.

    That is a pitty, since it interferes in game immersion negatively, especially in a rpg.
    The verb, not the composer name.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    How does a cash shop interfere with immersion?
  • RavelRavel Member
    edited July 22
    It never happens to you? I am in doubt whether I should call you lucky.
    The verb, not the composer name.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    Dygz wrote: »
    How does a cash shop interfere with immersion?

    Not the cash shop itself, but certainly the persistent marketing. I doubt Steven will go there, but BDO is constantly trying to upsell their crap right when you login. Mobile games have taken this to a phrenetic level that's almost migraine inducing. I'm hoping the cash shop's advertising is more like wow, where it exists on the Battlenet login, but nothing comes up in game.
    AoC+Dwarf+750.jpg
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    I expect the cash shop to remain outside of the game rather than be in-game.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    That would be ideal.
    AoC+Dwarf+750.jpg
  • Ravel wrote: »
    Dygz wrote: »
    No.

    That is a pitty, since it interferes in game immersion negatively, especially in a rpg.

    This won't negatively impact me, and I only found out about the game-to-be in October of 2020.

    Feels as though you're stating your personal opinion as absolute, universal fact.

    Do you have any examples as to how this will interfere with immersion? Will entire groups of RP'ers stop what they're doing and walk away to other parts of the game because a specific color/texture of an otherwise available-in-game set of armor was only sold for 1 month before the game launched?

    "OH GOD, OUR ROLEPLAY IS ***RUINED***! WHY?! WHY DID THEY ONLY OFFER THE ROYAL CORGI FOR A SINGLE MONTH?!?! STOP EVERYTHING! STOP EVERYTHING BECAUSE THE BLACK-COLORED CORVID CASTIGATOR SET ISN'T THE EXACT SAME SHADE AS THE DARK GRAY SET YOU GET IN-GAME - WE'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO IMMERSE OURSELVES FULLY IN THE WORLD PER THIS LACK OF ABILITY TO GET THIS PARTICULAR HUE OF COLOR!!!!"

    /sarcasm



  • RavelRavel Member
    Ravel wrote: »
    Dygz wrote: »
    No.

    Feels as though you're stating your personal opinion as absolute, universal fact.

    [/i]

    Not as an universal fact, but my personal opinion to be sure. Sorry, for having one.
    The verb, not the composer name.
  • AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 23
    Immersion... the more i read MMORPG forum the more hatred i have against this word...

    How to justify any request without "real" argument... ... "It ruin my immersion" ...
    "Bikini armor is not realist, it ruins my immersion" from people able to say "a scyte weapon would be so cool" forgetting that a scyte is not really a good thing for war (the "war-scythe" was with the blade in the same )


    Here the post speak about immersion because of... cash shop... if it doesnt jump on your face to say "hi, i exist, come buy" what is the link between cash shop and immersion ?

    There is many reason to be against cash shop in subscription game... (like... subscription should be enough, if it isn't just make the sub bigger... instead of adding cash shop that break equality between your paying customers... and won't list all because now, cash shop in every game even with sub, is the basis... stupid but it is like this)


    Stop about "immersion" as excuse to defend what you would prefer on the game... it is really rare when "immersion" is a real factual problem...
  • RavelRavel Member
    edited July 23
    You have a point. But still I hate it when cash shops go out of their way to break the fourth wall.
    The verb, not the composer name.
  • ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I dont care about immersion to that extent.

    What i certainly care about is the pretty extreme FOMO for cosmetic packs that are pretty much gone after that. It's a shitty thing to do from a supposedly better devs

    Phase locked? Fine, cuz it makes sense... but monthly? That's bullshit
This discussion has been closed.