Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Nodes and Questing

Arthus DawnbreakerArthus Dawnbreaker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited July 2021 in General Discussion
If nodes determine what quests you do when a node levels up or de levels doesn't that dictate what quests you unlock or are doing? What happens when a node de levels or levels up and your still doing the previous node levels quest? Are you still able to complete that node level's quest or does it lock it. Will those quest givers from the previous node level still be available if you level up with node or deliver it? Its confusing to me still how this all works. If nodes change the landscape of the world and how its played how does the play change in the middle of leveling certain quests that haven't been completed yet? Do those npc's disappear?

Comments

• DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Deleveling probably won't be a problem. Most likely the NPCs will still be around.
    Node destruction might be a problem. Those quest givers will disappear.
    But, what happens when a different race takes over the Node when it pops from Town to City? Those quest givers will disappear, too.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    Bastellon wrote: »
    What happens when a node de levels...

I don't think a node will de-level anymore. My understanding is that there were too many impacts that rippled outward.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Arthus DawnbreakerArthus Dawnbreaker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    seems like this system gets very complicated very quickly once it starts leveling. I want it to work out but but they have a lot of fixing to do before it work like its suppose too. Saw a lot of players that couldn't find NPC's and that in turn made the quest incomplete able
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Drop the quest and move on?
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • The important quests you will be doing will most likely be related to the social org or religion of the node, and those don't change drastically when node levels, I assume. Good chance that the quest you are on would be part of the quest chain and you would need to get it done anyways?

Other quests would be dungeon related probably, or be given by the mayor's choices and will be returned to some guy in the city who will still be there when it levels up.

The only time i expect to be not able to finish a quest is when the mayor decides to change something, and that quest is no longer required.
    CROW3 wrote: »
    I don't think a node will de-level anymore. My understanding is that there were too many impacts that rippled outward.
    Pretty sure there is still Node decay if you don't upkeep the Node.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    Dygz wrote: »
    Pretty sure there is still Node decay if you don't upkeep the Node.

I'm dithering since I heard this on @Jahlon's Day 3 Alpha 1 stream that nodes will not de-level, but of course I can't find the exact moment to link it. Doesn't look like this is reflected in the wiki, but I know there is some lag with the NDA lift and the wiki being updated too.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
    edited July 2021
    I think this is the latest:
    "With regards to how Nodes progress territorially and how they de-level, atrophy being the only mechanic that allows a Node to de-level as opposed to be destroyed... The atrophy design needs some significant testing. There are intrinsic problems with reducing a Node's level as opposed to removing the Node and it may be possible I'm just gonna say now that we don't actually atrophy Nodes to de-level but rather accrue atrophy points that must be replenished over time; and if not it begins to disable services and further compound the atrophy problem; at which point when it reaches a certain atrophy point then the Node would just disappear."
    --- Steven
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    Thanks, @Dygz.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Arthus DawnbreakerArthus Dawnbreaker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2021
    It will be very interesting to see how this develops an how intrepid will continue to build this node system up.