Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Better mount-up animations and auto mount-up

FairtaleFairtale Member
edited July 2021 in General Discussion
I think it would look pretty cool if, instead of spawning a mount out of thin air, the mount came running and the hero mounted up while running.

And it would be much more natural for the hero to automatically mount up after a set time of running (with rules like no damage and out of combat, of course). -> [Most in the comments seem to not like this part]

It is super annoying to always have to stop, mount up, then continue. And as a player, we all had those moments where we think "is that far enough to be worth mounting up or should I just run?". An automatic system makes much more sense, since the mount action is just an additional key-bind for nor real reason.

I also think it is more balanced: instead of just standing still for 1s and suddenly being much faster, the hero would have to actually start running, and only after some time he would mount up.

Also, replacing the current [spawn a Horse out of thin air] animation with a running mount up animation, would look more realistic and feel much better as a player. The hero calls the mount, then the mount spawns out of the line of sight and runs towards the direction the hero is running.

Similar to this: https://youtu.be/aRB0_47a3UE?t=24

The current system not only looks bad, but is trying to copy the way other MMO's did it 20 years ago, and I think it is missing the chance to inovate.

Comments

• CROW3CROW3 Member
    I disagree. Too easy to run away in a world that stresses risk for travel.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • CROW3 wrote: »
    I disagree. Too easy to run away in a world that stresses risk for travel.

1. that can be easily avoided with things like making sure the player is out of combat;
    2. the pursuer would also mount up, most times even earlier then the one running away since they arent being attacked;
  • Sometimes I like to run around on foot. I don't want to be told when to ride a mount or not. I want to decide that for myself.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think if you run long enough, it should trigger... a mounting "proc" which if after a while of running you click a mount to run you play that sprint mount animation onto your mount. It's optional but still there. It locks you in the direction so you have a small window where you lose control
  • Conrad wrote: »
    I think if you run long enough, it should trigger... a mounting "proc" which if after a while of running you click a mount to run you play that sprint mount animation onto your mount. It's optional but still there. It locks you in the direction so you have a small window where you lose control

yeah, that could be "the best of both worlds"
  • Already having a mount magically appear out of thin air and the complaint is you have to stop running to mount? Interesting.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I have my mount on my hotbar. So, I just keep running and hit 0 when I want to mount - no need to stop.
    And I just hit H when I want to dismount - and continue running.
    What does it take - 1.5 seconds to mount - if anything?
  • Already having a mount magically appear out of thin air and the complaint is you have to stop running to mount? Interesting.

As I said, the animation would look better if the mount is called, instead of magically appearing, and this is the main reason for this idea. If players don't want the automatic mount up, fine, but it still looks ridiculous to pull a horse out of your inventory. And it works pretty nicely in assassin's creed, the witcher and similar games.

Also, for role-playing, I would even like to stand NEXT to my mount sometimes.
  • If mounts are relatively cheap, and you have an economy around training and trading mounts, then I think they should be destructible objects. Hiring an NPC to accompany you around to care for the mount would be a method of some form of care and protection. When you run off from your mount, you should have to come back for it. This then gets into the need for retainers, mercenaries and camp followers, especially if you stow gear in saddle bags. Kind of a mini caravan if you will, although possibly still falling under corruption rules.

I know right now you could say AoC has this “off screen”, like your mount is protected and cared for in some extra dimension space by imaginary caretakers.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    RDR2 had the most robust mount system / relationship I've seen in a game to date. The Witcher 3 system seems fine to me, as long as it's a manual call for the mount. I personally don't want an automatic mounting system at all, ever.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    having the mount close like in BDO is nice buuut no.
    Open world PvP is far more a thing in AoC, horses won't survive for long.

and for a "auto-mount hors" never... just never... it is not even a good quality of life (i mean... one input to mount horse...) and too many reason to say "no"
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    Aerlana wrote: »
    "auto-mount hors"

Well, it's also rated T. Bwhahahahaha!

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • I'm honestly surprised by the negative reactions. Is it just the 'auto mount up' or do you guys also not want the alternative animation?
    And what about "mounting up while running" instead of stopping every time? I think that would look and feel super cool to have the hero mounting up on a running mount, no?
    Having an short animation (2 or 3 sec) of our characters mounting up would be nice really. (and not getting on horse in less time than blinking an eye)

i was against only the "auto-mount up"

but if the animation is well done, it can work in static situation and with a slight change on character side, while running (in second case, just the classic mount movement animation is enough for mount, so clearly just the character to adapt a little)
  • What about the possibility of mount theft? Rather than killing a mount, how about steal it and sell it for profit? Mount theft would trigger corruption just as though the player has killed a green. This would align the reward of easy access to fast travel versus the risk of losing your mount. Solution would be to stable the mount at the nearest node for a fee, unless freeholds provide such services, and get to your destination by foot. Rather than have the mount in your inventory, have it stabled at some physical location.
  • What about the possibility of mount theft? Rather than killing a mount, how about steal it and sell it for profit?

personally, i don't think mounts should be targetable (killed) or stolen, because it would cause a lot of griefing in-game.

However, I do like the idea of going to a Tavern and seeing some of the hero's mounts bound outside, like in an old western movie where all the horses are bound outside of the saloon. Would look pretty badass.
    Having the mount staying at a spot in game like in BDO, and so being able to "kill" it (not destroying) like in BDO would be nice, but i am not sure it would be a good idea in a game like AoC.

Many things can be good on some game and really stupid idea on others.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited July 2021
    The W3 interaction is fine:
    1. Call horse
    2. Go to horse
    3. Interact to mount horse (+animation)
    4. I'm now mounted

The only frustrating part is collision and clipping. I don't think killing mounts should be in an MMO (dismounting a player is fine). Also, things like can I spam my mount to appear? Or, once I call it and it's there, it's there, and I can't call it again until I move far enough away (this is how W3 works).
    Having the mount staying at a spot in game like in BDO, and so being able to "kill" it (not destroying) like in BDO would be nice, but i am not sure it would be a good idea in a game like AoC.

This is where the collision thing can be a beast if say a thousand players call their mounts in a metro and don't mount.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
    CROW3 wrote: »
    This is where the collision thing can be a beast if say a thousand players call their mounts in a metro and don't mount.

Oh ... yes... totally forgot we had collision XD
  • Aerlana wrote: »
    CROW3 wrote: »

Oh ... yes... totally forgot we had collision XD

oh, I also didn't think of that xD
  • RamirezRamirez Member
    edited July 2021
    If mounts are relatively cheap, and you have an economy around training and trading mounts, then I think they should be destructible objects. Hiring an NPC to accompany you around to care for the mount would be a method of some form of care and protection. When you run off from your mount, you should have to come back for it. This then gets into the need for retainers, mercenaries and camp followers, especially if you stow gear in saddle bags. Kind of a mini caravan if you will, although possibly still falling under corruption rules.

I know right now you could say AoC has this “off screen”, like your mount is protected and cared for in some extra dimension space by imaginary caretakers.

I asked this many Times but no answer, this mount system don't make sense if you don't have ways to lose your mounts like albion, imagine everyone with the mount with better abilities (no royal), everyone will use the same mount without fear of losing, and economy around mounts won t make sense because they are perm...
  • MerekMerek Member
    having the mount close like in BDO is nice buuut no.
    Open world PvP is far more a thing in AoC, horses won't survive for long.

and for a "auto-mount hors" never... just never... it is not even a good quality of life (i mean... one input to mount horse...) and too many reason to say "no"

Your mounts cannot die, so, if they took the BDO system as is, it'd be fine. If your mount dies, you just need to pull it back out of a stable. I'd prefer this far more over the "magical hotkey stable" everyone walks around with in other MMO's.
  • KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2021
    Mounting in an MMO should be a simple system.

Click a button and you mount. Get dismounted if attacked (or a chance to dismount....or an ability specifically used to dismount and owned by all players).

When you are mounted and use an ability that connects with an enemy, you should automatically dismount. If we have to click a bunch of buttons just to get on and off a horse, the game will continue to feel clunky and slow. I'll take fun (within reason) over mindless time sinks in any game I play. We cannot sacrifice fun for "wow cool, the mount appears and walks up to me just like in Witcher!".

As for mounts dying, I dislike the idea but am willing to give it a try. If the crafting system ends up being much better than it currently is, giving every path the opportunity to continue business is a good thing. Carrying a dozen mounts for 5-6 different scenarios may be something fun but also I see the drawback as being just another time sink and wasting bag space as well. As with anything in AoC there is a fine line but again, I will always side with fun that makes sense over whatever else people think dead mounts and their micromanagement would be.
    Merek wrote: »
    Your mounts cannot die, so, if they took the BDO system as is, it'd be fine. If your mount dies, you just need to pull it back out of a stable. I'd prefer this far more over the "magical hotkey stable" everyone walks around with in other MMO's.

Risky, on BDO, for most farm spot, losing mount is not such big deal. there is lot of stable close to most farming spot. Also, the way BDO works, there is no reason to lose time killing horse, there is close to no competition. Only about who can stay there to farm, but this is directly about attacking (or "duel for spot") with the character not horse.

I fear a bigger horse killing in AOC... Or the horse owned by a player "non combatant" gives a little corruption when he dies, so people won't be tempted to kill any horse they see...

BUT this the main thing, as said by Crow3 : there is collision in AoC. open world mount would fast become source of issue and abuse... take enough friends and block the way in/outside a node with horses. . . :')
  • FairtaleFairtale Member
    edited July 2021
    Khronus wrote: »
    Mounting in an MMO should be a simple system.

(...)If we have to click a bunch of buttons just to get on and off a horse, the game will continue to feel clunky and slow.

Which exactly why I would like mounting up to happen automatically. I don't like having a keybind used up just for mounting up. If I am running, I want to mount up. So why a button? And why do I have to stop running to mount up? It's a waste of time and keybinds.

And if someone doesn't like that, he could disable that in the options. But forcing everyone to have an extra key just because "sometimes I don't like to mount up" feels like imposing complexity on other players just for the sake of nitpicking.