Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Starter weapons

Hi,

So i was having a discussion in discord and the idea of starting weapons came up. I know that AoC will have weapon skills, and this got me thinking. What weapon do you start with? will it be like in ESO where early on you get access to every weapon "type" at least. Would it be possible to be able to craft a basic or level version of each weapon type at the start so you can get into your chosen play style from the beginning? i know this isn't a major issues, but having just played the New World beta test i can say it can get very annoying not to be able to equip the style you want to go for. Again its nothing major, just a small thing that can have an impact on player experience

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Looks like we start with a weapon based on our class.
    Then we can buy whatever weapons we can use for our level.
    We can also have weapons crafted for us.

There is no weapon type restriction.
    There are level restrictions.
  • Options
    I assume we would be able to get a starter weapon of whatever type we want early on in the starter zone. Worst case you just walk to a node and purchase one there.

This game doesn't have a heavily structured path, it's more of a game where you can go wherever and kinda do what you want.
  • Options
    ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I personally wish we got like an extra "section" in creator for weapons relevant to our starter class. So, fighter for example, has a 2h weapon, Dual wield and sword and board. A bonus would be a drop down to specifically pick starter weapons. So, if you pick 2h, there's a drop down for 2h Axe, mace, sword etc. Dual wield you get 2 drop downs with same options etc.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    A Fighter may prefer to use a Staff or Spellbook.
    Many of the blades for their Active skills will likely be Summoned like the Cleric's hammer, whip and spear.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    A Fighter may prefer to use a Staff or Spellbook.
    Many of the blades for their Active skills will likely be Summoned like the Cleric's hammer, whip and spear.

I'm talking about starter weapons that make sense as starter weapons, not already customising a whole class straight off
  • Options
    Any weapon makes sense as a starter weapon for any archetype.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Any weapon makes sense as a starter weapon for any archetype.

We'll, right now it does. If, at release, a staff is lvl 1 bis for a fighter, I'm quitting lol
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    LMFAO
    Gotta be touched in the head to be thinking about BiS gear for Level 1.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    McShave wrote: »
    We'll, right now it does. If, at release, a staff is lvl 1 bis for a fighter, I'm quitting lol

I’ve trained with swords and quarterstaff for years, you’d be shocked at how effective a staff can be v. a sword.

But if my ranger starts with a staff, I’m going to tie a sharp rock on the end and spear my way to my first bow. 🤣

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Any character can use any of all weapon.

Now, yes, the sword is more the "fighter" weapon, and the book the "mage" weapon. . .

A good thing would be to chose the first weapon in character creation. Because the first weapon will just be a trash. so line of 5 weapon (15 weapon) and a small text area saying "melee 1 heand physical weapon" or "range magical weapon" and all will be good. it is also way to present when the player discover the game that his character could use ANY weapon even those that don't fit in the medieval-fantastic culture.
  • Options
    I expect, just as it currently is in Alpha One, basic weapon and armor will be given to us in Character Create.
    And then we can purchase whatever weapon type(s) we want after killing a few mobs.
  • Options
    Tbh, the best solution would be to have players start with no gear, and instead ask the intro npc to gear you up as a MANDATORY EXPLORATION GEAR
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Conrad wrote: »
    Tbh, the best solution would be to have players start with no gear, and instead ask the intro npc to gear you up as a MANDATORY EXPLORATION GEAR

"Well, we're low on metal right now, but I have this very sharp stick that might be useful in you journeys through Verra. Good luck adventurer!"
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    "This gear is free. You will take what I give you or go out nekkid!!!"
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »

"Well, we're low on metal right now, but I have this very sharp stick that might be useful in you journeys through Verra. Good luck adventurer!"

A stick you might as well pick up in the forest and sharpen yourself.... yo imagine them giving you a quest to make weapons and armour made of wood :expressionless:
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    A stick you might as well pick up in the forest and sharpen yourself.... yo imagine them giving you a quest to make weapons and armour made of wood :expressionless:

I'd love that. It's like those first 5 min of a survival game when you have to immediately craft something to protect yourself. I find that level of 'taking ownership' (an apt but overused phrase) contributes to my immersion (I'm waiting to be called out on immersion again ;) ) in the moment & world.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png