Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Peasant gatherer as a main playstyle - will it be possible?

YoloRunner PLYoloRunner PL Member
edited July 2021 in General Discussion
Hi

Im a type of person who like to mine, plant, gather resources rather than wait on teamspeak half of hour for a tank or healer just to jump on some platform and die from single hit with 20 other guild members.
I know that main focus of this game will be raiding, but answer me this - will there be a way to play this game more like medieval peasant, who prefer to gather some herbs or hunt for rabbit pelts and sell them to other players.
I already read few wiki articles about professions, but im curious if u will be able to level your character or unlock certain skills in other way than just raid bosses.

I know this may look silly or dumb, but im not that young and my eyes are not that sharp as they were. Thanks!
Polish player, i played Skyforge, Eve Online and World of Tanks

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Raiding is not the main focus of Ashes.
    You could level Adventurer archetypes by questing.
    You can level Artisan professions by crafting (which includes mining).
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    @YoloRunner PL - Here's some info out there laying out the basics of gathering. Keep in mind that gathering in Ashes is going to have more risk than many other games, so it's worth reading up on to see if this is the experience you're looking to have. Hope this is helpful.

Ashes 101 | Gathering

Ashes Wiki | Gathering
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Short answer is; yes.
  • Options
    I really hope so because I don't see why anyone should be forced into combat in an open world mmo. It sounds counter intuitive to the openness aspect.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    @clone63 - it’s a dangerous world. You will be attacked in this open world.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yes you can...

It is not the good way to do, but you can.
    To minimize problem, find a guild, which could enjoy a "heavy gatherer"
  • Options
    Hopefully yes, the devs have said that low leveling crafting will still be relevant in late game, as low level crafting products will be used as ingredients in high level recipes. So there'll always be demand for all levels of gathered materials.

But you'd still need to be able to protect yourself from mobs and at least run away from gankers, as you'll drop a portion of gatherables in inventory on death.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    clone63 wrote: »
    I really hope so because I don't see why anyone should be forced into combat in an open world mmo. It sounds counter intuitive to the openness aspect.

Imagine being force to do things in a video game that you cant do inrl.
    The oppression....
  • Options
    Fast forward a few years, I want people to come back to this thread
  • Options

You're right, @George Black.

Probably better that players find out sooner than later that there isn't 100% safety out in the Ashes open world.
  • Options
    I wonder what the extent of farming will be. Can you make your entire freehold a giant farm?

We know to get higher quality gatherable resources, it will require dungeonns and raids. But if you just want to do farm stuff, like peasants did back in the day, I assume there won't be any grouped content?
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Probably better that players find out sooner than later that there isn't 100% safety out in the Ashes open world.

People like the author will be like "but so and so told me I can be only a peasant and enjoy the game. How come I can only craft lv1 designs before I am forced to do combat for:
    gold
    materials
    designs? This game sucks."
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    To each their own but being poor sucked as a kid I sure as hell don't want to do it a game on purpose.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    To each their own but being poor sucked as a kid I sure as hell don't want to do it a game on purpose.

Poor people in MMO's are the end users of commodities, not the people supplying them.

While it is absolutely possible to not make much profit crafting in most games, it is fairly easy to make a lot of money providing raw materials to crafters. If you are really smart, you will make more money doing this than you will killing things.

While it absolutely isn't safe in Ashes - at any point in the game - that isn't what the OP asked.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Actually... With farming proposed in it's current form, just plop a freehold near a node center. No one knows when you got mats on you. I proposed a solution to this here but if they don't add some form of risk here, not only can this person do something relatively safe but do so with a decent steady profit. Sure you may die occasionally but, not nearly enough to care if you come to terms with peasant life. Get a mount and this is even more likely to not be a big deal.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    Do you think these lots or appartments will be sold for peanuts?
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Sure if they farm enough of them.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options

In Archeage, peanuts were quite valuable for a while.

On the other hand, housing and land could often be picked up for free, if you had patience.