Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Mobile skills for mages and archers

Hello. I have been watching the game for a long time. And it seems to me that the game lacks mobility. The game has a lot of spells and abilities that force you to stand still until the character utters it in its entirety. In the case of monsters, this is not so critical. When I watched the Sheriff's PvP, when he played as a mage, I saw him constantly being killed by melee fighters. As soon as the enemy approaches him point blank, the magician or archer is at risk. He has no way to move away. One teleport will not save him, because such fighters also have jerks, jumps, gravity, hooks and much more. This is not fair to magicians.

Idea: mobile spells needed. When the magician deals damage at the same time AND !!! immediately jumps to the side. When he does damage + teleport. Damage + dash. Damage + tackle. There are not many such spells required. But they are definitely needed.

Look at the BDO. There are reference battles. I like BDO, but I don't play anymore. But I can't deny that the fighting in that game is good. Archers and mages have this mechanic. They can jump back and deal damage at the right moment. This ensures their survival in pvp. How else? After all, not always playing as a magician, you will go with friends. You can be attacked by other players when you are alone. What if you are alone? You are forced to cast a spell on the spot at one enemy when the other two attack you. There is simply no chance. It doesn't have to be that way.

I don't like magicians in MMORPGs. I like assassins, also archers. Most likely I'm playing this game, I will also choose the assassin class. I'm not trying to make the mage class stronger because I want to play them. I consider them weaker than melee fighters when I see these fights.

I understand that now there is an alpha, which is not testing the balance of the game and characters, but other more complex mechanics. This idea is for the future when it comes time to balance the game. Thank you for your attention.

Original text
Здравствуйте. Я долго наблюдаю за игрой. И мне кажется, что в игре не хватает мобильности. В игре очень много заклинаний и способностей, которые вынуждают тебя стоять на месте, пока персонаж не произнесет его целиком. В случае с монстрами это не так критично. Но когда я наблюдал за ПВП Шерифа, когда он играл магом, я видел как его постоянно убивают бойцы ближнего боя. Как только противник подходит к нему в упор, маг или лучник находится в зоне риска. У него нет возможности отойти. Один телепорт его не спасет, потому что у таких бойцов тоже есть рывки, прыжки, притяжение, крюки и много другое. Это не честно по отношению к магам.

Идея: нужны мобильные заклинания. Когда маг одновременно наносит урон И !!! тут же отпрыгивает в сторону. Когда он наносит урон + телепорт. Урон + рывок. Урон + подкат. Таких заклинаний много не требуется. Но они точно нужны.

Посмотрите на БДО. Там эталонные бои. Мне нравится БДО, но я уже не играю. Но я не могу отрицать, что бои в той игре хороши. У лучников и магов есть такая механика. Они могут отпрыгнуть и нанести урон в нужный момент. За счет этого обеспечивается их выживание в пвп. А как иначе? Ведь не всегда играя за мага ты будешь ходить с друзьями. На тебя могут напасть другие игроки, когда ты один. А что делать если ты один? Ты вынужден читать заклинание на месте в одного противника, когда другие два на тебя нападают. Просто нет шансов. Так быть не должно.

Я не люблю магов в ММОРПГ. Мне нравятся убийцы, еще лучники. Скорее всего играю в этой игре, я тоже выберу класс убийц. Я не пытаюсь сделать класс магов сильнее, потому что хочу играть на них. Я считаю их слабее бойцов ближнего боя, когда вижу эти бои.

Я понимаю, что сейчас идет альфа, на которой тестируют не баланс игры и персонажей, а другие более сложные механики. Эта идея на будущее, когда придет время баланса игры. Спасибо за внимание.

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Mage is a glass cannon, so we should expect them to do poorly against a Tank.
    Also, Ashes PvP is not balanced 1v1. Rather it is balanced for 8v8.

For PvP, a Mage might want to have points in Passive skills, like Maximum Health, Health Regeneration and Damage Mitigation.

My Cleric is able to cast attacks like Judgement while moving.
    I don't stand still for long while casting Castigation and Divine Censure.
  • Options
    I think there is a lot of movement already for the mage class. They have the dodge roll as well as the teleport. The mage can also cast fireball while moving, so not all spell casts make you stop moving.

You say that you like the combat in BDO, and that is a good opinion. However, I prefer the combat in WoW where the players jump around much less. So we have a difference of opinions.
  • Options
    ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    I'm actually in the camp where it should be the choice of a mage or archer. Sure, you can invest heavily into mobility. But this will, most likely come at the cost of picking certain high damage abilities.

For example, I have always favoured a "control" type playstyle. Cast some abilities from a distance, then blink/teleport away. And rather than going for top damage, I'd try and go for crowd control. Slows, roots, sometimes even mini stuns.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• Options
    FairtaleFairtale Member
    edited July 2021
    Totally agree. The old "stand still and cast" should only be for special abilities like casting an AOE spell on an area or casting a high-damage spell.

Having mages stand still for 80% of the time feels like a WoW copy instead of an innovation.

Nice to see an idea that embraces change, too many players expecting AoC to be the new everquest.
  • Options
    BIGDENBIGDEN Member
    ariatras wrote: »
    I'm actually in the camp where it should be the choice of a mage or archer. Sure, you can invest heavily into mobility. But this will, most likely come at the cost of picking certain high damage abilities.

For example, I have always favoured a "control" type playstyle. Cast some abilities from a distance, then blink/teleport away. And rather than going for top damage, I'd try and go for crowd control. Slows, roots, sometimes even mini stuns.

Spells with control should be expensive, their use should not be easy, and such spells should not exceed the norm. In addition, the enemy should be able to get out of the chain of control. If he dodged and was able to approach, then the magician is forced to run away. As a result, while the magician runs away, he does not cause damage, and mobile classes continue to remove his health.
    Заклинания с контролем должны стоить дорого, их использование не должны быть простым, и таких заклинаний не должно превышать норму. К тому же у противника должна быть возможность выйти из цепочки контроля. Если он увернулся и смог подойти, то маг вынужден убегать. В итоге пока маг убегает, он не наносит урон, а мобильные классы продолжают снимать его здоровье.
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    OP,
    The mage can move while using most of the spells in the game. The exceptions are the high damage channeled spells that are intended to root as part of the risk vs. reward that must be managed.

Personally, I feel that the ability move while casting is fine. The problem that the mage will have with the way movement is now, is running while fighting. The mage has to be facing the target too directly while casting making the mage unable to run while casting.

The mage needs to be able to shoot at an angle that is closer to directly backward in order to be able to kite for a long period of time. Under the current system, using movement to kite will only evade the melee enemies for short time (in fact, walking away to kite will probably do nothing most of the time due to charge skills). So, the mage will have to rely on dodge, blink, and any other class skill to slightly keep melee away while rapidly DPS'ing them down under the current system.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Can't Charge if you are Snared or Rooted. Typically, Mages use Frost to help with that.
    But, we only have a small portion of the Mage abilities at the moment.
    Seems like Mages should only need to kite for a short period since they have high DPS.
  • Options
    Многие классы имеют высокий дпс и контроль. Это не отменяет того факта, что маги вынуждены бегать от врагов.