Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

The issue with over the top effects

So i have been playing wow, and i feel that all these over the top effects, especialy in dungeons and raids, just makes the game so much harder, as you can't see what is going on. I didn't use to have this many issues in mmo's. I remember back when i played swtor, i don't recall it being this bad. It reached the point where i felt like i had to get an addon to be able to do certain things. And it looks like Ashes is doing the same level of effects. I know we will be able to tone it down. But will people want to do it, if they have the option of having nice effects!
But i'm curious of what other people think of this and their experince with it.

Comments

• Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited July 2021
    This is Alpha-1, @insomnia, and Steven has mentioned many times the current effects are a placeholder only.

Maybe towards Beta it will be a worthwhile discussion to have (if there’s no noticeable change by then).
  • KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @insomnia When I first played Alpha 1 I immediately took to the forums to complain about the visual effects. To my amazement, this was changed within a couple of weeks and the effects were toned down. The starting sword for tank was giving off an extremely bright and explosive visual effect that covered the whole screen when there were 4-5 tanks together. It was bad.

As you get new weapons, they have their own effects and combat styles. The halberd has a cool double hit, then a swirl attack followed by another hit. It's fun and entertaining and visually it is crisp AF.

Get on board the "let all players enjoy freedom of movement during combat" train with me. It's a much more pressing matter that needs to be addressed imo. Forcing melee characters to move forward during combat is really clunky and feels awful.
  • This is Alpha-1, @insomnia, and Steven has mentioned many times the current effects are a placeholder only.

Maybe towards Beta it will be a worthwhile discussion to have (if there’s no noticeable change by then).

I know it's alpha-1. I must have missed the part about it being a placeholder. I only remembered the part about him saying it can be toned down
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    They aren't placeholder.
    They may possibly be toned down based on feedback.
  • MerekMerek Member
    I haven't seen a single class showcase that actually looked good and the effects really do look like store-bought assets. But again, Alpha blah blah. We'll see how it looks in a year.
  • Dygz wrote: »
    They aren't placeholder.
    They may possibly be toned down based on feedback.

Placeholder or no placeholder it's still too early for a worthwhile discussion.
  • insomnia wrote: »
    over the top effects, especialy in dungeons and raids, just makes the game so much harder, as you can't see what is going on.

super agree! not only does it make things hard to see, it makes things boring.

If I play a mage, I want the whole raid to see when I cast an over-the-top super spell. But if everyone is doing that 100 times per minute, it all just looks like spam.

Less over-the-top casting, spells, and abilities (for melee). Make it so that "normal" casting/abilities does not take up so much attention, and make sure that special attack (that can not be used so often) catch the attention of the group and make everyone say "ohhhhh fuck did you see that? in his face madafaka!"
  • IMHO it's quite difficult to balance combat effects simply because it's subjective. I dislike it, but I'm sure some people enjoy it a lot.

A way to fix this issue might be to let people customize their settings to show less effects, while still being able to tell which abilities are being used. Not sure if it's viable, though.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • BaSkA13 wrote: »
    ...customize their settings to show less effects...
    that doesn't solve the issue that players can't differentiate special attacks from normal attacks.

When a mage does a huge crit, the effect should be big, so the team sees that he did something big.
    But over-the-top effects on EVERY ATTACK makes every attack feel the same and lose it's impact and importance.
  • mr n0body wrote: »
    BaSkA13 wrote: »
    ...customize their settings to show less effects...
    that doesn't solve the issue that players can't differentiate special attacks from normal attacks.

You probably forgot this part:
    A way to fix this issue might be to let people customize their settings to show less effects, while still being able to tell which abilities are being used. Not sure if it's viable, though.

🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • FairtaleFairtale Member
    edited July 2021
    how does that help differentiate a critical hit from a normal hit? :|
  • But there also isn't a reason for them to work on Big effects, if people don't want it.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2021
    Placeholder or no placeholder it's still too early for a worthwhile discussion.
    It's not too early since the devs will be toning down sfx rather than increasing them.
    And, their decision to do so will be based on whether players say they like them or hate them.
    The comments here will be sent to the artists to help the devs decide if they want to tone them down.
    These devs love a lot of sfx. So, those aren't "placeholder", rather they are indicative of what the devs like.
    If people don't say they don't like them, the devs won't tone them down.