Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Familiarity System

Something i would like to see in an MMORPG Crafting system was something that let the crafter customize ther creation. Maybe like, besides the Exp they gain in creatin an iten in their respectitive fild, they could gainn Exp that is Aplicable to a category of itens, that as it goes up you unlock diferents designs for the crafted iten.
Like, you craft a spear and gain 20 Smithing Exp and 10 Familiarity(Spear) Exp, with an certain amount of Familiarity(Spear) Exp you unlock a new design, it does not changes the status of the weapon or the materias needed, the change is puraly cosmetical, but it gives a fresh air to the game, because the player could chouse different weapon without having to worry about stats.
You could even put requirements to the designs like a more refined one would need a certain level of smelting, woodworking or leatherworking, theres a lot of possibilities.

Comments

• DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't know why there would be a thing called Familiarity.
    What you describe sound like basic Artisan progression - as you level, you gain access to to new recipes.
    And, sure, Crafters will be able to customize their products.
  • This sounds similar to ESO's crafting where you can craft a specific race's version of an item. I would love this in Ashes, however there are no different racial versions of items. When you put on an item, it will look like your race's item, and of another race pits on the same item it will look like their race's item. This is too bad, as I would love to mix and match styles on different races.

As for crafting different looking items, it will probably be based on what level of item you craft. A level 10 spear is not going to look good as a level 50 spear.
  • My thought wore more like that by leveling up the profession level(Smithing, WoodWorking, etc..) you would only unlock better material to work with, but to make better designs you would need to craft the same type of itens
    Imagine, even though a blacksmith understand how to work if better materials it doesn't mean that they can make a perfect sword if they don't have practice.
  • McShaveMcShave Member
    edited July 2021
    Oh yes, like a proficiency type system? For example, if you make 100 iron swords, you have a better chance of making a higher quality iron sword? Makes me think of Albion Online, and I would really like to see a system like that in this game.

There are arguments for 2 types of systems though. A "tall" system or a "wide" system. A tall system would be like what I mentioned, make a lot of a specific item to make a really good item. A wide system would be like in GW2, where you have to combine many different materials in different ways to learn how to make new things. I prefer a tall system to my professions, but people can find the grind boring 🤷‍♂️.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    @McShave - I like where you're going... using your words is there a reason why we couldn't have both a 'tall' and 'wide' professional tree?
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • It would be fun, no one said that their is only one way to make something, their being varius paths for the artisan to take make more fun.
  • From what I understand, Ashes is taking a middle path between tall and wide systems. It is known that they are going to be heavily influenced by Star Wars Galaxies, which I have not played so I don't know exactly what the plan is.

From what I know, crafted items in Ashes will be built from many different components, and each component type will have many different varieties, providing different stats that you would want.

So you could go "wide", as to craft a same item many different ways. Not sure how you could go "tall", exactly. Maybe it doesn't matter what components you use, crafting 100 iron swords with any components will let you craft a higher quality iron sword. Or maybe if you use a component that gives +magic damage in 100 crafted items means that next time you use that component, it gives a bit more magic damage?

Again, I haven't played SWG, so maybe there is a solution there that I don't know about.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    McShave wrote: »
    Again, I haven't played SWG, so maybe there is a solution there that I don't know about.
    I did but that was like...17 / 18 years ago so I don't remember much.

The horizontal system that I've always geeked out on is the ESO / ESCRPG alchemy skill. I love experimenting with the different combinations of reagents, knowing that there is a certain consistency to what effects each reagent brings into the solution. It also made the gathering grind more interesting since I knew what herbs correlated with what buffs or poisons I wanted to make.

If that were blended with the herbalism system from RDR2, it would be a winning combination or challenge and thoughtfulness.

For blacksmithing, V:SoH (despite the game failing to take off) had an awesome system of minigames to help break up the grind of vertical skill.

Obviously, I want AOC to have a greater whole, rather than just cobble together the sum of other games' parts, but some of these experiences were defining for my crafting experience.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png