Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

XP-loss on gank?

New to AoC. Quick question, as I'm baffled by the wiki. There seems to be xp-loss on death from being ganked. Am I understanding that correctly?

Is there any other MMO who has that? My games with consensual or unconsensual PvP mostly are/were UO, Shadowbane and ESO.

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2021
    Normal death penalty for getting ganged.
    The ganker gains Corruption.
    There is no xp loss. Normal death penalty includes xp debt.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    To add to that, you won't get xp debt in the thematic PvP, like sieges or caravan pvp, where you actively sign up for it. It's really only the more random open world PvP that carries that extra risk. So yeah, gotta watch your back out there. Don't solo grind for hours and fill up on loot and expect not to get jumped and lose a bunch of it.
  • Options
    You get less XP debt if you fight back when getting ganked. You can choose to not fight back, and the enemy will gain corruption. Corruption is bad.
  • Options
    Thank you for the explanations.

I'm gonna loose a gank. I've accepted that I'm not a good PvPer, although I like to play MORPGs that allow non-consensual PvP. I can live with being ganked, if I'm not overly penalized nor shamed. In UO, for example, I'd say I'm a carebear, but I still play on a felluca- freeshard.

I also hate exp-loss on death, even exp-loss from PvE. It makes me play too defensively (I disliked EQ for it, and it's the main reason why I just stopped playing PoE).

I think I will take exp-loss on gank also more personal than loot-loss (UO, Shadowbane). Although I never played a game that dared to impose exp-loss in PvP.

And finally, 22 years of gaming experience says that devs are always less creative with their systems than players are with circumventing said systems. Corruption or not, there will be gankers.

Looks like AoC ain't for me. Good luck.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited August 2021
    Macunzo wrote: »
    New to AoC. Quick question, as I'm baffled by the wiki. There seems to be xp-loss on death from being ganked. Am I understanding that correctly?

Is there any other MMO who has that? My games with consensual or unconsensual PvP mostly are/were UO, Shadowbane and ESO.

Yes many good mmos had that.
    Your game were safety bubbles.
    Open world mmos arent safe.

Many mmos had xp loss/debt upon death (gang included) and they were GREAT games.
    Welcome to something new. Dont judge until you experience it.

But then again... bb
  • Options
    Thank you for the explanations.

I'm gonna loose a gank. I've accepted that I'm not a good PvPer, although I like to play MORPGs that allow non-consensual PvP. I can live with being ganked, if I'm not overly penalized nor shamed. In UO, for example, I'd say I'm a carebear, but I still play on a felluca- freeshard.

I also hate exp-loss on death, even exp-loss from PvE. It makes me play too defensively (I disliked EQ for it, and it's the main reason why I just stopped playing PoE).

I think I will take exp-loss on gank also more personal than loot-loss (UO, Shadowbane). Although I never played a game that dared to impose exp-loss in PvP.

And finally, 22 years of gaming experience says that devs are always less creative with their systems than players are with circumventing said systems. Corruption or not, there will be gankers.

Keep in mind friend, it is XP debt and not loss. Theoretically, if I understand the way that would work, is you would just have to make up a certain amount of experience before regaining normal experience. It wouldn't mean they could wipe your current progress.

Correct me if I am wrong!
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    This may well be the case, and in which case you get some credit for not just coming in trying to get the game changed to better suit you, as many others have done.

However, this may not necessarily be the case.

Sure, you gain experience debt if you are killed in PvP, but if you don't fight back, your attacker gains an even bigger penalty. While people may well come up with a way around it, chances are that the way most people find to get around it is to stop attacking you if you are not fighting back.

If the rest of the game does appeal to you, it would be a shame if you didn't spend $15 for a month (when released) to at least try and see if the game is not for you, rather than assuming that to be the case.
  • Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited October 2022
    The idea of Corruption is strange to me, because who said that the gank isn't the right thing to do for creating a better world?

Gankers are healers of any game's economy, all those bot farms, afk players, macroers, script runners, they will all be shoving all their stuff in the market over and over and only the gankers can fix this.

How about changing the name from Corruption to Heroism?
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    edited October 2022
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    Gankers are healers of any game's economy, all those bot farms, afk players, macroers, script runners, they will all be shoving all their stuff in the market over and over and only the gankers can fix this.
    If you operate in your node and have just PKed a bot, but you have a good reputation overall, I'd assume other people would at the very least not attack you immediately and let you grind off your corruption. And if your group of friends (or you yourself) is a well-known band of bot eradicators - you will be hailed as heroes by people. But encouraging PKing be changing its nomenclature is a bad idea.

You can use rat poison to help people with pests, but as soon as you use that poison on a human - you'll be called a murderer.
  • Options

there are other games with exp lost on death and it becomes irrelevant once you are max level..which doesnt take that long
  • Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if xp debt was removed in some instances, it is alpha doesn't mean things are set in stone until they are tested.
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    there are other games with exp lost on death and it becomes irrelevant once you are max level..which doesnt take that long
    Btw, just to point it out, this was a necroposted thread and the OP's last activity was in august of last year :) Don't you love a necropost
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    Depraved wrote: »
    Btw, just to point it out, this was a necroposted thread and the OP's last activity was in august of last year :) Don't you love a necropost

lmao i just saw this on the first page T__T
  • Options
    I thought this was new lmao.
  • Options
    What if the devs are actually necro posting threads to get other discussions going
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    What if the devs are actually necro posting threads to get other discussions going
    b48a2qb0w3re.png