Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

System / Feature Recommendations for Ashes of Creation

AruganArugan Member, Alpha One
Hi Ashes team and community,

Thank you again Ashes for pushing forward and providing hope to the MMO genre. I personally see the hard work and the feedback from the Ashes team.

I have a few recommendations on some systems for improvement if not so in the works already: From playing Ashes Alpha and New World Beta.

(Note: no point in reinventing the wheel. If a system is working or another game has a good system use the idea and improve upon it. )

1. PVP scaling, what I mean is that a level 10 can still have fun and enjoy open-world PVP and content without getting one shot from a level 50. New World seems to be testing this but it's not even close to where it should be.

How I envision this scaling and why I recommend it. For example, I am a level 20 and want to enjoy the PVP content of the game. My friends whoever are let's say 40+. I want to join them on PVP content. With proper scaling, I want to feel as if I am actually participating in the fight. I don't want to join the PVP and be useless and getting one-shot or doing no damage. I feel proper scaling and balancing. Will give a chance for all players to be engaged in all levels not just end game.
Example:
- level 20 skills player = 50 not so skilled player
- level 20 skilled player < 50 skilled players ( medium advantage)
- level 20 not so skilled player < 50 not so skilled player ( low advantage)

This will give a skilled player a fighting chance.

2. Skill tree for weapons, after playing the new world beta. I like the idea a lot of having separate experience for your weapon skill tree. You get rewarded for the time spent using that weapon. This will also give more character customization.

If Ashes has:
- Class Skill trees
- Augments
- Passives
- Weapon skill tree

This will give such huge customization and variety. Almost no two characters being the same. Giving a player the uniqueness and feel like they have made the class for them that no one else tried. (Downside Balancing might be hell, sorry :(. but I am sure the Ashes team can put the time to balance the classes)

3. Crafting and Storage, to be frank, the new world's crafting system is fantastic. I love the idea that crafting pulls from your storage and inventory. Makes it so much easier and crafting less feeling of a painful task. Having crafting experience and the compass to locate material is fantastic!

The downside which ashes can improve on is the usefulness of the gear. For example, the Gear should eventually break and you need to craft a new set. Or can be dropped/looted. This will make the end game ongoing. So you just don't have the best in slot and that's in crafting is useless as the new world has it right now.

Also having others help with your crafting without just trading and hoping they won't run away with your gear. Like going to a player's armory and giving them your resources and they have to make the chest piece. Or adding a gem to your weapon going to a player's jeweler shop and they have to insert the gem. Almost like going to the shop looking for the item they can craft and inputting the resources and money and then come back and check if the weapon is made or are the resources are still in the shop and you can pull out if no progress is made.

I hope this finds the intrepid/ Ashes team.

Note: This is just my recommendation and ideas after playing past MMOs and currently playing Ashes Alpha and new world beta.

Thanks again for all the hard work! Keep it up!

Comments

• Options
    insomniainsomnia Member
    edited July 2021
    weapons already have their on skill tree. Gear will need to be fixed. It might actualy break. But I can't really remember how it works. It seems like you should look more into the game.
    some things just haven't been put in the game yet
  • Options
    AruganArugan Member, Alpha One
    @insomnia When I played one week ago I didn't see a weapon skill tree. Only the augment/passive and your normal class/spell skill tree. But I do recall a grayed-out area for weapon skill tree or something.

I believe they said weapons will break but I was not 100% sure.

Oh trust me I have been looking into the game, every live stream and development update, and playing every testing. However, some things I might miss or forget so it could be a redundant request.

I also know it's just alpha so a lot still needs to be added in. As they said not even close to the finished product. However, just as I mentioned earlier in my post these are "recommendations on some systems for improvement, if not being worked on already". So it could be redundant.

After watching other reviews involving New world and Ashes involving gathering. I would even recommend Ashes adopting the new world's gathering as well.
    5. Gathering, should be very similar to new world.
    - Unquie Biome-gatherable
    - Everything can be a gatherable
    - Tier scarcity( higher the tier the rarer it is)

Basically what this YouTuber said https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxzeV2AbLMI&amp;t=303s
    Xillin "3 Lessons Ashes of Creation Can Learn From New World"
  • Options
    insomniainsomnia Member
    edited July 2021
    Arugan wrote: »
    @insomnia When I played one week ago I didn't see a weapon skill tree. Only the augment/passive and your normal class/spell skill tree. But I do recall a grayed-out area for weapon skill tree or something.

I believe they said weapons will break but I was not 100% sure.

Oh trust me I have been looking into the game, every live stream and development update, and playing every testing. However, some things I might miss or forget so it could be a redundant request.

I also know it's just alpha so a lot still needs to be added in. As they said not even close to the finished product. However, just as I mentioned earlier in my post these are "recommendations on some systems for improvement, if not being worked on already". So it could be redundant.

After watching other reviews involving New world and Ashes involving gathering. I would even recommend Ashes adopting the new world's gathering as well.
    5. Gathering, should be very similar to new world.
    - Unquie Biome-gatherable
    - Everything can be a gatherable
    - Tier scarcity( higher the tier the rarer it is)

Basically what this YouTuber said https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxzeV2AbLMI&amp;t=303s
    Xillin "3 Lessons Ashes of Creation Can Learn From New World"

There is a video on facebook. I was uploaded 29. Juli. In the box that says weapon, it say's "work in progress".

Item's might not break completely. But they will require materials:
    Repairing items
    Item repair will cost crafting materials.

0% durability will unequip items, increasing its repair cost.
    Damaged gear can be reforged at a player stall using a portion of the materials that were necessary to craft the item.
    There may be additional constraints for repairing "very unique items", such as having a crafter and recipe to effectuate repairs. This is subject to testing.
    There is no limit to the number of times an item can be repaired.
    For example: if you have an iron sword and then the sword gets damaged from use, you have to use more iron to repair it; and what that does is... make sure that there's significant sinks in the game for base materials so that you are creating a scarcity and demand that's present on the creation of higher goods as well as supplying the necessary decay components for the world. – Steven Sharif

There will be ways to repair destructible structures (such as walls and gates) and also repair (or re-craft) siege weapons that were damaged during sieges.

This is a long term design goal that will not be present during Alpha-1.
    There's a lot of ancillary activities that can be had during sieges... It's obviously strategy and tactics and you know raid-versus-raid components, but also you want to have individual contributions where players can do things during the siege to aid in the greater effort so to speak; and it doesn't require you having 50 people by your side to effectuate that influence over something. So repairs are great ways to do that. Repairs for walls, repairs for gates, being able to spawn and essentially craft the designs for specific types of siege weapons to provide those to the team.– Steven Sharif
  • Options
    RamirezRamirez Member
    edited July 2021
    No scaling for open world pvp, that remove all the present mmorpg features from equation and the sense of progression, that system already have many flaws in new world, like gear being pointless, only good stats for pvp is constitution , that can work in new world because open world there is pointless but in AOC matter

And in aoc would be much worst like 2 or 3 lvl 25 ganking lvl 60 risking low level gear, that would make everyone staying low lvl ganking high lvl player without any risk

But yes they gathering is good nothing innovative is something like albion , crafting is good to but pointless after a month since NW suffer of no item sinks because they need cater to casuals...
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    insomnia wrote: »
    weapons already have their on skill tree. Gear will need to be fixed. It might actualy break. But I can't really remember how it works. It seems like you should look more into the game.
    some things just haven't been put in the game yet

IIRC it may be something along the lines of every time you repair it, the durability gets lower.
    TBH, I think there should be margins in % of durability that potentially affect stats if they are going on the gear.

This would cause players to craft more to maintain higher quality armour with the ability to disassemble their gear to reuse in other crafting things as well.

IE:

if gear is >75% it maintains 100% of stats
    if gear is 50-75% it has like 75% of stats (maybe more, could be like 80% or 90%)

Just a quick example not saying it has to be like exactly like this.

Another factor to consider would be the rate of durability loss to balance fun gameplay out.

>75% = 100%
    >50-75 = 90
    25-50 = 80
    <25 = 70

or they could do it in fifths opposed to quarters.
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    PvP scaling is cancer. Corruption will give the game a good balance. You want to gank some low lvl players? My guild will hunt you down and take your gear. I want gear to have actual purpose in the game and not be diminished because some lvl 5 wants to try and outplay me. That level 5 player should be playing the game, helping his/her node and watching out for gankers.
  • Options
    BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited July 2021
    Arugan wrote: »
    PVP scaling, what I mean is that a level 10 can still have fun and enjoy open-world PVP and content without getting one shot from a level 50. New World seems to be testing this but it's not even close to where it should be.

How I envision this scaling and why I recommend it. For example, I am a level 20 and want to enjoy the PVP content of the game. My friends whoever are let's say 40+. I want to join them on PVP content. With proper scaling, I want to feel as if I am actually participating in the fight. I don't want to join the PVP and be useless and getting one-shot or doing no damage. I feel proper scaling and balancing. Will give a chance for all players to be engaged in all levels not just end game.

Example:
    - level 20 skills player = 50 not so skilled player
    - level 20 skilled player < 50 skilled players ( medium advantage)
    - level 20 not so skilled player < 50 not so skilled player ( low advantage)

This will give a skilled player a fighting chance.

Scaling PvP or PvE is, simply put, a way to cater to casual players. It's also unfair, since people who put in the time must be rewarded by being (a lot) stronger than those who don't (or can't). Not to mention that it could and would be abused by PKers in a game such as Ashes.

That doesn't mean character level should be the only meaningful stat and that a lower level character isn't able to PvP (or PvE) higher level enemies, but then the word "scaling" would be incorrect.

It's still early to tell how much the character level will affect PvP, since you'll unlock more stats (?), new skills, new gear, etc depending on your level. There's also class counters, meta classes, etc. In any case, generally speaking, I hope that a low level character in combat means:
    • 20+ level gap they will be irrelevant;
    • 15~20 level gap they will be ineffective;
    • 10~15 level gap they will be perceptible;
    • 5~10 level gap they will be able to make a difference;
    • 0~5 level gap they will be on the same level.

Any sort of artificial combat scaling is trash, and I hope Steven also believes that.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2021
    Scaling has always been a bad idea. I have always hated it in what ever game I play that has it. A level 50 player should never be challenged by a level 5 anything. I didn't work my butt off to be challenged by a day 1 rat.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Leveling#Level_scaling

Level scaling

Levels, stats, or skills will not be scaled to allow low level players to participate in encounters with higher level players.[29][23]

Edit.

#2 is already a thing and in the works.

#3 All storage will be local and not tied to anything else.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Storage

Steven also touched on this in yesterdays Q&A.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.