Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Dual Wield weapon attacks

George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
edited July 2021 in General Discussion
Will the animations be the same for a character holding swords and a character holding axes or hammers?

Would you like to see a dinstinction between them. Is it too much to ask from the Devs, or is it an important detail?

What would be a game in which you saw good dual wielding?
I'd say Dark Souls 3.

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2021
    I would expect the animations for Swords, Axes and Hammers to be different.
    Too much to ask depends on what's currently in the design and feature creep affecting the release schedule.
  • Options
    ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Considering how different the 3 weapons are I would hope that the different weapon animations would play to the weapons' strengths:

Maces and Axes probably would have same animations as you mostly do swinging, but perhaps maces would have slower animations, maybe more oomph behind them.

Swords: obviously a mix of slashing and stabbing. Auto attacks would be slashing but the abilities would starting mixing in the stabs. Something like Riposte from Dragon Age Origins.

The key thing with the dual wield animations is not to make them animesque. There are a few games that do the animations well while others just go overboard so it's important to get the right balance of slight fantasy and mostly realism.

As for combining weapon types. Not sure, it's up to devs to decide
  • Options
    Ashes has snorses, so I doubt light fantasy with mostly realism is what the devs are shooting for.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Design of 'the offhand weapon attack' is a necessity.

Designing three or four of those is probably about the same.

So, 'mainhand sword swing' + 'offhand sword swing' would probably be really well synchronized, and knowing their skill so far, the others would probably only look slightly less perfect, if that.

If you mean 'attacking with the weapons in both hands at literally the same time'...
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Ashes has snorses, so I doubt light fantasy with mostly realism is what the devs are shooting for.

Yes but that doesn't mean they should go for trashy animesque or overboard animations. It's not appealing and usually visually borefest. More realistic animations usually have bigger oomph behind them
  • Options
    We know that these devs prefer "overboard" animations and sfx.
  • Options

Hence they need a feedback to adjust
  • Options
    :D
  • Options
    CriminalCupcakeCriminalCupcake Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Conrad wrote: »

Hence they need a feedback to adjust

I entirely disagree. I play fantasy games to play fantasy games. Not looking for realism when people can use magic and breed mystical beats to ride as a mount.
  • Options
    DizzDizz Member
    edited August 2021
    I like Rakuyo and Blade of Mercy in Bloodborne, dual blade in Monster Hunter Rise, dual wield dagger and katana and axes in Dark Soul, mace on idea or share same move with axe.

plus: Agni & Rudra in Devil May Cry 3, 2 small sword and small sword + large sword in Nier: Automata.
    A casual follower from TW.

↓Good youtube channel to learn things about creating games.↓
    Masahiro Sakurai on Creating Games:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv1DvRY5PyHHt3KN9ghunuw