Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Primary Class Utility Skills Idea - Help Me Balance These Perks!

KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited July 2021 in General Discussion
I was thinking about the utility skills that Rogues and Mages will have and it got me thinking about some of the opportunities other classes may enjoy. Here is my thought process below. Keep in mind "Classes will have utility abilities, such as detecting traps and other hazards. For example: The Mage's detection spell casts light and reveals magical explosive hazards".

What I am trying to suggest here is a system of utility skills that help to create an atmosphere of quality teamwork. Imagine being in a dungeon and aside from the dungeon mobs, the potential for pvp counters, and the boss fights, you have players with additional jobs to do. Triggering a trap may be because a specific player failed to do their part and keep an eye out. You missed additional loot and it will be because the Rogue didn't find the secret path. Always blame the Rogue anyway. Utility = NON combat skill and can add so much to the game while really doing so little.

Bard - I'm thinking some form of out of combat quick regeneration? Obviously play some cool music and if multiple bards are doing this, make the music sync up but with different instruments adding on as additional bards use their skill. Short cooldown and very specifically, out of combat. Give the Bard the spyglass that Rogues are supposed to be getting?

Cleric - Light the way with an orb that brightens up the place. A simple orb of light. This could help us to see jumping puzzles better, see all paths, maybe change the mechanics of certain monsters? Blind some of them into not using certain moves?

Fighter - Physical trap detection. Pretty self explanatory but it also opens up the possibility for a difference between magical traps and physical trap detection. Activate to detect physical traps on your mini map. There was talk of a grappling hook in game. Give that thing to the Fighter as a way to cross to different paths. If dungeons are set up in a way that bosses could roam through the dungeon, the Fighter can be given the utility of sensing or smelling the boss giving the group insight on which path to take. Temporary notification (visually) on which path to go for the Fighter.

Mage - Magical trap detection. Activate to detect magical traps on your mini map. Even cooler, have the Mage create an orb that follows the Mage (similar to the Cleric idea). This orb can be the thing that illuminates the magical traps allowing for clerics to disarm them. The mage could set up a mirror image that would act as a security alarm system of sorts. The mirror image would "sound off" or alert the mage when a player not in group is near. This would help to prevent counters and get the team ready to backtrack and prepare for a fight.

Ranger - Tracking. This could be something that a ranger can activate to amplify their mini map to show the location of other players within "X" range (including stealth players) or maybe have some sort of effect in game that only the ranger can see that takes you to the nearest player that is not in your team. Maybe you activate it after a player decides to run away from you or if you are roaming and just want to find the next player to kill.

Rogue - "Rogues excel at delving the deepest dungeons and finding the most hidden of treasures." They may also get a spyglass and we knew they were getting stealth. Rogues OP.

"Rogues will have utility skills that enable them to discover hidden doors, traps and additional treasures.
These will be randomly spawned throughout different times of the day to ensure that encounters are not the same each time."

Summoner - In true summoner fashion, take those yucky old jumping puzzles some of you hate so much and give this player the opportunity to "summon" a platform removing the gap. There will be a finite amount of jumping puzzles and from the looks of it, they are simple to jump over. Why not make some of the jumps easier just in case! This utility also opens up the opportunity for Summoners to find additional loot paths as well as the Rogue. More fun for everyone!

Tank - If the Bard can't have the spyglass, give it to this behemoth. We're up in the front lines anyway. Mind you, I am suggesting this while not liking the idea at all and knowing I will be playing Tank haha. Maybe the Tank could be the one to brave the trap disarming utility after the fighter locates the trap? Tanks could hoist themselves up against the wall and allow for a player to climb up them. This one might be a little too out there but what if some high up areas offered a party buff that the tank needed to see and get someone up there. No additional loot but a party buff seems interesting...especially considering there will always be a tank in a dungeon.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you like or dislike any of these ideas? Any suggestions on what FAIR utility skills you would like to see your class have?

Comments

• Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Mage will have the light spell. Showed off in early videos.
    The cleric will have and AOE cleanse ability that clears corruption from the open world so the party can pass without taking mass damage or dieing.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    Mage will have the light spell. Showed off in early videos.
    The cleric will have and AOE cleanse ability that clears corruption from the open world so the party can pass without taking mass damage or dieing.

Sweet! I tried looking around a bit and then my brain started going off thinking about all the ideas. I love the corruption removal. This again can clear the way for potential areas of loot, monsters or buffs. I am hoping they make these utility spells have actual value even if it isn't for high end gear. Just more than the same old grind.
  • Options
    Look for pax PvE gameplay videos from several years ago on YouTube. The videos should come up. They show the early presentation of what the skills should be like for four of the arechtypes.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    This is a great video. Thank you for sharing. I love the tank "perception" idea giving you insight on where mobs are going to be spawning. I would LOVE to have this during boss fights or during defense sieges and caravan defense. The mage sight "peeling back the curtain" and showing hidden blocks to jump on was also really cool. They seem to be implementing exactly what I am hoping for.
  • Options
    I am interested in seeing what they have planned for the other four arechtypes.
    Hopefully (and I think they will) come up with something interesting that interacts with the open world like these four. I am sure they have ideas if not something they have in reserve ready to go as they work on fleshing out the rest in the background.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2021
    I'm hoping each Primary Archetype gets a handful of non-combat Utilities rather than just one each.
  • Options
    I am interested in seeing what they have planned for the other four arechtypes.
    Hopefully (and I think they will) come up with something interesting that interacts with the open world like these four. I am sure they have ideas if not something they have in reserve ready to go as they work on fleshing out the rest in the background.

What would YOU like to see in game though? I'm confident in Intrepids ability to think up a unique approach to this but it never hurts to discuss ideas on the forums. They very clearly value the feedback of the community right now and I absolutely love them for it. Maybe some of these ideas have the potential to spark something that may stick!

@Dygz I too hope that there are more than just 1 utility. I very much enjoyed playing a Hunter in wow because of the eagle eye, eyes of the beast, traps, flare to detect hidden, mini map detections, and feign death. This was so much fun and had nothing to do with dps. Eyes of the beast was completely useless and I still found enjoyment out of the ability.

Now Intrepid has the opportunity to not only create these utility skills but also incorporate new values for them. They can tie in with raiding/dungeons to open new areas, new loot, overcome obstacles, and add to lore by finding hidden "shrines" or something of that nature. Much like how guild wars had jumping puzzles, these skills could offer a way that players would need to work together to get through. Everything about this just has so much potential.