Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Let us display cloaks along with a backslot item

CROW3CROW3 Member
edited August 2021 in General Discussion
I'd like to suggest we remove cloaks from being counted as a 'back equipment slot.' I don't think I'm going way out on a limb to say players would like to display a cloak at the same time they display a backpack, shield, or ranged weapon on their back. Yes, I know there may be some clipping issues, but I'd rather be able to make that decision instead of it being made for me.

Cloaks are part and parcel of a fantasy setting, and having their display be mutually exclusive with a shield puts all tanks in a position of having to choose between showing their badass cloak or their badass shield. WoW has managed to provide this simple design pattern for 17 years, I'm not sure why AoC can't meet and exceed that baseline.

Also, let's see some quivers for bows for back and belt.

So here's what I'm proposing:

[x] Cloak (show / hide)

[x] Backslot (choose one)
[ ] Backpack
[ ] Shield
[ ] Ranged Weapon
[ ] Ranged weapon w/quiver (not an option if quiver at waist)

[x] Belt
[ ] melee weapon (one on each side)
[ ] Quiver (right / left) (not an option if quiver on back)
[ ] Potion / Pouch / scroll

Thoughts?

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I'm all for this on one condition - that players can opt to turn off displaying all cloaks on their client completely.

I personally think they look stupid at the best of times, let alone when there is a bow, backpack, or shield trying to take up the same space.
  • Options
    I think this is the best, and correct way to approach these various slots. Gives you a bit of character customization while also displaying or hiding your various equipped items for enemies to decipher.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    @CROW3 interesting idea

Could be cool to select where you want your cape positioned as well. Over the shoulder, left or right, pinned from shoulder to shoulder etc
    Sathrago wrote: »
    I think this is the best, and correct way to approach these various slots. Gives you a bit of character customization while also displaying or hiding your various equipped items for enemies to decipher.

knowing someone's gear is not really a strategy in this game as there are so many costumes and potential transmogrifications that create a grand illusion of the game in terms of visual recognition. It's more about what those items do for you vs what their appearance depicts.

As much as I am against it, it's the reality of it.
  • Options
    Could be cool to select where you want your cape positioned as well. Over the shoulder, left or right, pinned from shoulder to shoulder etc

I like it. Just musing, the design team may come up with different models to do something similar to what you’re proposing, then you could xmog and dye that model instead of having say 3 versions of that same cloak depending on how a player might want it to drape.

I think that would give some very detailed customization for folks that have a specific vision of what they want their character to look like.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Sounds great to me.
  • Options
    ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    love it, great idea
  • Options
    knickiiknickii Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm for this
  • Options
    Yea sure
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2021
    I don't think the Ashes devs have ever planned for backpacks or Shields to be placed in the back slot for gear.
    Any class can use any weapon, so I don't think it will be only Tanks who wield Shields.

The plan is for us to be able to display the items on the backpack and to display the items on the belts, so, I don't expect our options to be as simple as "cloak or backpack".
    I think we will have a Backpack display UI with slots and a Belt display UI with slots.
    I think, in general, sheathed weapons will not be competing with the back slot for gear.
    And, I expect 2H weapons and Shields to sheathe to the back and 1H weapons to sheathe to the belt with no need for back slot competition.

Choice for where to pin cloak sounds cool, but I dunno what the point is of a cloak pinned to one side of backpack or Shield.

But...we shall have to see what the devs actually implement.
  • Options
    @Dygz - That’s what I would have thought as well. The wiki says otherwise. I’m hoping it’s just the normal lag that exists between design and documentation, but I figured I’d add my thoughts explicitly anyway.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Customization for cloak, shield and weapon placement would be appreciated. A cloak draped over your shield to conceal it, pulling your cloak to one side to display your greatsword more prominently, whatever, I'm always interested in more customization.
  • Options
    Just now occurred to me that New World does a great job of sheathing Spear and Shield on the back.
    The Ashes devs should be able to figure out how to do something similar by Beta.
    I guess New World doesn't have cloaks, though. Makes me wish I could test that in NW right now.
  • Options
    I'd go in the opposite direction. Items worn are items shown. No invisible helmet. Want to show your character face and hair: remove the helmet. Don't want to see the cloak: don't wear a cloak. I don't mind the cloak, backpack and shield sandwich.

If we can turn off the display of helms and cloaks, I want that option for ALL slots. Loin cloth from level 1 to the max baby.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    gis6EQg.jpg
  • Options
    Rezzing this thread quickly after playing Pathfinder: Wrath. I thought the item slotting was worth showing off. You can see there are 8 weapon slots to manage 4 different item sets. ALL of these sets are displayed on the character model (along with the items on your belt - you can see the pots).

Very cool implementation for folks that like having a 1:1 visual representation of what I'm carrying and my character appears to be carrying.

For the image below, I added corresponding circles of the item, and dots where the item appears on the character model. Hope it's clear.

Would love to see this level of detail in Ashes. Thoughts?

item_slots.jpg
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Having 2 "loadouts" that are also visible would be cool. Obviously more than 2 is too much, but the visual part is great I agree
  • Options
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2021
    I like this idea!

Although I'd like it if a cape could be a "ranged weapon" option for mages in particular - it just seems more likely that a mage would wear a cape with a secret ability than a backpack.
    I wish I were deep and tragic