Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Walk and running movements look weird

I've watched numerous streams for a while now and there's one thing that annoys me the most and it's the way the character moves. It gives the appearance of the knees being bent which I find bizarre to say the least. I'd suggest checking Elder Scrolls Online out on how well the movement is made as well as the female curves when walking/jogging.

Is this something that will be looked at or is it just me? Would be good to know the opinions of others in these forums. Either way, it's no deal breaker for me.

Comments

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    It kinda looks like (when you look at the character running) that the knees bend towards one another.
    As if the knees try to touch one another.
    So yeah. It needs polishing
  • Options
    DenahiDenahi Member
    edited August 2021
    Hopefully it will be polished, I think the running animations has to be more akin to what the movement would look like in real life, the character shouldn't be sliding in any direction, and walking side ways in a cross legged manner looks odd and nobody walks like that to begin with. Additionally the feet's don't appear to be interacting properly with attitudes and slopes, if my character/mount or a mob is positioned on a cliff with a donwward slope, normally we'd be standing differently to accomodate the tilt, I'd probably turn sideways or lean slighty backwards. I hope that the game won't be sloppy and put some lazy standard animations for this, I honestly hope that if it realeases in 2023 it will be far superior in these intercative body animations than any other mmorpg. I sidetracked your original thread, I am sorry, but I think it's closely connected
  • Options
    True, it looks really weird, i hope intrepid take some inspiration from BDO movements, in walking, running and fighting, that game is just the best when we talk about controlling your character.
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I was hoping they didn't notice anything and in fact made the movement even more odd. I'm tired of "normal" character movement that is too real. I want to see crooked legs swinging wildly while we run, unbalanced physics in combat, and characters floating when going down hill.

In all seriousness, this is one of those things that is probably being worked on but there is no current need to implement into alpha 1.
  • Options
    The way a avatar moves in game is, to me, one of the most important aspects that make the game enjoyable. A character moving and seeming to cover more or less ground than they should, sliding forward while casting spells, or just not having fluid movements take a lot away from the game.
  • Options
    ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Wyborn wrote: »
    The way a avatar moves in game is, to me, one of the most important aspects that make the game enjoyable. A character moving and seeming to cover more or less ground than they should, sliding forward while casting spells, or just not having fluid movements take a lot away from the game.

I get ya 100%

I'm a wow vet, a human DK. Prancing as a DK feels like a disrespect to myself and the name of a Death Knight.

Some might agree, some might not but I really like the character movement in Neverwinter Online, most specifically of Ranger and Barbarian. They have that nice jog movement which feels very nice. Example of some movement:

https://youtu.be/H-P5qpRrx50

6:12 is the closest to some movement animations. (Ignore movement while in combat mode)
  • Options
    FranklyAliveFranklyAlive Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Wyborn wrote: »

I really agree with this. The level of immersion is definitely diminished. Sometimes I find myself playing WOW because it just feels good. Walking and mounts feel so connected to the ground and world, it's satisfying. Delivering this experience IMO will make or break the game. Looking forward to seeing what changes are made!