Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How will rogues play a role in large drawn out battles?

Heyo! I’ve been really thinking about this a lot. How in the hell are rogues gonna be viable in large scale battles!? Even though rogue hasn’t even been announced, I would really like fellow rogue players to give insight on past experiences with being a rogue in a large battle setting.

Nightspell for life✊!

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Disclaimer: I don't intend to play as Rogue main Archetype in Ashes.

My standard style across all games is to annoy. Make people think they can kill you. Have them overcommit, especially in 'vengeance' after you have hurt them a bit. Utilize high evasion and speed to strike fast, and even if you don't get a kill, you can't usually be ignored. Then flee, but not too fast. Time abilities so that people think they can kill you but keep falling just short, until they are out of position.

As soon as they decide to break off pursuit and turn back, either get out of sight and follow them back in (but not to attack) or find another path to another group to do the same thing. So you can both scout, and annoy. If you do get defeated, enemy is often still out of position.

It's like tripping the alarm over and over until people get sick of it. Ganking enemy scouts and dueling other Rogues trying to do the same thing to your side is also important. When your team is finally ready to move in, you go on ahead first, by now they have learned to ignore you, but then you run through, and people think 'Oh, finally we can kill her, she's going for some objective!'

Then your team mows them down from behind and you scramble to stay alive long enough to get healed, or take one for the team.

Doubly useful if you can just get around the enemy lines to attack from behind to begin with.

"Sneak Attack Commencing" - some of the most powerful words in any team Battle Arena, MMO ones included.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Well said. Almost all the stuff you said aligned with my style.
  • Options
    Depending on their invisibility and mobility skills, I think rogues can do a very good job at scouting and reporting to the team. Like in a siege, maybe infiltrating the defender's castle/ node to find a weakness, or scouting out the area to see which direction the attackers are coming from.

One thing I always associate with rogues is insane burst potential. Maybe you can sneak up behind the enemy team, and coordinated with your teamates, eliminate some of their healers so that you can wipe out the rest of their team.
  • Options
    I’d employ rogues in sieges to discern, disrupt, and distract. Well, and maybe assassinate leaders. What’s conflict without assassination?
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    My guess would be their stealth isn't a turn it on and hide until you toggle it off or become detected thing. Probably based around time or resource drain.

You could probably toggle it for x amount of time or burn a resource which would be interesting to see allowing players to vanish temporarily to land a quick opener or two depending on if they have a vanish ability to disappear temporarily in combat.

Each Rogue class would have its benefits to accommodate different playstyles and preferences.

Wouldn't be much different than any other classes viability in combat situations.

• Options
    knickiiknickii Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    My guess is they'll have backstab flanking modifiers, never give a rogue your back, and mainly help finish off someone or chase down the fleeing. Plus the above mentioned scouting possibilities
  • Options
    should be real interesting to see how the secondary archetypes and augments change from rogue class to rogue class.
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Large scale battle, rogues will be critical. I plan on using a rogue team to flank and dive on healers together. A well timed/placed strike on the enemy healers could mean a shift in the entire enemy teams positioning in the wrong direction.

I would imagine, side flanks from rogues will be a consistent thing but I highly recommend you make some rogue friends and learn to move in packs and not the typical "spawn, die, spawn" style that most people play.

If not flanking as a group, I think Rogues will have an easy time on the front lines depending on the secondary augments you choose. I am especially excited to see how Rogue summoners play. It would be cool to see floating daggers auto engage the enemy that the rogue is attacking. So much pokes.
  • Options
    Well, someone has to loot the corpses?
    Sabotage the siege engine?
    Ambush the stragglers or respawnees on their way back to the battlefield.
    Warn the main force of either sorties or reinforcements.

And give believable paranoia to the enemies.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    I try to focus on the healers as much as possible in Warcraft. If you have a healing chart find their top healer and sap, blind, smoke bomb, shadow duel, stun etc. You shut down a top healer and the battle shifts in your favor. Stunning enemy that over extend to keep them from running back to the group. Protecting the healers or casters on your side. I remember in Dark age of Camelot rogues could climb the keep walls and spread havoc inside.
    My guess would be their stealth isn't a turn it on and hide until you toggle it off or become detected thing. Probably based around time or resource drain.

I sure hope this isn't the case and its toggle on. Stealth seems to always come with multiple bugs that unstealth you for no reason as it is. Nothing like creeping up on a target and unstealth for no reason.

• Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I try to focus on the healers as much as possible in Warcraft. If you have a healing chart find their top healer and sap, blind, smoke bomb, shadow duel, stun etc. You shut down a top healer and the battle shifts in your favor. Stunning enemy that over extend to keep them from running back to the group. Protecting the healers or casters on your side. I remember in Dark age of Camelot rogues could climb the keep walls and spread havoc inside.

I sure hope this isn't the case and its toggle on. Stealth seems to always come with multiple bugs that unstealth you for no reason as it is. Nothing like creeping up on a target and unstealth for no reason.

There's probably going to be many different styles of it from class to class in the rogue archetype.
    Submarine stealth is boring and doesn't encourage real engagement for pvp. Most of the time, the stealth classes usually just spend too much time hidden and not enough time fighting relying more on their team to carry them.

If someone cant manage a cool down or a timed effect, then they're just going to have to improve their skills. A rogue survivability and effectiveness shouldn't be so heavily dedicated to them staying stealthed. The archetype has so much more potential around their agility and other abilities.

Who knows, maybe they wont even go full invisible? maybe they'll just fade? No confirmation on it yet.

Considering there is 8 variations of rogue with 4 augments, there is lots of different ones to accommodate different players.
  • Options
    Additionally,

I dont think it's wise to allow potentially hordes of players to run around in open world combat/sieges for a game like AoC to have submarine stealth, let alone with a system for corruption.

Maybe they wont be able to submarine stealth with corruption? if they could, that would be quite OP and annoying with so many ganking parties floating around. The game would broken AF.

Should be interesting to see how stealth is potentially different for each rogue class.
  • Options
    Very true. From past answers before I’m thinking also, rogues would be used for disruption and scouting.
  • Options
    I think rogues will be very important in battles for flanking, and for disrupting the enemy healers/siege equipment/other things.

I'm very interested in a kind of rogue/ranger that uses their stealth and evasiveness to stay at range, while sniping the enemy. That could be a very fun and annoying (for enemies) playstyle.
  • Options
    Probably by using stealth & burst dps to pick off stragglers & disrupt support/healers?