Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Dynamic Character Attributes

FranklyAliveFranklyAlive Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited August 2021 in General Discussion
Instead of traditional static character attributes that are set while creating your character before playing, allow certain attributes primarily (how jacked your character is) to be dependent upon what you choose to do in the game. Plate wearers carry heavy gear resulting in a stronger bigger (more jacked ;) character. Casters hold pittly wands and as a result, are a lot more naturally slender. Nothing would stop them from "working their character out" or "leveling up their Blacksmithing profession" which will help them get bigger. This makes you feel more immersed in your character, creates a level of uniqueness around your character.

I'm a caster and I know I'll get targeted as such, but let me get jacked and carry a unique sword to whip out mid PVP to catch the opponent off guard. Maybe they don't even think I'm a caster to begin with? It just brings a cool aspect.

It also just kind of makes sense that it would be this way. I guess there is always the thought that it is a video game and maybe I don't want to have to work for it as I do in the real world. It would probably naturally progress with the choices you make in the game though so wouldn't be really tough work :joy:

Comments

• Options
    ShadonSolShadonSol Moderator, Member, Alpha One
    Moved to General Discussion.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    This reminds me a bit of UO, there were skills that improved as you used them - a bit like classic WoW and weapons, but to more of an extreme. I forget the name of the actual skill it was ‘spirit’ something, but you literally just stood and spammed the ability to improve it. So my buddy Eric would log in before going to work and set a stapler up on his keyboard to spam the keybind through the day.

All this to say, interesting idea - and Intrepid would have to think through balancing the skill v. how players can game ‘working out’ to their min/max benefit.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    I like it, but it might pigeon-hole us into doing certain things to get the best possible stats for our class. That could be less fun for someone who wants to play a physically strong characters like a warrior, but also wants to spend his off-time picking flowers or cooking meals instead of lifting weights in one form or another.