Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Training area request

Training arena request: a dedicated area to practice interrupts and timings and get to understand the class being played better.
One thing I loved about Blade and Soul was a training area that allowed practice of timings for dodges, interrupts, and class skills and abilities in general. Could practice on training dummies but they don't have interrputable skills, could practice on random mobs, but they don't allow focused practice in a more forgiving environment.
The Blade and Soul system probably wouldn't work as it was instanced and from what I can tell of AoC, there is going to be as little instanced as possible. But I would love to see training dummies that maybe don't do so much damage and have an area around them that reduce cooldown times, but have interruptable/dodgable skills.

Comments

• Sounds like a cool idea!
  • JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I prefer tutorials that are instanced. I feel like Blessed did a very good job of this, recently. But show casing augments might be harder
    🔦🔱⚔️Selling pro pain and pro pain accessories. ⚔️🔱🔦
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    JustVine wrote: »
    I prefer tutorials that are instanced. I feel like Blessed did a very good job of this, recently. But show casing augments might be harder

I'll do you one better. Instanced and offline.

To keep that shit out of the game world and so that there is something for people to play with while servers are down. Hell, they could even release it weeks before launch so that people can get more familiar with the game before it goes live.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • I think having augments u should just learn as u go, test out combos on mobs and stuff.
  • How about single player arena to test class combos
    GJjUGHx.gif
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

I'll do you one better. Instanced and offline.

To keep that shit out of the game world and so that there is something for people to play with while servers are down. Hell, they could even release it weeks before launch so that people can get more familiar with the game before it goes live.

Im not sure how I feel about it being disconnected from the overworld, but if Ashes isn't going to have safe zones they need tutorials to be in a place where pvp is turned off. Sniping newbies during tutorial is a quick way to kill your game on launch.

I really feel like Skyforge did it best in terms of world immersion. I think the tutorial space could be set in Sanctus before going into Verra to achieve both synchronization with the setting without it feeling totally disconnected. I don't know about the settings view on Sanctus' technology/magic but it'd be very easy to go 'yeah our power doesn't work in Verra so if you want to fight this way you gotta earn it but studies show this test has increased survivorship amongst new colonists to Verra' and just let people test maxed out kits of all classes before going in. It's an easy way togive us a taste of Sanctus lore early on as well.

I like your early release idea. Again, not sure how I feel about it being offline, but still.

I want the tutorial to be entirely skipable after your first completion. Just give alts the same xp (but not gold) they'd have gotten and have them spawn at portal. Nothing says alt friendly like not incentivising playing the tutorial again 'because its an easy and free jump in xp.'
    @JustVine

If Sancatus was that offline world that players could play and learn in before the game went live, that would be cool.

I want the tutorial to be entirely shippable before your first completion and yield no rewards. Knowing how the play the game should be its reward.

That said, what makes you so unsure about having something like this be offline?
    TVMenSP.png
    @JustVine

If Sancatus was that offline world that players could play and learn in before the game went live, that would be cool.

I want the tutorial to be entirely shippable before your first completion and yield no rewards. Knowing how the play the game should be its reward.

That said, what makes you so unsure about having something like this be offline?

Seeing other people in i world mmediately on character create has a huge impact on player psychology and expectation. I don't know, if 'delaying' that would have an adverse effector set the wrong expectations. You have to think about the lowest common denominator when thinking about tutorials and the beginning of the game.

I feel like the alpha's tutorial was really well done in this regard. It cutely and seemlessly immigrated a huge cluster of connectors while still accounting for letting players learn on their own and next feeling too video gamey
    @JustVine

Seeing other people in i world mmediately on character create has a huge impact on player psychology and expectation. I don't know, if 'delaying' that would have an adverse effector set the wrong expectations. You have to think about the lowest common denominator when thinking about tutorials and the beginning of the game.

I feel like the alpha's tutorial was really well done in this regard. It cutely and seemlessly immigrated a huge cluster of connectors while still accounting for letting players learn on their own and next feeling too video gamey

I think that is a fair concern. I think if they did it the elite dangerous way where the player knows they are in a practice environment it would remedy that issue for most people.

Elite also did it this way because their world is also open world risk vs reward bass gameplay. That and people just seem to crash... Lol
    TVMenSP.png