Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Node buildings and professions

HumblePuffinHumblePuffin Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
I had a thought earlier and the wiki didn’t really give me an answer. Since adding buildings to nodes will require players to donate things like wood and stone, will there be a basic level of gathering available to everyone? Should everyone have the ability to gather basic mats, and then professions that are similar to mining/logging let them farm rarer versions of the mats used in crafting?

Possibly could be an unlikely scenario but what if everyone decided they wanted to go animal husbandry and we ended up with no one able to mine stone or chop lumber?

Comments

• JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I had a thought earlier and the wiki didn’t really give me an answer. Since adding buildings to nodes will require players to donate things like wood and stone, will there be a basic level of gathering available to everyone? Should everyone have the ability to gather basic mats, and then professions that are similar to mining/logging let them farm rarer versions of the mats used in crafting?

Possibly could be an unlikely scenario but what if everyone decided they wanted to go animal husbandry and we ended up with no one able to mine stone or chop lumber?

Then raw materials will fetch a higher price on the market in that area. Capitalism will solve that 'problem' quickly. If that's not how markets in Ashes will work I will personally go to war with whoever I need to go to war with or quit the game if I lose said war.

-signed a person still saltier than all of the dead sea over BDO's economic system.
    🔦🔱⚔️Selling pro pain and pro pain accessories. ⚔️🔱🔦
  • HumblePuffinHumblePuffin Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I’d personally be all about that because gathering raw mats is one of my favorite past times in an mmo. Shits soothing for some reason.

Just seems like such an important part of the world building that I didn’t really think about until I was in game and had time to sit on it. Also makes gathering professions that much more important in game sooo I guess that’s a good thing.

And here I thought I was actually going to branch out into some different professions for this once.
  • AelAel Member
    edited August 2021
    If I remember correctly it has been said that a character could master every gathering professions, although it'd be very time and resource consuming... thus I suppose that anyone may be able to collect at least basic materials :)
    "We have two lives, and the second one begins when we set foot on Verra."
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    My understanding is everyone can do basics but can only master one path so you should be able to collect basic resources. The artisan class page of the wiki has a line that says: "Players can dabble in all professions at a "beginners" level before they decide to master a particular pathway."
  • HumblePuffinHumblePuffin Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    My understanding is everyone can do basics but can only master one path so you should be able to collect basic resources. The artisan class page of the wiki has a line that says: "Players can dabble in all professions at a "beginners" level before they decide to master a particular pathway."

There we go, this and the post above it are what I was looking for but was having difficulty finding. When I couldn’t find it my mindset went to a basic I go and learn mining/herbing/mining and I’m only able to do those things. While effective it doesn’t really make sense from an immersion perspective of anyone can pick up and axe/mining pick/pull a plant. This just lets you have that ability but you’re not very good at it so you’re only able to gather basic stuff.

Getting a very basic flavor of how they want to do skill points based off of alpha play I can see how they would expand on this now. Thanks for finding it all!
  • We know that one character can do some of all professions, there will just be a limitation on how much you can master one of the 3 branches of professions. So yes, I assume anyone can gather the basic stones and wood and whatever else needed to craft a building in a node (assuming you only need basic materials to build a building, instead of processed things like bricks, planks, and nails), and assumedly freehold buildings as well.
  • edited August 2021
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Artisan_classes

it tells you that you can master most professions in your artisan class.
    it also says players will be able to "dabble" in all professions before deciding to master a particular pathway.
    That's what it currently is.