Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Crafting Mounts

I posted an idea on Ashes' Instagram and was referred to this forum - I hope I'm in the right spot!

I thought it would be interesting to have mounts that can be crafted with a high profession skill which need multiple interaction with players to bring to life. For example, a player with a high skip-building profession crafting a tree-like mount that was built with wood, metal, and various other components. This mount is inactive until you hire a player with a high enchantment skill to cast a spell on the mount, giving it life and allowing the player to ride it. Items and events like this would help bolster the ideology of community reliance.

Comments

• AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I posted an idea on Ashes' Instagram and was referred to this forum - I hope I'm in the right spot!

I thought it would be interesting to have mounts that can be crafted with a high profession skill which need multiple interaction with players to bring to life. For example, a player with a high skip-building profession crafting a tree-like mount that was built with wood, metal, and various other components. This mount is inactive until you hire a player with a high enchantment skill to cast a spell on the mount, giving it life and allowing the player to ride it. Items and events like this would help bolster the ideology of community reliance.

You're in the right spot.

Is the 'enchantment skill' part of this important to your model?

Since ShipBuilding skill is a thing, but I don't think 'Enchantment Skill' is...

Combining multiple professions into building a ship is pretty likely, but you said 'mounts', and I am not sure you mean 'Caravans'.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Sorry, I was just using enchanting as an example.

My main thought is that it would be interesting to rely on multiple professions to create a mount. Let me be a bit more detailed.

A character is proficient in lumberjacking, and he finds a recipe for a husk of a wooden mount. He builds it, but in order to fill the mount with energy to make it move/bring it to life, it requires a special herb mixture or a special jewel, and the only players who can make it are those who are proficient in alchemy or jewel crafting. Once all the pieces are combined/the ritual is completed, the wooden husk becomes a ridable mount.

This would help (in a small way) bolster the in-game economy as well as player interaction.
  • Azherae wrote: »

You're in the right spot.

Is the 'enchantment skill' part of this important to your model?

Since ShipBuilding skill is a thing, but I don't think 'Enchantment Skill' is...

Combining multiple professions into building a ship is pretty likely, but you said 'mounts', and I am not sure you mean 'Caravans'.

Sorry, I was just using enchanting as an example.

My main thought is that it would be interesting to rely on multiple professions to create a mount. Let me be a bit more detailed.

A character is proficient in lumberjacking, and he finds a recipe for a husk of a wooden mount. He builds it, but in order to fill the mount with energy to make it move/bring it to life, it requires a special herb mixture or a special jewel, and the only players who can make it are those who are proficient in alchemy or jewel crafting. Once all the pieces are combined/the ritual is completed, the wooden husk becomes a ridable mount.

This would help (in a small way) bolster the in-game economy as well as player interaction.
    Sorry, I was just using enchanting as an example.

Well, I'm on board. You've made me realize that I don't actually remember ever seeing any indication that mounts will have gear slots, so people making 'armor or saddles or similar for them' isn't assured. I'll check the wiki later.

If not, then I could also see this being part of how it works. Alchemy, Blacksmithing, and things like that, being part of the requirement to get 'Armored Stallion' or 'War Rhino' because you need other stuff for them. Sometimes Animal Husbandry and breeding would still be involved, but other professions come in too.

• HumblePuffinHumblePuffin Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Seems like this could definitely be a possibility. Animal husbandry will already have a huge focus on player bred mounts, so I could see the including some unique mounts in other areas of the crafting professions, with animal husbandry being the main outlet for player created mounts.

Also @Azherae Mount barding will be a thing so that overlap between professions is definitely planned to be included. https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Mount_barding
    Seems like this could definitely be a possibility. Animal husbandry will already have a huge focus on player bred mounts, so I could see the including some unique mounts in other areas of the crafting professions, with animal husbandry being the main outlet for player created mounts.

Also @Azherae Mount barding will be a thing so that overlap between professions is definitely planned to be included. https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Mount_barding

There it was, thank you. I felt like I'd seen it but the wiki is large and I brainfailed on the word for it, which is ironic given that I make mount armor in BDO...

Ah, the top tier content of 'waiting 45 minutes for a hired worker to do something with a pile of materials I left in storage while I went to do something else'. Riveting.

• AelAel Member
    edited August 2021
    It sounds like a great idea indeed !!

I'd love to see it implemented as a kind of "hidden rewards" or any kind of rare specific feature.
    So that animal husbandry would remain the main profession used to get new mounts, but that through some special quests other professions would be able to work together in order to create the crafted mounts you're describing !!

It could even be something specificaly used to create several-places mounts (idk if this has been discussed already ?).
    Imagine you're just reaching a new town, and there you run into a giant wooden turtle -or whatever- leaving the town with a whole guild party inside in order to do some dungeon :D

Any extrapolation aside, again that's a good idea <3
    "We have two lives, and the second one begins when we set foot on Verra."
  • KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I love this idea. As far as I understand currently, mounts will indeed be touched by multiple people when being created. I REALLY hope (like....a shit load of hope here. More than the Jedis last hope amount of hope) they don't have vendors in the game offering much of anything. This game should rely on everyone to do everything. We will all have value and a purpose for the community.

That being said, anything that helps promote the community aspect is welcomed by me. Ship builders building mounts for the sea and not just building ships. Make it so an enchanter can bring this wooden seahorse to life and be useable as a mount on sea? Where the hell do I sign up!?
  • Just if i can build a flintstone car
  • Ramirez wrote: »
    Just if i can build a flintstone car

Given how the flinstones car works, wouldn’t that mean you’re the real mount?
  • edited August 2021
    sounds like this game is going to have a hundreds of mounts. Between the mounts found in the world, animal husbandry and breeding variations, plus the potential for crafter mounts. Dont forget about the skins for mounts.

mounts, mounts, and more mounts. lol
  • The only thing that comes to mind is some weird magical motorbike and if that's what you're asking for, I'm against it. I do agree that multiple professions should be required to make certain things, such as boats, but not 'mounts'.
  • I dunno. It'd have to be for a very small select few high-tier mounts. Making one profession reliant on all the others just seems like gimping that profession, to me. Are any of the other professions going to be reliant on the rest?
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/