Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Please add controller support

For the life of me, I just can't get my head to work properly when using mouse and keyboard. I've tried over and over again with many games but my brain is just wired wrong. Please please please, for everything holy, PLEASE add controller support. I really want to play this game so damn much but I won't be able to without controller support. Several PC games have it like ESO which is why I hope that you seriously consider implementing it.

I know that people will keep saying that I should keep using m/k and that it'll be about muscle memory but, again, my brain is just wired wrong. It won't work with me with m/k.

Comments

• George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Controllers have less buttons than keyboards.
    Controllers require combinations to achieve the full potential of keyboards.

A controller designed game would require one of the two:
    1) Slower paced mechanics (ff14)
    2) Small sized hotbars (eso)

Mmos should not be build for controllers.
    This is life. Gotta learn to deal with tough situations.
  • ShadonSolShadonSol Moderator, Member, Alpha One
    Controller support is being considered but would be something that would get added closer to launch.
    The latest info we have on that is from 2018 tho, so things could have changed behind the scenes in the meantime.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/User_interface#Controller_support
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • So the only thing I can do is hope for a console version (which will most likely never happen)? That sucks because I've played ESO for years and I'm one of those who spend A LOT of money on styles, houses etc. I would rather spend it on Ashes.
    pleximus wrote: »
    So the only thing I can do is hope for a console version (which will most likely never happen)? That sucks because I've played ESO for years and I'm one of those who spend A LOT of money on styles, houses etc. I would rather spend it on Ashes.

Ashes main target isnt profit. If that was the case the people working there wouldnt get into Game Design. Their main aim is to make a good product.
  • JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

So combine buttons, i don't see the limitation in controller support. Build around keyboard, Give controller players a limited version of what third party apps already can do.
    🔦🔱⚔️Selling pro pain and pro pain accessories. ⚔️🔱🔦
    Combine buttons all you want. But dont slow down the games pace just to include controllers.
  • JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Combine buttons all you want. But dont slow down the games pace just to include controllers.

Im down with that. Glad we came to an agreement.
    🔦🔱⚔️Selling pro pain and pro pain accessories. ⚔️🔱🔦
  • pleximus wrote: »
    So the only thing I can do is hope for a console version (which will most likely never happen)? That sucks because I've played ESO for years and I'm one of those who spend A LOT of money on styles, houses etc. I would rather spend it on Ashes.

Ashes main target isnt profit. If that was the case the people working there wouldnt get into Game Design. Their main aim is to make a good product.

It doesn't work like that. The money is needed for salaries, maintenance, company profit for future loans from banks & financial institutions. I hardly think they'll be satisfied with the status quo in the years to come.
    Yeah mate. Learn to use mouse and keyboard
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Thank you, I have said the same thing in far more words too many times.

Controller support comes with a cost, and I prefer not to pay that cost for something that I will never use.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • No.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • If controller support comes it will be through menu systems. If you want to play MMOs you're going to want a mouse and keyboard. You're not even going to be able to type on a controller, and this is an MMO. You're going to need to be social.
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If controller support comes it will be through menu systems. If you want to play MMOs you're going to want a mouse and keyboard. You're not even going to be able to type on a controller, and this is an MMO. You're going to need to be social.

Shhh... Don't say that.... You would get the "Proximity Voice Chat" people to come crawling out of the wood works with tales of how it improves every game...
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Combine buttons all you want. But dont slow down the games pace just to include controllers.

Absolutely. People rag on FF14 being a slow game when in reality there are some boss fights that hardly 2% of the entire population can defeat once, and that is with a keyboard and mouse. They may be gimping themselves by going with a controller but I think at least the choice to do so would be nice. I however agree that the game should not suffer in design and difficulty to accommodate someone using an alternative control layout.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu