Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Culture and Weddings

Zurgo_DrakuthZurgo_Drakuth Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
So this is a rather long thought that brings many questions to mind regarding lore and RP when it comes to cultural nuances and rituals like weddings; In various fantasy stories regarding Orcs when it came time to look for their life mate (using Warcraft as an example here) The pair would go out hunting and take down the largest most vicious prey they could find that would prove to be a challenge but not truly risk themselves. For Elves it generally came down to a show of prowess, Humans depending on lineage could be anywhere from a simple hunt for materials to offer or a quest to prove they're a hero (classic hero fantasy getting the princess). Dwarves on the other hand would have to either show their craftsmanship or battle prowess to get their beloved's family's blessing...Now we know very little about the cultural nuances regarding the various races of Verra right now as we've only just completed Alpha 1 but being able to incorporate such things would give more RP opportunities when people make those bonds.

Comments

• Options
    I'll hire out my bow skills to facilitate divorces. I imagine this will be pretty lucrative. ;)
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    CROW3 wrote: »
    I'll hire out my bow skills to facilitate divorces. I imagine this will be pretty lucrative. ;)

And my axe.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

I think that's moreso the 'Widowmaker' class?

Unless you've got some really interesting tranquilizers.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited August 2021
    JustVine wrote: »
    And my axe.

I laughed way too hard at this. :D
    Azherae wrote: »
    I think that's moreso the 'Widowmaker' class? Unless you've got some really interesting tranquilizers.

I have no idea ... *looks around furtively* ... what you might mean.... :#

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think, when we will know more about lore from each race, we will be more able to understand how wedding, but also many other thing in "basic life cycle" work for each. It mostly comes like the flow of the river.

For example you spoke about orks, doing a hunt in couple. They are a warrior culture. And so, before fighting ennemies during war, they fight animals to eat. (so they hunt). And while in real life, war, and hunting were more a man's things, fantasy races are around both sex doing such things.
    Those culture mostly have rite to enter adulthood around doing your first hunt or similar thing. Wedding being a lot about symbolic act. And because either man an woman goes to hunt, it become natural to have a "binding hunt".

Same goes for all symbolic around elven, dwarf weddings. and tulnars weddings also.

So just wait to see what lore will show to races, and the wedding rite will become quite obvious i think
  • Options
    ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think it would be cool if tulnar had something akin to a wrestle match. You either spam buttons or a mini game where you try to counter moves the opponent is trying to do on you and vice verse
  • Options
    HexcatHexcat Member
    edited August 2021
    JustVine wrote: »

And my axe.

Me a necromancer:
    And last client's bride 💀☠️👻
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    So this is a rather long thought that brings many questions to mind regarding lore and RP when it comes to cultural nuances and rituals like weddings; In various fantasy stories regarding Orcs when it came time to look for their life mate (using Warcraft as an example here) The pair would go out hunting and take down the largest most vicious prey they could find that would prove to be a challenge but not truly risk themselves. For Elves it generally came down to a show of prowess, Humans depending on lineage could be anywhere from a simple hunt for materials to offer or a quest to prove they're a hero (classic hero fantasy getting the princess). Dwarves on the other hand would have to either show their craftsmanship or battle prowess to get their beloved's family's blessing...Now we know very little about the cultural nuances regarding the various races of Verra right now as we've only just completed Alpha 1 but being able to incorporate such things would give more RP opportunities when people make those bonds.

I reaaaaaaaaaally like this idea, like making the union a type of quest!!!!
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    I think this is a great idea! I also think, at least at a barebones level, it could be really "easy" to implement.

At its base, it could just be a simple quest like: Go hunt the rare "X" beast and bring its head XD. Or craft "X" item.

And more fully fleshed-out version would be: A narrative quest or fun mini-game like Conrad mentioned.

Also to add on more ideas and include game mechanics like professions: You could select where your marriage takes place. IE: Hire a shipwright who has a special Ren'Kai boat recipe/blueprint, to make a boat for a special on the water ceremony
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Might be awkward to lock the quest to race-type, if you want to allow interracial marriage?

But you can keep race-type if you split it into a combination of "bride quest" and "groom quest" both of which come together for the "joining" ceremony?
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    And as for Tulnar...

*shudders*
    oh. no.
    I'm not even going to go there.
  • Options
    maouw wrote: »
    Might be awkward to lock the quest to race-type, if you want to allow interracial marriage?

But you can keep race-type if you split it into a combination of "bride quest" and "groom quest" both of which come together for the "joining" ceremony?

Yep I was thinking for interracial marriages you get to do both, or select one or the other or w/e combo of choice. Kinda like you said, you experience both cultures to join the two of you.
  • Options
    oui mais cest dla merde tout ca car tu te mari que une fois donc ca serais du taff pour rien car ca te servirais que une fois donc pourquoi que la compagnie se forcerais le cul pour ca
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited September 2021
    MIKEHEAL wrote: »
    oui mais cest dla merde tout ca car tu te mari que une fois donc ca serais du taff pour rien car ca te servirais que une fois donc pourquoi que la compagnie se forcerais le cul pour ca

in anglais

"yes but that's shit all that because you get married only once so it would be work for nothing because it would serve you only once so why would the company force their ass for that"

@MIKEHEAL Voici le lien vers le traducteur google pour le français vers l'anglais

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    @MIKEHEAL
    irl people are willing to pay 10x more for products with "wedding" on their label.

You may not be interested, but I know many people who like these systems and find them enjoyable.

I am curious if there are plans for couple-exclusive content (couple quests, couple emotes, etc.).
    Last thing I remember is Steven talking about beds and bunkbeds hahaha
  • Options
    And as for Tulnar...

*shudders*
    oh. no.
    I'm not even going to go there.

It'd be too hard. You'd have to make differences for every animal/creature/tree/fungus/etc that's in the game.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Last thing I remember is Steven talking about beds and bunkbeds hahaha

Creepy. Just reeeaaaal creepy. There are going to be kids playing this game...
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/