What does immersion mean to you?

2»

Comments

• Fozzik wrote: »

If some elements, perhaps the majority of elements, are created for their own sake and with life and a story in mind, and game play is built within or on top...then you get immersion.

Great point, I like the idea of the town. It would be great to see NPCs that "patrol" around the town, blacksmiths/artisans that carry bundles of stuff to different shops. Imagine how fun it would be to be training up blacksmithing and some dwarves walk up with a load of rocks and minerals and drop them off at the shopkeep. Did that help you at all with leveling up blacksmithing? No. But it sure makes the world feel more alive, like other things besides the players goals and actions, are happening.
  • I think that you can't really be fully immersed in an MMO unless it's on a rp server or something. You'll always get tons of players jumping around like coked-up rabbits, or standing completely still like statues because they're afk. Sure, the devs can do things to make the surroundings more immersive, but they can't do anything about the players. So, I don't really care about immersion too much, and would rather sacrifice it if it meant making things more functional, fun, and balanced.

And no, Witcher 3 was not immersive. There was too little interactivity with the NPCs. They were all immune to attacks for instance. It felt like window-shopping. A good illusion, but not actually immersive when you tried to interact with things. R* did an amazing job with RDR2 immersion though.
  • pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    On a basic level everything within the game world needs makes sense therein. Its swords and spells, you won't find a Ford or a Jaguar in a remote barn, or a Starbucks cup in a tavern.

I hope they refrain from popular culture references that WoW was fond of.

Ambient sounds and music are extremely helpful in transporting a player. Skyrim has excellent ambient sounds and music. And the music itself is appropriate: there aren't any electric guitar riffs.

• MybroViajeroMybroViajero Member
    edited September 2021
    That I can see common sense in the MMO

For instance :
    • I do a search mission for some very dangerous material, that material must be treated with care, so I suppose that the location or the work to find that material must be dangerous, where it deserves a challenge and not just walk, kill 1 or 2 npcs and that's it.
    • I do something in the world, this must have some repercussion, such as if such a lot we have deforestation, or if I kill someone important socially, that has repercussions, not that it is simply the typical mission of doing something and leaving, that the things have consequences.
    • That the conversations with the NPCs make sense, not just talking for the sake of talking, but it is something involving where they tell you a story and the details of that conversation make sense when you talk with another NPC or in the future story, or in upcoming events, etc. .
    • That the narrative of the events is not something linear, but rather enveloping

A great example of this is the creation of the world of One piece by Eiichiro Oda , He has created a world where small details have and give so much meaning to his world that you can connect details that appeared in manga 190 with details of manga 980, there are literally things that tell you much before and just the current chapters of the manga give you the reference to understand or understand it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH5OHSUpfgU

A world with common sense is a very reproductive world for an MMO environment.
    EDym4eg.png
  • While exploring, being restricted by natural terrain and not invisible out of bounds walls. I also like regional music that matches the environment.
  • Kornflakes wrote: »
    While exploring, being restricted by natural terrain and not invisible out of bounds walls.

I totally agree - but I hate when games have ‘open environments’ then box you into mountain tunnels you can’t climb.

FFXIV does this all the time. WoW is hit and miss. ES RPGs and RDR2 created actual open spaces with limitless exploration.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Not playing with a screen full of addons.
    I prefer player skill over data.

I dont like weird costumes and weird mounts

I dont like child-like or loly races

I dont like over realism with armors or weapons (banner lord, life is feudal etc etc). I also dont like steampunk and advanced technology bullshiet if we are going for swords and bows and wizards.

as George put it, end of topic ;)
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It's High Fantasy...all depends on how high.
    Weird is subjective. Gollum might be weird to some people.

Ashes is based on Pathfinder, but we will also have a lot of artistry coming from the minds of Bacon and Margaret. We're going to have some weird and whimiscal mounts and pets and... mobs.

Steampunk also has swords, bows and wizards...
    But, it's typically set in the late 19th/early 20th century
    Ashes more closely emulates the 16th/early 17th century - before steam-powered mechanics were popular.

There were potion launchers centuries in Verra's past. Plus, we'll have to see what kinds of influences Sanctus has on Verra tech and the Verra environment.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited September 2021
    But that's not the topic
  • Immersion for me is like appreciating and feeling as many aspects of the game as possible with as much intensity as I would for any “real life” situation. For example, I want to appreciate a new zone, all the sounds, the movements, etc the same way I’d appreciate it if I was seeing and feeling it in reality for the first time and many more times to come. Mentally and emotionally interacting with the game is more important to me than anything else in an mmo. When interacting with others in game, I try to keep it as if the world we are interacting in is the primary reality. I don’t like any RL drama seeping in, that ruins it for me. Games that aren’t rpg’s don’t give me a sense of immersion often, and I’m not able to become immersed in every rpg I have tried. But if I can’t, I usually don’t play it long.
  • misty wrote: »
    Games that aren’t rpg’s don’t give me a sense of immersion often, and I’m not able to become immersed in every rpg I have tried. But if I can’t, I usually don’t play it long.

Well said!

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited September 2021
    If a game isn't fun, it can't be immersive. If a game is fun, that's halfway to making a game immersive.

So, first and foremost, the game needs to be fun and not feel like a chore. I can't even remember the last time I felt immersed while playing an MMORPG.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    BaSkA13 wrote: »
    If a game isn't fun, it can't be immersive. If a game is fun, that's halfway to making a game immersive.
    Life Is Feudal is one of the least fun games I have ever played in my life, but ill be damned if that is not what made is so immersive. You really felt like you were out in the fields, slaving away at the ground trying to make it flat. XD
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ck2 and bannerlord are great immersive games as well. They have their issues but also their great parts
  • KornflakesKornflakes Member
    edited September 2021
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Kornflakes wrote: »
    While exploring, being restricted by natural terrain and not invisible out of bounds walls.

I totally agree - but I hate when games have ‘open environments’ then box you into mountain tunnels you can’t climb.

FFXIV does this all the time. WoW is hit and miss. ES RPGs and RDR2 created actual open spaces with limitless exploration.

Great point, if the map and terrain isn't well designed and mostly non-navigable it just becomes obnoxious.
  • MybroViajeroMybroViajero Member
    edited September 2021
    This would definitely be a good example to consider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DANwfC0GWI

EDym4eg.png
  • About as much as a fart in the ocean.

I don't pretend I am the characters that I play in game. I just experience the game with them. Even if they try to sell me Aerosmith Tickets in game I probably wouldn't care. (True story) xD
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East