Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Don't make the same mistake WoW did with its hybrid classes. Dont wait 3 years to learn this lesson.

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Do you think that effectiveness determines how much weight you can pull or not?
    You should be able to read what was written and properly comprehend my response.
    The question you are now asking is not the same thing as the statement that I responded to.

What makes it false? What makes the resulting data irrelevant?
    I already explained that to you.
  • Options
    beaushinklebeaushinkle Member
    edited September 2021
    Dygz wrote: »
    You should be able to read what was written and properly comprehend my response.
    The question you are now asking is not the same thing as the statement that I responded to.
    Call it a personal failing then on my end, if that helps. Regardless, do you think that effectiveness determines how much weight you can pull?
    I already explained that to you.
    Can you point me to where you think you did this?
    mmo design essays: http://beaushinkle.xyz/
  • Options
    I said what I said.

• Options
    :smile:
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Hey @Dygz just to clarify something. You still think that secondary class augments don't/shouldn't shift you towards your secondary's role on the triangle right?
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I never said they don't and shouldn't shift you closer. The whole point is that they do shift you closer to the secondary role.
    What I said is that primary role and secondary role don't swap. Secondary role remains secondary.
  • Options
    I never said they don't and shouldn't shift you closer. The whole point is that they do shift you closer to the secondary role.
    What I said is that primary role and secondary role don't swap. Secondary role remains secondary.

Alright cool thank you. And you also still believe a secondary role shouldn't do more than support the person playing the main of your secondary or enhancing your own role in a full group of 1 of each? Like if the game had a way to do this by investing their entire build gear etc, it wouldn't be meeting the goal of what you think the design is/should be?

• Options
    edited September 2021
    I'm not sure I even understand what you were trying to convey.
    If I do understand what you wrote correctly...

What I've said is don't expect that an x/Cleric should be able to replace the need for a Cleric/x in an 8-person group because the devs are designing and balancing encounters with the expectation they will require one of each Primary Archetype. Steven has specifically stated that Secondary Archetype Cleric will not replace the need for a Primary Archetype Cleric in an 8-person group.
    He has said something similar about Primary Archetype Tanks.

If you can find a build that is an exception - great!
    It's probably not impossible, but expect that to be fairly rare, rather than common.
    The devs are designing with the intention to ensure that all Primary Archetype/x are viable - even in a max level dungeon or raid.
    The devs are not trying to ensure that any x/Primary Archetype can fulfill the primary role.

When someone says, "Summoner should be able to main tank in an 8-person group."
    My response is, "That's unlikely because the devs are designing for an 8-person group to require one of each Primary Archetype and if a Summoner can, in general, use their tank-oriented Summon to main tank as well or better than Primary Archetype Tank, that means there is no need for one of every Primary Archetype in an 8-person group."

But, none of this is binary. In the sense that if an x/Tank can't main tank in an 8-person group, it's useless.
    Expect a Summoner's tank-oriented Summon to tank fairly well - even if it can't out-tank a Primary Archetype Tank in an 8-person group. Brood Warden is the most likely candidate to be able to main tank in an 8-person group.
    Try it. See if it's possible to out main tank the Tank/x. But not with the expectation that it SHOULD be possible. Rather with the expectation that it MIGHT be possible.

(I don't know how many x/Clerics it would take to compensate for a missing Cleric/x, but it's probably more than one.)
  • Options
    I'm not sure I even understand what you were trying to convey.
    If I do understand what you wrote correctly...

What I've said is don't expect an x/Cleric to be able to replace the need for a Cleric/x in an 8-person group because the devs are designing and balancing encounters with the expectation they will need one of each Primary Archetype. Steven has specifically stated that Secondary Archetype Cleric will not replace the need for a Primary Archetype Cleric in an 8-person group.
    He has said something similar about Tanks.

If you can find a build that is an exception - great!
    It's probably not impossible, but expect that to be fairly rare, rather than common.
    The devs are designing with the intention to ensure that all Primary Archetype/x are viable - even in a max level dungeon or raid.
    The devs are not trying to ensure that any x/Primary Archetype can fulfill the primary role.

When someone says, "Summoner should be able to main tank in an 8-person group."
    My response is, "That's unlikely because the devs are designing for an 8-person group to require one of each Primary Archetype and if a Summoner can, in general, use their tank-oriented Summon to main tank as well or better than Primary Archetype Tank, that means there is no need for one of every Primary Archetype in an 8-person group."

But, none of this is binary.
    Expect a Summoner's tank-oriented Summon to tank fairly well - even if it can't out-tank a Primary Archetype Tank in an 8-person group. Brood Warden is the most likely candidate to be able to main tank in an 8-person group.
    Try it. See if it's possible to out main tank the Tank/x. But not with the expectation that it SHOULD be possible. Rather with the expectation that it MIGHT be possible.

Ok now, here is my real question since it sounds like I am not misreading you. What would the purpose of an emnity augment school for /tank be in your mind? What is the goal of a person who's role is not to be able to be 'as good as a real' tank here in taking it if it exists?

• Options
    edited September 2021
    I don't understand that question at all.
    Is there an Enmity augment School? Is that what I call the Threat School?
    "A person who's role is not to be able to be 'as good as a real' tank"??? That right there is absurd gobbledy-gook.

An x/Tank would use a Threat augment when they want to generate Threat and have an opponent focus on them rather than on other people in the group.
  • Options
    "A person who's role is not to be able to be 'as good as a real' tank"??? That right there is absurd gobbledy-gook.

Yes the 'threat school' as in 'if I put this on a move I generate more threat to get high up on the enemies threat list.'

Well it's lack of clarity is from having to walk through all your logical restrictions on 'What is correct' without leading you down the wrong line of inquiry. I will take that as an indication that I would fail to convey my questions properly. Please ignore it entirely therefore.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    I mean - it seems like you're trying to lead me down the wrong line of inquiry.
    You aren't mirroring what I've actually said.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I mean - it seems like you're trying to lead me down the wrong line of inquiry.
    You aren't mirroring what I've actually said.

That was... an incredibly revelatory two lines.

@JustVine I'm treating this as absolute confirmation of 'that theory' now.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    ...the devs are designing and balancing encounters with the expectation they will require one of each Primary Archetype.
    Do you have a dev quote on this?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I have a bunch. Several of which I've already shared.
  • Options

An x/Tank would use a Threat augment when they want to generate Threat and have an opponent focus on them rather than on other people in the group.

Basically he's asking why would I want to generate threat/enmity/aggro if I'm not the group's tank.

Sure it would be nice to have someone be "off tank" so if the tank drops the ball they're there to pick up immediately. But skill points are limited why would I want to put skill points into something that is for the event of failure. I don't want to have to build for just in case scenarios I want to focus on my primary role.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    What we want the Fighter to do is to be able to cut through enemy lines, get to the support area of a raid perhaps and take out healers with some quick DPS burst damage. We want them to be masters of different weapons. We want them to be able to be versatile in whether or not they want to be a ranged fighter or melee one. It's going to be up to the player.
    –- Steven Sharif

In PvE, the Fighter/Tank might choose to take out the NPC Clerics by using Threat augments to focus the NPC Healers on her/himself.
    In PvP, the Fighter/Tank might choose to take out the PC Mages by using Damage Mitigation augments to soak the Mages' burst damage.

Secondary role is secondary. I don't know why that is so difficult to understand.

That really has nothing to do with the Tank/x dropping the ball or just in case scenarios.
    If you don't want to build an x/Tank, don't. Threat augments are augments to your Active Skills - so you are inherently focused on your primary role via Active Skills. The Threat augments are just extra.
  • Options
    SirChancelotSirChancelot Member
    edited September 2021
    What's the tank/x doing then if the fighter/tank is doing all of that?
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2021

One would hope the adds are substantial which means one tank can't tank boss and adds at the same time. If the main tank can tank the boss and the adds at the same time its bad raid design. Either the adds are ridiculous or the boss is ridiculous in such a circumstance.

Edit: Spelling mistakes.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »

One would hope the adds are substantial which means one tank can't tank boss and adds at the same time. If the main tank can tank the boss and the adds at the same time its bad raid design. Either the adds are ridiculous or the boss is ridiculous in such a circumstance.

Is this a boss scenario, it sounded like he was talking about packs of mobs
  • Options
    Well, packs of mobs don't often require a tank, although, I have to admit, one can pull larger amounts of mobs if you have a Tank/Healer/DPS Grind Group.

Naturally, if a non x/tank can kill packs of mobs, then a x/tank will be able to kill packs of mobs. If we are just discussing mobs then a tank isn't really required.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Is this a boss scenario, it sounded like he was talking about packs of mobs

You misunderstood @JustVine's point a bit, she was asking about something more specific to Dygz.

Remember that this is, again, semantics. It all comes down to what Dygz', or anyone else's perception of what 'Primary Role of an Archetype' is. Since Dygz is quoting directly from Steven usually, Dygz is definitionally right.

The question is 'what about all the unspoken assumptions that come from past games?' or maybe better put as 'what does Intrepid view as an assumed aspect of an Archetype?'

In the case of a Fighter, there's not as much clarity. "Burst Damage Gap Closer with weapon mastery" is what we get, and we don't know what 'Weapon Mastery' means.

That's why she discontinued the line of thought. It's getting even further down into semantics.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    I have a bunch. Several of which I've already shared.
    Could you do me a personal favor and re-link one of those? I'm having trouble finding it. Or if anyone else has a link that would work too.
  • Options
    Nope. You never want to do your own research.
    And then when I do it for you, you say you missed it.
    That's on you.
  • Options
    ptitoineptitoine Member
    edited September 2021
    I dont really know how they plan to do it. Cause it was only archetype in Alpha 1 but I was seeing it more like Guild War 1 than WoW Vanilla to be Honest but we,ll see
  • Options
    Nope. You never want to do your own research.
    And then when I do it for you, you say you missed it.
    That's on you.
    Alternate hypothesis: I do a bunch of my own research, as evidenced by the plethora of links that I provide. I don't just "miss" you providing evidence, you just aren't actually doing it but think you are.

Did you paste a dev quote that directly says that they want to balance around 8-man parties having 1 of each primary somewhere in this thread? I'm totally willing to go through and paste every single one of your dev quotes here if you answer yes.

• Options
    The sixty four (64) classes are partitioned into eight primary archetypes. Balancing of active skills only relates to these eight primary archetypes.[1][2]

There are four primary groups of augments assigned to each base archetype. Balancing of augments relates to the four augment groups for each of the eight archetypes.[2]

Not sure who the quote is from, but, the information is a quote.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    The sixty four (64) classes are partitioned into eight primary archetypes. Balancing of active skills only relates to these eight primary archetypes.[1][2]

There are four primary groups of augments assigned to each base archetype. Balancing of augments relates to the four augment groups for each of the eight archetypes.[2]

Not sure who the quote is from, but, the information is a quote.
    Yeah, that's on the right track, but that doesn't directly say that 8 man parties are balanced around having 1 of each primary.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Did you paste a dev quote that directly says that they want to balance around 8-man parties having 1 of each primary somewhere in this thread? I'm totally willing to go through and paste every single one of your dev quotes here if you answer yes.
    I posted several. Yes.

• Options
    Yeah, I understand the same. I haven't seen a quote that states the groups will only be balanced when all 8 Primaries are in a group. The issue around balance is a mirky one because, you can't balance all group combos. It is entirely personal choice how one would build a group. I doubt all 8 Utilities Skills will be required in every encounter.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif